Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 1:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recovering old PMs on another discussion board
Recovering old PMs on another discussion board
So I was thinking the other day about a discussion board I used to be a member of and would PM quite a few members there, but they were very stingy about how many PMs you could save in your inbox so a lot of great messages (and messages that I would dearly like to have for reference now) ended up having to be deleted. Because, you know, I didn't know three years ago that I would want to save them for the future...

I've checked waybackmachine but because my PMs are protected behind my login I can't access them and I don't know if they would archive PMs from discussion boards anyway.

I have a feeling this is a lost cause, but if anyone has any ideas about where I could look for information about how to do this that would be great!
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
RE: Recovering old PMs on another discussion board
I suppose it's a long shot, but you could ask the site admin. I am assuming that they're using forum software that stores messages in a database, and deleted messages probably get purged regularly in order to keep the DB at a manageable size. But if they still have backups they might be able to help you, though the amount of work involved might not be worth it to them.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(August 5, 2014 at 1:09 pm)Tonus Wrote: I suppose it's a long shot, but you could ask the site admin. I am assuming that they're using forum software that stores messages in a database, and deleted messages probably get purged regularly in order to keep the DB at a manageable size. But if they still have backups they might be able to help you, though the amount of work involved might not be worth it to them.

I think this whole endeavor is a long shot. Undecided

Stupid discussion forum that only lets you keep 30 PMs at a time... Dodgy
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
Yeah, the only way I can see is asking the site admins.
(August 5, 2014 at 1:33 pm)Clueless Morgan Wrote: Stupid discussion forum that only lets you keep 30 PMs at a time... Dodgy

I belong to another forum that, when I joined, allowed ordinary members to store a whopping 5 private messages.

As to your problem, only the site admins would be able to assist you. Whether they would or not, that's an entirely different question.
(August 5, 2014 at 2:16 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: I belong to another forum that, when I joined, allowed ordinary members to store a whopping 5 private messages.

Speaking of, does AF have a PM limit? Should I start archiving my messages? Thinking
(August 5, 2014 at 4:16 pm)Clueless Morgan Wrote: Speaking of, does AF have a PM limit? Should I start archiving my messages? Thinking

Yes. Unless you never want them to be read over your shoulder, or otherwise don't want to risk putting them somewhere someone might read them (who isn't government, or the like).
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheist Discussion down Thumpalumpacus 16 1207 June 15, 2022 at 7:56 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  [split] PSA: Hate Speech (discussion of video etc) Huggy Bear 223 7779 May 3, 2019 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Panel Discussion on Personally Influential Books Neo-Scholastic 20 2386 November 20, 2018 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Civil Commentary on the R'lyeh commentary on Civil Discussion Threads Whateverist 5 1237 November 18, 2018 at 12:43 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Linda Brown of Brown v. Board of Education died (76) Cecelia 2 567 March 27, 2018 at 6:46 am
Last Post: Brian37
  [split] AF Hall of Shame, various discussion including Denmark & bible contradiction Edwardo Piet 181 13782 March 1, 2018 at 5:49 pm
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  Middlesex discussion thread Whateverist 0 479 October 23, 2017 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  BABY ON BOARD signs Bahana 97 10959 October 13, 2017 at 7:29 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Discussion topics you will never see here vorlon13 90 9998 September 20, 2017 at 7:38 am
  Dry Erase Board Fail vorlon13 13 1617 March 29, 2017 at 4:19 pm