Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 1:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jewish Atheists
Jewish Atheists
Is Judaism a religion, an ethnicity, culture, maybe a mixture of the three? Can you truly be Jewish and an atheist?

RE: Jewish Atheists
Yes. I knew a guy who thought it was all bullshit but still thought of himself as a jew. He never tired of telling how he went to a family (kosher) barbeque where they grilled a steak until it had the consistency of shoe leather and when he tried to chew it he hurt his teeth. He slipped a piece to the dog but when he tried to give the dog a second piece the dog walked away.

Fucking Arab dog.
As Israel is a rather secular state, and as it was formed by Jews purposely coming together, I'd say Jewishness is an much, if not more, ethnicity and culture, rather than a religion
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
Especially since a lot of them hate each other.
As the years go by, I learn more about Judaism. I was unaware probably till well into adulthood of Reform, Conservative, Hasidic, Eskenazi, etc.

And finding out how much friction there is between certain combinations has been a real jolt, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised. The legal deference in Israel to the Orthodox community is really amazing.
Actually, its merely political.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2206 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Jewish Orthadox Teenager explains why he is now an Atheist. TheHunterCook 1 1376 January 23, 2012 at 3:03 am
Last Post: znk666