Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 5:58 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roguelikes
Roguelikes
Anyone here a fan of Roguelike RPGs? I've been hooked ever since I first played NetHack: Falcon's Eye. Right now I'm playing a little Roguelike on Ubuntu called Powder. It's fun, but so far I haven't had anything interesting happen to me like I did in NetHack.
RE: Roguelikes
ADOM

So fucking complex...
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
I've only ever played rogue and moria, and not in a very long time.
(June 18, 2014 at 9:25 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: I've only ever played rogue and moria, and not in a very long time.

Is it still possible to get the original rogue?

(June 18, 2014 at 9:19 pm)Moros Synackaon Wrote: ADOM

So fucking complex...

I think I downloaded that, or a remake of it, at one point. I didn't get very far.
About the original Rogue, nevermind, I found it!

http://www.dosgamesarchive.com/download/rogue/
هاورکرافت من پر مارماهى است
(June 18, 2014 at 9:30 pm)zanOTK Wrote:
(June 18, 2014 at 9:25 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: I've only ever played rogue and moria, and not in a very long time.

Is it still possible to get the original rogue?
On UNIX-like systems, absolutely. For everything else, you may be at the mercy of someone else to provide binaries.
(June 18, 2014 at 11:55 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:
(June 18, 2014 at 9:30 pm)zanOTK Wrote: Is it still possible to get the original rogue?
On UNIX-like systems, absolutely. For everything else, you may be at the mercy of someone else to provide binaries.

I found a DOS version. I've got DOSBox, so I can run that. I'm also running Linux, so if what I have now isn't the original I can always get what you're talking about.
Two "modern" commercial rogue-like games I've been playing a lot.

Dungeons of Dredmor
Fantasy RPG, not as complex as Nethack, doesn't take itself too seriously. Very fun.

Sword of the Stars: The Pit
Sci-fi RPG, lots to explore, collect or kill. Also very fun.

You may also want to try out the adventure mode of Dwarf Fortress. It's basically a very deep, complex rouge-like set in a huge procedurally generated world. May want to start out with a starter pack to get everything going easier.

I've heard good things about UnrealWorld, but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet.
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
(June 19, 2014 at 8:51 am)Jaysyn Wrote: Two "modern" commercial rogue-like games I've been playing a lot.

Dungeons of Dredmor
Fantasy RPG, not as complex as Nethack, doesn't take itself too seriously. Very fun.

Sword of the Stars: The Pit
Sci-fi RPG, lots to explore, collect or kill. Also very fun.

You may also want to try out the adventure mode of Dwarf Fortress. It's basically a very deep, complex rouge-like set in a huge procedurally generated world. May want to start out with a starter pack to get everything going easier.

I've heard good things about UnrealWorld, but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

Never heard of UnrealWorld. I have played Dwarf Fortress, though. Epic.
I played Rogue. I ended up getting to the 4th level of the dungeons. Ironically, I wasn't killed. I was actually doing pretty well (better than I do on the 4th level in NetHack, or Pixel Dungeons). But when I got to the 4th level, I found myself in a room with no doors, no stairs, nothing except for an arrow trap. Unable to go any further, or to go back to see if I missed something, I killed myself with the trap.