Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Woe is Me...Who is Me?
Woe is Me...Who is Me?
Simple points to consider:

- I am anti-religion.
- I am a liberal democrat.
- I am married.
- I am an atheist, secular humanist.
- I am a science enthusiast.
- I am an informal computer scientist.
- I am a mental health advocate.
- I love all people.
- I am a poet and a writer.
- I am a musician.
- I am a puzzle solver.
- I am a outdoor enthusiast.
- I am an optimist
- I am a dreamer.
- But I'm not the only one.

Beyond the necessary:
Ex/Post Mormon. Raised in the faith. Left January 2014 at the age of 20.
"Just call me Bruce Wayne. I'd rather be Batman."
RE: Woe is Me...Who is Me?
Good for you, man!

Welcome

ETA: That was not intended to sound douchy. I read it back. It does, in fact, sound douchy. I can't take it back...
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(July 16, 2014 at 1:54 am)SteelCurtain Wrote: Good for you, man!

Welcome

Thank you!
Welcome young Jedi.
What made you change?

Don't say logic and common sense ....that's just insulting to the other team.
Big Grin
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Welcome!
Welcome Quantum1Connect.

If you're a mental health advocate, as you say, then the following discussion might be of interest to you: Psychiatry Exposed

Enjoy the forums. Big Grin
(July 16, 2014 at 2:01 am)ignoramus Wrote: Welcome young Jedi.
What made you change?

Big Grin

Screw the other team.

Welcome.

Quote:- I am an informal computer scientist.

Does that mean you work on informal computers?
What made you change?

Big Grin

Hi! Well, then I must say copious amounts of cognitive dissonance as a child and then extreme disbelief and disgust as a young adult.

The point at which the 180 turn was propelled was by a friend who was sharing with me a couple Richard Dawkins clips and introduced me to mormonthink.org.

Then after strong study and agonizing acceptance, I determined that the idea of god, Mormonism, or any other dogma was not intellectually pleasing to me. I couldn't make sense of it all.

I just don't understand the belief in god or devotion to a religion.

I am also a bit of cry baby, I didnt appreciate church leadership and I saw the church as a censoring, controlling establishment that is overall detramental to society.

There is so much more...But that is it in a nutshell.

(July 16, 2014 at 2:02 am)rexbeccarox Wrote: Welcome!

Thank you!
Welcome to the forums .

Whats the one between "Quantum" and "connect" doing ?
[Image: eUdzMRc.gif]
(July 16, 2014 at 2:03 am)Rayaan Wrote: Welcome Quantum1Connect.

If you're a mental health advocate, as you say, then the following discussion might be of interest to you: Psychiatry Exposed

Enjoy the forums. Big Grin

There is actually a whole lot I agree with in your original post and I skimmed through a lot of responses and agreed a lot with those who had the same idea or eye opening.

I still need to review your links, but you expose many great points. Though I say I am a mental health advocate, I don't really advocate psychiatry. I prefer therapy and psychology. The three part argument of recovery: bio, psycho, and social.

I must admit that I am unfarely close to the topic, meaning emotional. After two suicide attempts, three hospitalizations, several medicines, and now the group I am in (dialectical behavior therapy), my judgement on the issue can be pretty skewed.

But until I respond with further description on your thread regarding my beliefs I will leave you with this:

1) I hate the bio part of the recovery process. I've taken several medicines and none of them work as I intend them to and I have rejected the use of several more. But when I am in a really shitty place I will take anything to take it away, death is not a scary issue for me when I am in that place.

2) I doubt the effictivess of Zoloft. I still take it only because I think it is a pretty damned good placebo for me, but I have no personal positive data. I appreciate seraquil. I have really bad mood swings, always have, and this one takes the edge off. It is mainly just a drowsy inducing medication, but is healthier in comparison to my drinking problem and smoking habbit. Then there is ativan. Extremely effective but addictive and tolerance building, I got off of that. Then visteril, I doubt that Shit works, but I take it because I paid the 15 dollar copay, I won't get a refill, I have had to take double doses to induce an affect, but may just be a placebo. Then there is trazadone, an old school medicine, that I take primarily as a sleeping aid. Do I like taking all this? No. Will I stay on it? Probably not. They ussually stop working and then need something new but often times I will just taper off of them and go a while without it. So yeah, I am pretty skeptical about psychiatry, but none the less curious and partially willing. Otherwise, I am pretty damn skeptical.

3) I am a huge advocate of therapy, interpersonal wellness, and a healthy life style. This does best for me and most people. The primary pill poppers very rarely see full recovery. Only those open to real work will see real change. At least in my experience. I have major depression, generalized anxiety disorder, and borderline personality disorder. I'm iffy about the last diagnosis, but I can't explain my mood swings myself and I can't cope on my own. But group is very effective. I will probably stop using meds in a couple years, but it is my intention that I always stay involved in a group. I am in DBT right now and love it. They should just call it life coping skills and make everyone take it in high school. Haha

(July 16, 2014 at 2:35 am)Minimalist Wrote:
What made you change?

Big Grin

Screw the other team.

Welcome.

Quote:- I am an informal computer scientist.

Does that mean you work on informal computers?

Thank you! But haha, no. I am just too relunctant to call myself a scientist straight out. I don't want to appear arrogant and admit my uncertainty in my ability to write computation. Haha

(July 16, 2014 at 3:03 am)Marsellus Wallace Wrote: Welcome to the forums .

Whats the one between "Quantum" and "connect" doing ?

Thanks! Haha. Well Twitter wouldn't let me choose QuantumConnect or any variation including a last number, so I put it in the middle. So I did it here too just for consistency. Haha