Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 2:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Staff Applications
Staff Applications
LukeMC has stepped down as a moderator, citing time constraints and that he thinks there are others who could do better. Usually when we elect someone to a moderator position, the staff discuss various members and come to an agreement (or a vote).

This time, we're going to try something different. Instead of plucking someone out of the crowd, we are inviting members to apply for the job instead. We are going to make this as open as possible, and there are no real requirements on who can apply (be you atheist or theist). In our view, an atheist forum does not necessitate an entirely atheist staff team, especially when we want to focus on discussions between members of different religious ideas.

However, there are some considerations that you should think about, and that may affect your bid:
  • Are you new? You may have run forums before, you may have a lot of experience over the rest of the candidates, but if only joined a couple of weeks ago, it is doubtful you will get the position. We want the staff to be veteran members that everyone knows and are an integral part of the community here. If you haven't been here for at least two months, I wouldn't suggest applying.

• Are you active? Even if you qualify in terms of time you have been here, it doesn't count for much if you are not an active part of the community. Measuring your "activeness" is a hard thing to do, but if you feel that you spend a good amount of time here every week, you will probably qualify. If you haven't been very active in the last few weeks or months for no good reason (i.e. holiday) then it is doubtful that you will succeed in winning us over.

• Do you post? The final thing to consider is your post count. This is perhaps the least important thing, as we won't be turning people away if their post count is low. A low post count may indicate that you read more than you post, or that your posts are more planned out, so we cannot judge you on this. However, a larger post count does help to show us some form of commitment to the forums, and also reflects your activity to a certain degree. I guess what I'm saying here is, if you have less than 100 posts...you probably shouldn't apply.

So now onto the application. This should be a couple of paragraphs (500 words maximum) and should include the following:
  • Who you are (age, location, etc).
  • Your experience (if any) in running forums, or being a moderator on some website.
  • What you think the aims of the staff team should be (i.e. how they should integrate with the community, what they should do, how they should handle situations)
  • What you would bring to the staff team.
  • Anything else you think is relevant and want to mention.

All applications should be sent as a PM to me (and nobody else). I shall collect applications for 5 days (so the deadline is 12th January 2010 at 23:59) before presenting them all to the staff team. This means that all applications will get the same attention, and submitting your application early gains you nothing. The staff will then make a decision and elect a new member of staff.

Good luck to all that apply!

-Adrian
RE: Staff Applications
I think I'll apply...

Tongue
Technically that's legit since we didn't sack you... Wink
That would be hilarious lol.

EvF
Yeah, in reality I only retired for the orange username. I've had my fun now, I'm coming back!

Only joking Rolleyes
I want a green username but none of the responsibility. Can I apply for a non-moderator position? You could even make my name lime-green so as not to be confused with the super-moderators. What happened to the regular moderators? How can you have super-mods without regular mods?

Rhizo
Super mods can moderate on all forums, while moderators just on one. So you'd have one for news and feedback, one for General, one for off-topic etc.

Having supermods that can moderate all forums is much handier in this case.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Ahh, I see, so it is a forum convention that I was unaware of; good to know. Can I haz green name now? Big Grin
No. Wink
Boo hoo hoo you big meany! First no thumbs down button even though it clearly won the vote Wink and NOW no lime green name? Hmm, methinks you are incapable of doing it so you pretend to enforce order when really you are defending your inability. Tongue Smile I demand special treatment!

Joking of course,
Rhizo

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Staff Log - Bannings, Reports, and Other Actions Darwinian 3256 747889 8 hours ago
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  New Staff Moderator The Valkyrie 20 1284 December 30, 2023 at 8:25 am
Last Post: no one
  Staff Changes BrianSoddingBoru4 32 6197 November 23, 2020 at 10:45 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  The "Report" button, and how not to treat your staff. Jackalope 71 27864 February 9, 2020 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: brewer
  New Guidelines for Staff Correspondence Shell B 3 1314 June 8, 2018 at 11:48 am
Last Post: brewer
  Get to know your staff [UPDATED] Losty 534 42819 February 16, 2018 at 5:48 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Staff Interviews - Tiberius Tiberius 103 13821 November 19, 2016 at 10:07 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Staff Interviews - Losty (Plus our NEW YouTube channel!) Tiberius 72 15930 November 5, 2016 at 11:49 pm
Last Post: Kernel Sohcahtoa
  Staff Interviews - Stimbo Tiberius 33 6322 October 13, 2016 at 8:57 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Staff Interviews - robvalue Tiberius 81 9997 October 6, 2016 at 2:45 am
Last Post: robvalue