Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Astrophysicists/Atheists
New Astrophysicists/Atheists
Hi All, Wink Shades

I am new to the Atheists/rational thinking perspective and new to this forum. I am so excited to be here, I am a recent de-convert from the Christian Religion to Atheism through my study of Astronomy. My de-convert story is rather long winded but I will share the short version.

While studying to be an Astrophysicists I ran across many aspects in science that I was learning about and discovering that the Bible could not support. While I never believed in the literal 24 hour 6 days creation story as set forth in Geniuses, I did believe in God as the creator. I am began to learn more about not only the larger things in the universe but the smaller such and the Quantum Realm and particle physics. As I studied these subjects I began to see the Bible was void on the aspects of scientific support and thus the supposed author (God) as one who could have formed and created all. As the creator of the Universe, I thought the Bible would have said more about the subject. For me this was a huge problems set forth by not only the Bible, but Christianity itself.

Thus, as I studied the about the cosmos and the universe as a whole, both at galactic and particle levels I one day looked up from my textbook and said to myself, "I do not believe in God, I cannot believe in God." Believing in God made obtaining my degree very difficult because I felt that I always had to rationalize what I was learning with the Bible. Till one day I came to the realization that I cannot find my answers in the Bible because the God who wrote it does not exists and the text itself is very much plagiarized from many of the ancient religions who possessed a polytheists view point. I thus found the Bible and religion as a whole to be insufficient in the ability to answer my questions pertaining to science and my passions for the Cosmos.

I am now so thankful to be free of the mental blinds and chains that religion held me in. I am now find that i think more clearly and deeper than I ever have and can now purely enjoy my academic pursuit of my Astrophysics degree. My goal is to one day be a theoretical Astrophysicists for NASA.

thanks you for this forum, I am looking forward to meeting many other free thinkers and engage in intellectual discussions.

So with that I say Hi! and yes, I have been touched by his noodle appendage. FSM Grin
Whatever unseen, no matter how improbable, must be the cause.
RE: New Astrophysicists/Atheists
@AstroNerd
Welcome.

-I am looking forward to meeting many other free thinkers and engage in intellectual discussions.
I have one potentially hard dilemma right now. What is better: mustard or ketchup?
(July 5, 2014 at 11:57 am)Baqal Wrote: @AstroNerd
Welcome.

-I am looking forward to meeting many other free thinkers and engage in intellectual discussions.
I have one potentially hard dilemma right now. What is better: mustard or ketchup?

Thanks, how about both. when combined can create a sweet but tangy sauce. perfect for baked beans, bbq sauces and of course hamburgers.
Welcome

There a couple threads open right now that could use an Astrophysicist.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(July 5, 2014 at 1:04 pm)Jenny A Wrote: Welcome

Thanks for the welcome Jenny. do you by chance know the title of the threads?
Greetings op.

May sauce be upon Him!
Welcome!
Welcome. Astrophysics questions come up rather frequently on this forum. Glad to have you aboard.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Welcome to the heathen, baby eating forum!
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(July 5, 2014 at 1:30 pm)AstroNerd Wrote:
(July 5, 2014 at 1:04 pm)Jenny A Wrote: Welcome

Thanks for the welcome Jenny. do you by chance know the title of the threads?

Just open up the physical science tab.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New member here to learn from atheists. libertysecularism 27 7680 August 27, 2013 at 6:30 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  New New New Quid 23 4816 December 11, 2012 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  I'm new to the site, and looking for a good conversation with my fellow Atheists. :) Cathee16 26 8711 August 2, 2011 at 9:12 am
Last Post: fr0d0