Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 12:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Innerstanding" and the language of cults.
"Innerstanding" and the language of cults.
I came across a YouTube channel called Innerstanding, by Sevan Bomar (real name James Evan Bomar III). He uses well-defined words, muddies their contextual meaning and even distorts discrete definitions. Why? Because someone that second-guesses words they're using is easily manipulated.

We use language (well, the vast majority anyways, there are exceptions) to formalize and structure our thoughts. You can only do this effectively and coherently if you use discrete contextual meanings in language. If you muddy the definitions of words (and I don't mean in the way that there are, like, several definitions for 'get') then your thoughts effectively become a scrambled mess. It's basically language schizophrenia.

Next up is replacing abstract concepts with colorful replacements meanings, and Sevan does this constantly with words like 'mind' & 'energy' to mean some nebulous concept disassociated apart from dictionary definitions.

Thirdly, he's straight up trying to sell you some bullshit narrative about how you can solve tangible problem with just thinking about it and I don't mean that in an introspection kind of way. And sell you literal products as well.

Fun to watch though, and to disseminate and pick apart his bullshit.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman
RE: "Innerstanding" and the language of cults.
Sounds like what Drich does.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Sal, isn't that what the left are doing now. Changing the meaning of words to mean whatever they want them to mean.
We basically force each other to change our language (what we say, what we don't say, and the context in which we say it) through virtue signaling, guilt, etc

It's Orwell's double speak all over again.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(July 12, 2020 at 10:01 pm)ignoramus Wrote: Sal, isn't that what the left are doing now. Changing the meaning of words to mean whatever they want them to mean.
We basically force each other to change our language (what we say, what we don't say, and the context in which we say it) through virtue signaling, guilt, etc

As a veritable member of the gay community, I am not particularly fond of the personal pronoun movement either.
Come closer Sal, the congregation here wants to LOVE BOMB you.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
hump with love! hump with love!

to the OP innerstanding sounds terrible!

One thing I've seen lately that my left friends (most of my friends are left like me) are doing is saying #defund the police. They go on to explain that they still want police they just want better police. I said the word they are looking for is called #reform!
(July 12, 2020 at 10:01 pm)ignoramus Wrote: Sal, isn't that what the left are doing now. Changing the meaning of words to mean whatever they want them to mean.

No. But it's what the right has been doing for years, for example their fifty plus years quest to make capitalism synonymous with freedom.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
Democracy IS capitalism. Don't you want to be free?

It's the least worst form of govt.
The greedy ape gets his fingers in everything and fucks it up for everyone.
Let's blame each other for the corruption, not the amoral systems we put in place in good faith.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(July 12, 2020 at 10:23 pm)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: One thing I've seen lately that my left friends (most of my friends are left like me) are doing is saying #defund the police. They go on to explain that they still want police they just want better police. I said the word they are looking for is called #reform!

I think the point is to defund the current police force. True, they want a better police force. But they still want to defund the current police force. Indeed, they want a better police force. But that's different to wanting the current police force to become better.

#defundthepolice
"Zen … does not confuse spirituality with thinking about God while one is peeling potatoes. Zen spirituality is just to peel the potatoes." - Alan Watts
Does this imply there is an"Outerstanding"? Like belly buttons?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do vampire/Cthulu/etc. cults count as religious cults? Elles 13 6013 January 12, 2010 at 5:57 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko