Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 2:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Panel Discussion on Personally Influential Books
Panel Discussion on Personally Influential Books
What books have profoundly altered how you personally perceive the world around you?

This is a call for participants in a moderated panel discussion in the DEBATE AREA of the influential books that have positively contributed to our love and understanding of life. Please send me a PM if you would like to be a part of the conversation.
<insert profound quote here>
RE: Panel Discussion on Personally Influential Books
Terry Goodkind's The Sword of Truth series.
Quran - Saheefa Sajjadiya - Nahjul Balagha - Alkafi - Misbahal Shariah - Tuhafaqal uqool are the six main books for me.

I am going to pm you but also wanted to say some other things in pm to you so will do it tonight.
I'd like to see people avoid scripture. My selection would be Towards a Psychology of Being by Abraham Maslow.
I just hope you're not limiting it to self help books, because I don't read those.
I don't think any non-scriptural books influence me any longer psychologically or to my guidance, and I thank God for that. Though I've read a lot of non-fiction books and fiction books, I can't let humans influence me as opposed to God's psychological cure and his appointed healers who are trusted to cure us if we give them an ear.

I read a lot of new age books when I was a Deist, and perhaps although I was allergic to the term, I was more of a new ager during my Deist days. But I hope from God they don't influence me at all.

So I'll opt out.
This is a good idea.

I don't really have time to contribute at the moment but, like a certain general, I shall return...
Dying to live, living to die.
(November 19, 2018 at 12:44 pm)Kit Wrote: I just hope you're not limiting it to self help books, because I don't read those.

Not at all. Recently, I read Debt: the First 5000 years and it also had a profound effect on my as well. Or going way back, Thus Spoke Zarathustra. Others would be of niche topics about oil painting or business and not of interest to others.
1. God The Failed Hypothesis, Victor Stinger.

2. The New Atheism, Victor Stinger

3. God Is Not Great, Christopher Hitchens.

4. The God Delusion, Richard Dawkins.

5. The End Of Faith, Sam Harris

6. Infidel, Ayaan Hirsi Ali

But the first skeptic book I read after getting online in 01 to seek out other atheists was a book of skeptic quotes "2,000 Years Of Disbelief" by James Haught.
The Avacado Baby and The Player of Games  and..and..and.....that'll do for now.

[Image: 8149532.jpg][Image: 2012-01-27_image1.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheist Discussion down Thumpalumpacus 16 1206 June 15, 2022 at 7:56 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  How to not take critical feedback personally? copiedusername 9 1026 December 20, 2019 at 5:22 pm
Last Post: mordant
  [split] PSA: Hate Speech (discussion of video etc) Huggy Bear 223 7695 May 3, 2019 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Civil Commentary on the R'lyeh commentary on Civil Discussion Threads Whateverist 5 1231 November 18, 2018 at 12:43 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  English Language Books in Germany Rhondazvous 2 446 September 9, 2018 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Minimilist and others...can you recommend books? Mystic 5 633 April 17, 2018 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  [split] AF Hall of Shame, various discussion including Denmark & bible contradiction Edwardo Piet 181 13777 March 1, 2018 at 5:49 pm
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  Middlesex discussion thread Whateverist 0 479 October 23, 2017 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Discussion topics you will never see here vorlon13 90 9996 September 20, 2017 at 7:38 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Motivational books? Tea Earl Grey Hot 73 7407 March 24, 2017 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet