Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 7:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hmmm....
Hmmm....
Honestly, I don't really know why I'm here. More accurately, I don't know why I felt compelled to create a profile. I mean, I've held my own in a debate or ten but I only have a general knowledge of scripture and the various religions of the world, tending to rely more on personal experiences. That's something that doesn't really work with text on a page though given that I can't really do anything to prove these experiences happened so it's not something I can, or would, rely on here in the debate sections. That leaves me as a sort of middling presence in an environment like this so, if anything, it'll be interesting to see what I can accomplish here. Hope I can at least have some fun and bring a few of you along with me.

Bio:

Name's Nicky, I'm a Firefighter/EMT (Mostly EMT lately), and I'm a never closeted gold star lesbian with a wife and an adopted daughter.

I grew up with parents and a sister who were perfectly wonderful people until they realized I was gay (before I even knew what gay was) and figured treating me like a subhuman was the best way to go about correcting the issue. Come my 16th birthday and the realization that I was taller and probably outweighed my father I decided to fight back the next time my sister goaded him into attacking me and beat the ever living shit out of him. That was the last time I ever saw the man, left home right after with a sack of clothes and never looked back.

Being out from under the thumb of that group of lunatics I went on a bit of a binge of sexual release for the next chunk of my life, a lot of it I'm not proud of, some of it pretty damn awesome ^_^. Eventually things smoothed out and I realized that in spite of my wretched childhood I had ended up as a pretty stable and caring person and found myself settling into a nursing career. It was nice but lacking a bit of thrill that I craved so, after talking with a couple of the local firefighters I decided to shift fields and I'm damn glad that I did.

My first true fire was about as nasty as it can get, couple of seconds difference here or there and I'd have died. Managed to get one guy out through a risk I probably shouldn't have taken and got him to the ER. The most adorable little surgical nurse I'd ever seen was the first one to notice that one of my gloves had pretty well melted and fused to my hand. As they worked I must have made a pretty damn good attempt at flirting through my now realized pain delirium because I managed to get her to agree to go out with me right then and there after learning it was her birthday. She had the tuna, I had the jello. Ten years later I married that adorable little shit (I'm about 6', she's 4'11). I still receive Xmas cards from that guy I brought in and he has a remarkably positive outlook on life despite the disfigurement. "I just knew that was going to be a lucky day!" A bought house in a different state, a marriage mostly for tax benefits and smoothing out the adoption process, and said adoption of the sweetest little thing I've ever seen and here I am looking to fill some of the empty time of my day and hopefully learn a thing or two.

That about sums me up. Hopefully an old wiseass lesbian will fit in well here.
~
The only difference between belief in God and belief in Santa Claus is that eventually people stop telling you Santa Claus is real.
~
RE: Hmmm....
Now there is a story!

Welcome.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
Good to have another heathen on board!

Guys, we got a special one here!
This one's immune to hell!

Everyone bow!
Worship (large)DevilWorship (large)DevilWorship (large)

I think you may have found your new home!
Jim.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
I have so many <3 s for you!

Welcome to AF. Please stick around!
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
What a nice intro! Clap

I feel like I know you already. And a firefighter huh! Impressive. I'm terrified of fire.

I think you'll fit in just fine here!

Welcome, welcome. Hedgehog
[Image: graphics-rain-426733.gif]
Welcome aboard!
We do have a fire or two running wild around here... could you help with those? Smile
Welcome. Good intro, GREAT story. Hope you enjoy yourself here.

Just curious - is 'Apnostic' a typo, or some modifier for 'atheism' of which I'm unaware?

Either way, good to have you here.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Thanks for the warm (heh) welcome everyone! I'll dive into the other sections tomorrow and find something to pop my cherry on.

(August 12, 2014 at 4:11 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Just curious - is 'Apnostic' a typo, or some modifier for 'atheism' of which I'm unaware?

I dunno if it's anything 'official'. I saw it mentioned a while back on the WWGHA boards and liked how it sounded. Something along the lines of "I don't think there are any gods but don't really care one way or the other." People are what matter, for better or worse.
~
The only difference between belief in God and belief in Santa Claus is that eventually people stop telling you Santa Claus is real.
~
(August 12, 2014 at 4:32 am)FlowingFlame Wrote:
(August 12, 2014 at 4:11 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Just curious - is 'Apnostic' a typo, or some modifier for 'atheism' of which I'm unaware?

I dunno if it's anything 'official'. I saw it mentioned a while back on the WWGHA boards and liked how it sounded. Something along the lines of "I don't think there are any gods but don't really care one way or the other." People are what matter, for better or worse.

That's usually considered "agnostic": a- (no) gnosis (knowledge)
(August 12, 2014 at 4:46 am)pocaracas Wrote:
(August 12, 2014 at 4:32 am)FlowingFlame Wrote: I dunno if it's anything 'official'. I saw it mentioned a while back on the WWGHA boards and liked how it sounded. Something along the lines of "I don't think there are any gods but don't really care one way or the other." People are what matter, for better or worse.

That's usually considered "agnostic": a- (no) gnosis (knowledge)

Fairly sure that's apatheist, but no matter. Good to have you here. Smile

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Hmmm... What to write...? D.S.M. 30 5694 April 17, 2010 at 4:12 pm
Last Post: D.S.M.