Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 6:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are we the same or different?
Are we the same or different?
This thread originates from a conversation in this thread . Here's my question:

Are we all individual distinct "snowflakes" brought about by different choices in the causality chain, or are we all the same and choose to focus our will on the aspects that make us unique? Typically we all have unique fingerprints and DNA, but what about twins and triplets? Do they have the ability to be the same person or is there an individual consciousness outside their molecular make-up?
RE: Are we the same or different?
We as individuals are the sum total of our experiences.

Since every person has different experiences(even twins and triplets)

Yes Virginia, we are all "individual distinct "snowflakes""
(January 9, 2010 at 9:07 am)tackattack Wrote: Are we all individual distinct "snowflakes" brought about by different choices in the causality chain, or are we all the same and choose to focus our will on the aspects that make us unique?

Sounds very similar to a question I once asked. "Are we all walking the same path but to a different destination, or are we all walking different paths towards the same destination?" Meaning are we all in the same situation, striving alongside each other (same path) to slightly different goals (different destination) or are we all on the same journey towards fulfillment and happiness (same destination), but going about it from different directions (different path)?

As far as I can tell, it's merely two sides of the same coin. We are all distinct in that we are individuals, yet we are all the same in terms of our general biology and psychology (there are exceptions). I suppose you could say to somebody "I'm my own distinct person, I'm an individual. But we're the same underneath, you're just like I am, you can be this way too". Paradox perhaps, but such is life Tongue
The DNA of twins and triplets, although identical (for identical twins / triplets) at birth, isn't identical down the line, as mutations occur during growth.

I would say that even though they have the same DNA, what makes a person is based on the environment that they grow up in, and even though they may be brought up in the same environment, since they are separate entities, they will react in different ways to that environment. For instance, one of the twins might play with one type of toy all the time, because it manages to get that toy first. The other twin is then left with a different toy to play with. I'm not suggesting that toys have some big relation to how your personality develops, but I'm using it to illustrate that even in the "same" environment, you can be in a "different" environment. Kinda like a "sub-environment" I guess.
Personally, I would say that, just like everyone else, I'm unique...
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
Quote:you are not a beautiful and unique snowflake
you are the same decaying
organic matter as everything else
we are all a part of the same compost heap
we are the all-singing,
all-dancing crap of the world
you are not your bank account,
you are not the clothes you wear
you are not the contents of your wallet
you are not your bowel cancer
you are not your grande latte
you are not the car you drive
you are not your fucking khakis

you have to give up

you have to realise that someday you will die,
until you know that you are useless
i say let me never be complete
i say may i never be content
i say deliver me from swedish furniture
i say deliver me from clever art
i say deliver me from clear skin and perfect teeth
i say you have to give up
i say evolve, and let the chips
fall where they may

i want you to hit me as hard as you can
Even if we were able to make an exact clone of a person, and I mean exact down to level of the atoms and fundamental particles making up the cells, and even if we could copy all memory exactly from the original to the clone, one simple reason would garantee that the clone and the original have separate identities: the matter from which the identity and consciousness of the original arises is not the same matter from which the identity and consciousness of the clone arises: there are two heads and therefore two separate identities.
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
Faith is illogical - fr0d0
I say we are all different but with a lot more similarities than one might like to think... I mean: I think we may even share similarities with our greatest 'enemies' Wink

EvF
We are all different, no matter what people say. That is what make us individuals.
Freedom is the ability to march to the beat of a different drummer without fear of retribution. Secularone

Ignorance is bliss but understanding is wonderful. Atheist forums.org
So tempted to look up the Life of Brian scene on individuality now. Smile
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Neanderthal Speech - No Different from HSS? Minimalist 1 781 March 6, 2014 at 3:27 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  3 species of Beetle have evolved different walking technique to other beetles. downbeatplumb 0 1404 October 22, 2013 at 4:54 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb