Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 5:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism in the USA
Atheism in the USA
I've never heard of these people, though, so I don't know how much they can be trusted.

http://newsjunkiepost.com/2009/09/19/res...-minority/

Most hated and distrusted:

Atheist: 39.6%

Muslims: 26.3%

Homosexuals: 22.6%

Hispanics: 20%

Conservative Christians: 13.5%

Recent Immigrants: 12.5%

Jews: 7.6%

I would disapprove if my child wanted to marry a member of this group….

Atheist: 47.6%

Muslim: 33.5%

African-American 27.2%

Asian-Americans: 18.5%

Hispanics: 18.5%

Jews: 11.8%

Conservative Christians: 6.9%

Whites: 2.3%

That's amazing.Confusedhock:
RE: Atheism in the USA
That seems to line up with other reports I've read. And it's not too surprising.
Presuming it's trustworthy, all it reveals is that prejudice, intolerance and racism are still high on the agenda for a large % of muricans.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
I was really surprised that gays scored only third, tbh. I suppose you have to balance the evangelicals against the more liberal views.
That was 5 years ago and, is not quite accurate with today's statistics.
(August 4, 2014 at 12:20 pm)Diablo Wrote: I was really surprised that gays scored only third, tbh. I suppose you have to balance the evangelicals against the more liberal views.

Things have changed dramatically for gays in the USA. It's hard to reconcile the tolerance of today with the omni-present condemnation of gays thirty years ago. Signs point to attitudes towards atheists changing similarly over the next few decades.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
Quote:So why the fear, why the hatred?

The answer is jesus. Or, more properly, jesus is a big business over here and the con men who run that business keep whipping up their sheep over the fact that rational people think their bullshit is just bullshit.

Scares the piss out of the jesus freaks that someone can look at their godboy and see right through the scam.
(August 4, 2014 at 12:37 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote:
(August 4, 2014 at 12:20 pm)Diablo Wrote: I was really surprised that gays scored only third, tbh. I suppose you have to balance the evangelicals against the more liberal views.

Things have changed dramatically for gays in the USA. It's hard to reconcile the tolerance of today with the omni-present condemnation of gays thirty years ago. Signs point to attitudes towards atheists changing similarly over the next few decades.

That's good news on both counts.
Let's start being optimistic and look at the bright side, younger people don't share this views and dislike republicans and religious conservatives, so this is going to change, it's inevitable. Luckily I'll be alive to see the day atheism becomes the norm

Late edit - I'm not an american so I won't see the rise of atheism in the US, but in europe it is already happening, let's just take a look at northern countries and Czech Republic
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(August 4, 2014 at 10:44 am)Diablo Wrote: I've never heard of these people, though, so I don't know how much they can be trusted.

http://newsjunkiepost.com/2009/09/19/res...-minority/

The original source of that comes from a study at the University of Minnesota.

http://atheism.about.com/od/atheistbigot...sHated.htm

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=1786422

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27141 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12489 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12156 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10504 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  Is Atheism very mainstream in USA nowadays compared to, "for example" Europe Cyberdreams(Wink) 14 4185 September 4, 2013 at 1:45 am
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  A different definition of atheism. Atheism isn't simply lack of belief in god/s fr0d0 14 12013 August 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  "Old" atheism, "New"atheism, atheism 3.0, WTF? leo-rcc 69 38101 February 2, 2010 at 3:29 am
Last Post: tackattack
  USA and it's fascination with religion Shinylight 15 7524 September 23, 2009 at 6:30 am
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused