Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:13 am

Poll: Increase of Labor Unions within Latin America would decrease Illegal immigration?
This poll is closed.
Yes, the increase of Labor Unions would decrease illegal immigration from Latin America
25.00%
2 25.00%
No, there is no correlation between the two variables.
75.00%
6 75.00%
Total 8 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Solving Illegal Immigration: Labor Unions in Latin America!
Solving Illegal Immigration: Labor Unions in Latin America!
To reduce illegal immigration, from Latin America specifically, it would take the increase of Labor Unions in all Latin American nations.

Why? The reason is that business firms had the opportunity to show that free market capitalism, under their control, would decrease the poverty and flow of illegal immigration into the United States from Mexico.

Exhibit A: The failure of NAFTA!

The North American Free Trade Agreements (and other agreements under similar names which involved other nations in the Western hemisphere) failed to produce positive results.

Therefore, it is time for the increase of Labor Unions within these nations rather than unrestrictive free enterprise minded paradigms.

The function of positive corporate governance(or business firms' governance) proves the existence of Labor Unions help in reducing poverty and human misery.

Formula:

Increase of Labor Unions (in Latin America and other Western Hemisphere nations) = Decrease of illegal immigration from Latin America and other Western hemisphere nations = Increase of the standard of living for Latin Americans = Increase of Civil participation and "civil" political consciousness among Latin American nations.
RE: Solving Illegal Immigration: Labor Unions in Latin America!
One of the large problems is that the prohibition if drugs like marijuana in the us provides money for drug cartels in Mexico. This creates violence and instability. While there is instability and violence it is very hard to build any sort of domestic economy.
(July 8, 2014 at 8:41 pm)Natachan Wrote: One of the large problems is that the prohibition if drugs like marijuana in the us provides money for drug cartels in Mexico. This creates violence and instability. While there is instability and violence it is very hard to build any sort of domestic economy.

Yes, this is a problem. However, I do not think there is a correlation between the increase of the drug trade with Illegal immigration.

1. Drug cartels simply have customers in the U.S.,
2. Drug cartels increase members within Latin America because citizens of these nations do not have employment or jobs which pay a reasonable good wage and better working conditions(along with respect).
3. Hence, the importance of the increase of labor Unions within Latin American nations or all of the western hemisphere nations.
De-criminalize drugs and the cartels lose their market. Problem #1 solved.

I agree with you about unions but they are under fervent attack here by corporate scumbags and their wholly owned subsidiaries in Congress and the courts. We can't help anyone else until we restore order in our own house.
I think Marine Le Penn in France has a better solution in mind, executing everybody who is not french... See? problem solved ROFLOL
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(July 8, 2014 at 9:31 pm)Minimalist Wrote: De-criminalize drugs and the cartels lose their market. Problem #1 solved.

That depends entirely upon HOW you decriminalize. It'll be interesting to see how it shakes out here in Washington - right now, the way the legal stuff is priced, the black market is still quite lucrative.
(July 8, 2014 at 9:31 pm)Minimalist Wrote: De-criminalize drugs and the cartels lose their market. Problem #1 solved.

I agree with you about unions but they are under fervent attack here by corporate scumbags and their wholly owned subsidiaries in Congress and the courts. We can't help anyone else until we restore order in our own house.

I know, however, just because it is "under attack" does not necessarily mean it is not the solution to the problem.

The Labor Unions, in the 1940's and 1950's, were popular and endorsed by the corporations. It guaranteed some form of unity and it created a mechanism of corporate governance. It also raised wages and raised the standard of living.

My own research suggested that three events made the Labor Union entity unpopular: 1. The association with communist entities (which is untrue but it was a perception which was allowed to spread). 2. Some of the Labor Unions became corrupt (this is a natural occurrence which means that a third factor is needed - Rule of Law/ hence congressional legislation was utilized in the 1970's) 3. Reagonomics in the 1980's (Art Laffer curve philosophy) was enforced through the executive branch under Pres. Reagan.

The decriminalization of one of their products(marijiuana) would make the Drug Cartel switch to cocaine and other drugs.(Just switch to the other substitute). We may have to adopt the drug policy of the Netherlands or Holland but we have to observe further studies to see if it was successful in that nation.

I do see that de-criminalization of one or to include other "hard drug" products would force the Drug Cartel out of the market(even eliminate completely the underground economy). It may be that "de-criminalization" would be part of the solution but may lead to the slippery slope of de-criminalizing other "hard drugs". This could work but it may take another tool( or option) in including the promotion and support of Labor Unions.
Quote:2. Some of the Labor Unions became corrupt (this is a natural occurrence which means that a third factor is needed - Rule of Law/ hence congressional legislation was utilized in the 1970's)

There are plenty of corrupt corporations. In fact, I think they all are.

BTW, I did not limit my call to decriminalize to marijuana.
You're relying on the fact that collective bargaining will raise compensation and benefits to the point where the incentive to migrate north will be lost. What you may not be considering is that labor cost parity would remove the incentive for FDI, resulting in a loss of jobs. American companies that invest in infrastructure in order to take advantage of cheap labor will never allow this to happen. This is an example of how NAFTA has failed. (On a side note, NAFTA has been great for the U.S., it's Mexico that's taken it in the ass.)

The anti-immigration crowd, the ones that trot out legality and American sovereignty arguments, are short sighted xenophobes. They can't wrap their pea sized brains around the economic consequence of stopping immigration and sending everyone back to their country of origin. Despite the rhetoric, these people have no problem happily and willfully consuming the low cost products and services provided by the cheap labor.

I have more to say on this topic, but will leave it here for now.
Actually, that is just an excuse to keep people living in poverty. If the middle class was to grow across all of south america, then demand would grow and so would business. If they have demand they will make the product. If corporations look for the newest poverty stricken world, then home grown company's will start businesses and create jobs.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why is it illegal to have multiple spouses? FrustratedFool 65 3481 September 23, 2023 at 3:37 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Anti-immigration..does Right wing still fools masses? WinterHold 106 4502 July 16, 2023 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  At what point is America no longer a safe place for me to live? TaraJo 41 3713 July 16, 2022 at 8:38 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
  6 of 7 great seven is use Latin ABC Interaktive 26 1977 April 28, 2022 at 3:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  America. Worse than North Korea. deepend 195 6773 March 26, 2022 at 2:05 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
  What do you think about the immigration crisis? FlatAssembler 37 4097 February 21, 2022 at 7:48 pm
Last Post: highdimensionman
  Can America ever truly pay for its sins? T.J. 111 6891 January 10, 2022 at 4:17 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Ayn Rand blamed for current state of America Foxaèr 61 2868 June 24, 2021 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: no one
  The Republican America Foxaèr 19 1077 November 23, 2020 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Make America Nice Again Secular Elf 53 3480 November 9, 2020 at 6:20 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4