Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 3:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What better explains choosing religion of parents.
What better explains choosing religion of parents.
What has a better explanation to the fact 90% of humans choose the belief of their parents out of all the world views out there?
RE: What better explains choosing religion of parents.
Better than which explanation?
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(July 26, 2014 at 5:37 pm)Jenny A Wrote: Better than which explanation?

I'm asking what is the best explanation out there with regards to world views to why we chose the religion of our parents 90% of the time.
Quote: If we had opened our eyes to the light under the shadows of St. Peter's at Rome, we should have been devout Catholics; born in the Jewish quarter of Aleppo, we should have contemned Christ as an imposter; in Constantinople, we should have cried "Allah il Allah, God is great and Mahomet is his prophet!" Birth, place, and education give us our faith. Few believe in any religion because they have examined the evidences of its authenticity, and made up a formal judgment, upon weighing the testimony. Not one man in ten thousand knows anything about the proofs of his faith. We believe what we are taught; and those are most fanatical who know least of the evidences on which their creed is based.

--Brig. Gen Albert Pike, C.S.A.
(July 26, 2014 at 5:59 pm)MysticKnight Wrote:

I'm asking what is the best explanation out there with regards to world views to why we chose the religion of our parents 90% of the time.

That is the most probably the religion you have the most exposure to, and since you have been brought up being told x religion is true, that is the one you would most likely accept.

Someone brought up in a christian country, for example, without access to information on other religions (as was the case for most of history), is not going to turn round one day and start shouting "praise ganesh!" are they?
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R Tolkien
(July 26, 2014 at 5:59 pm)MysticKnight Wrote:

Because our parents tell us it's right. That's it. Really it's very simple.

It's also why it's so obviously not a GOOD reason. If there were a good reason, it would be cross cultural.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
Quote:I'm asking what is the best explanation out there with regards to world views to why we chose the religion of our parents 90% of the time.

Inertia.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Because children see parents as role models, so that explains why they would pick their parents' religion. I picked my parents morals and ethics, it's quite normal.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

I think the simplest is that we are biologically designed through evolution to follow our parents or those raising us. I think us being designed to be prone to follow false religions when their is a huge consequence to that is the worse explanation because it rewards people who follow religion that happens to be the right one for the same reason it punishes people who happen to follow religions that are false, as well, as having a consequence for something most of humanity is practically destined to do by design, seems quite evil of the designer.
Perhaps, tribal groups during the times when humans were rapidly evolving, did better when they sired offspring that comported to an optimal extent with the status quo.

Groups that were too 'genetically' predisposed to rigidity in ways of thought in an environment with random changes didn't fare as well groups that weren't. And groups that had a surplus of free thinkers might have been too fractious to have competed successfully.

Presumably the current genome fluctuates around the 'optimal' value appropriate for the late stone age these days.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If people were 100% rational, would the world be better? vulcanlogician 188 21991 August 30, 2021 at 4:37 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Argument from "better to seek proper vision". Mystic 53 5833 October 25, 2017 at 1:13 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Is world better without Saddam? TrueChristian 90 11610 December 31, 2015 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Need help choosing Greek/Roman authors Mudhammam 70 10542 April 26, 2015 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Religion had good intentions, but nature has better LivingNumbers6.626 39 8989 December 3, 2014 at 1:12 pm
Last Post: John V
  Trying to Understand Many-Worlds Interpretation Better GrandizerII 45 6838 November 29, 2014 at 5:05 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Happy people are better and superior Mozart Link 30 3772 August 11, 2014 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Can you help me debate better? Doggey75 20 3733 April 2, 2014 at 8:37 pm
Last Post: psychoslice
  Negative thinking is better then positive thinking Gooders1002 6 1929 May 7, 2013 at 5:26 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko