Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
My First Argument and Logical Fallacy
Wink 
My First Argument and Logical Fallacy
I recently joined this forum and was slightly alarmed and also delighted by the way I was treated in my first post. I was delighted in the sense that the members seem fairly intelligent and civilized by online standards.

I was alarmed by the fact that I was assaulted with several accusations that were simply not true. I was said to have taken a position I did not take and falsely accused of committing several logical fallacies including false dichotomy, non-sequitur and association fallacy.

I applaud my vanquished opponent for at least trying. I believe as Atheists, non-theists, agnostics, etc. and good citizens, we have an obligation to spot logical fallacies wherever they occur. Especially, when honing our skills in debate.

I have found this website especially useful in explaining the basic types of logical fallacy for those who are interested.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/

This is a complete list:

http://www.fallacyfiles.org/taxonomy.html

Nice to meet you all and happy truth hunting!
RE: My First Argument and Logical Fallacy
Vanquished opponents??
Welcome
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Wow, it seems OP is extremely insecure and needs to make a long,, dribbling, idiotic intro thread so he can re-assure himself that he won in an Internet argument ClapClapClapBig Grin

Move on, child. atheist chest-beating is the hallmark of a pathetic existence.
[Image: 01.gif]
(July 15, 2014 at 5:52 pm)beentheredonethat Wrote: Wow, it seems OP is extremely insecure and needs to make a long,, dribbling, idiotic intro thread so he can re-assure himself that he won in an Internet argument ClapClapClapBig Grin

Move on, child. atheist chest-beating is the hallmark of a pathetic existence.

To the respectable Christians here, what would this ex-guy gain from slamming atheists? What are his ulterior motives? It's not like we're an opposing religion.
We're not his competition, we're sitting on the sidelines just watching.

How many atheists here bother signing on to other religious forums to put their point of view across ... Pickup tried it ...we know how it ends ...why bother.
It's not going to change "facts" anytime soon.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
According to your website:
Anecdotal fallacie:Using personal experience or an isolated example instead of a valid argument, especially to dismiss statistics.
(July 12, 2014 at 12:16 pm)JesusHMuhammad Wrote: I was alarmed by the fact that I was assaulted with several accusations that were simply not true.

The fallacy fallacy: You presumed that because a claim has been poorly argued, or a fallacy has been made, that the claim itself must be wrong.
(July 12, 2014 at 12:16 pm)JesusHMuhammad Wrote: I applaud my vanquished opponent for at least trying.

Could you give me the name of your vanquished opponent. I would like to hear his version of the story.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hello all of my new logical thinking friends! lezbehonest 52 5977 August 11, 2014 at 11:09 am
Last Post: LivingNumbers6.626
  First things first Bad Writer 61 10883 June 30, 2013 at 7:03 pm
Last Post: Aractus