Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 7:36 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
is the bible a universally binding contract?
is the bible a universally binding contract?
It could be any so called "sacred texts", not just the bible.
Mother Teresa is not a good person. She only does what she does so she can be guaranteed front row seats in heaven. Everyone has ulterior motives.

How many people would subscribe to the bible if there was nothing in it for them.
If the bible said be good to your neighbour for the sake of being good, not because you will benefit in an afterlife. The irony is that most Christians, like all humans, are born with a moral compass and are good people anyway. But they've been indoctrinated for so long that they believe everybody needs to be good for a reason.

Maybe they are xenophobic towards atheists because we are normal good people without having made a binding contract with god. They must think we're fools for not acting evil! They don't see the sense in it because we're not going to heaven anyway because we haven't made a contract.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
RE: is the bible a universally binding contract?
(July 14, 2014 at 8:57 pm)ignoramus Wrote: It could be any so called "sacred texts", not just the bible.
Mother Teresa is not a good person. She only does what she does so she can be guaranteed front row seats in heaven. Everyone has ulterior motives.

How many people would subscribe to the bible if there was nothing in it for them.
If the bible said be good to your neighbour for the sake of being good, not because you will benefit in an afterlife. The irony is that most Christians, like all humans, are born with a moral compass and are good people anyway. But they've been indoctrinated for so long that they believe everybody needs to be good for a reason.

Maybe they are xenophobic towards atheists because we are normal good people without having made a binding contract with god. They must think we're fools for not acting evil! They don't see the sense in it because we're not going to heaven anyway because we haven't made a contract.

What is your definition of a "good" person. Is it a person who always does good or a person who does good most of the time? What is the dividing line between a good and a bad person? Is a good person one who does fifty or more good things a year and a bad person one who does less than fifty good things a year? Maybe it's more a question of how good or how bad the things they do are. Who judges how good or how bad someone is?
(July 14, 2014 at 8:57 pm)ignoramus Wrote: But they've been indoctrinated for so long that they believe everybody needs to be good for a reason.
I'm good for goodness' sake.

(July 14, 2014 at 9:07 pm)Lek Wrote: Who judges how good or how bad someone is?
Others, apparently.
(July 14, 2014 at 9:11 pm)ShaMan Wrote:
(July 14, 2014 at 9:07 pm)Lek Wrote: Who judges how good or how bad someone is?
Others, apparently.

Everybody has a different opinion. I guess the ones who thought you are good have told you so.
(July 14, 2014 at 9:54 pm)Lek Wrote:
(July 14, 2014 at 9:11 pm)ShaMan Wrote: Others, apparently.

Everybody has a different opinion. I guess the ones who thought you are good have told you so.

Lek, from a strictly phycological perspective ( no judging here), do you believe that there are good people and "christian" good people.

Does the inverse apply to the "bad" which Muslims commit via their personal understanding of their beliefs.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Quote:What is your definition of a "good" person.

Someone who is not a dick.
I'm a little askew from the description of (most religious) people having 'binding contracts with God'. I just try to square that with the rampant cafeteriaism and cherry picking of Scriptures most folks consent to follow and I get a little dizzy.

A 'binding contract' with God would preclude only following the path of least Biblical resistance through life. Not the wholesale disregard of the 'meat and taters' of Christianity. Like not remarrying following divorce, failing to drink poison and handle serpents, not hating your parents with a Godly hate, and looking forward to "All the shrimp you care to eat" night at Red Lobster.

Especially for those of that particularly odious religious stripe that fail to see their buffet approach to Scripture, but want to throw the entire book of Leviticus, for instance, at us queers.

Sorry to take a hard 90 there on the topic. But in the title a question is posed, and I'm thinking the Cafeteria Christians have punted the whole idea there.
I will repeat what I've always said and will continue to say - If the only thing that keeps you away from committing crimes and incentives you to help or be good to others is your god/religion, then you are not worthy of being called a good human being. Period.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

The thread title got my interest. Too bad the OP has nothing to do with the title.
There is no one good, no not one, for all have fallen short of the Glory of God.

It is by grace you have been saved, not of works that no man may boast.

We are not saved by works, we are saved unto good works.

If it could be proven beyond doubt that God exists...
and that He is the one spoken of in the Bible...
would you repent of your sins and place your faith in Jesus Christ?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Satanic Bible vs Christian Bible ƵenKlassen 31 7562 November 27, 2017 at 10:38 am
Last Post: drfuzzy
  The Contract Red_Baron 44 7165 April 26, 2011 at 11:53 pm
Last Post: Cinjin