Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 12:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello
Hello
Hello All! My name is Jimmy, I'm 35 and from Oklahoma. I was raised Pentecostel. I never really bought in to the church or even asked to become a member or be saved. I was still a huge faker until my early 20's, I would go with my girlfriend whose now my wife. At this point in life I'd start to question family and friends beliefs. I would point out errors in the bible or problems with creationism. In Oklahoma this is never warmly received. It's even ignored by my own family and explained off as I'll come around. I can't even express or debate at work my own beliefs. I hear how atheist are talked about and only recieve bible verses or snarls if I make a sarcastic Jesus comment here or there. I'm successful and have worked for an energy company the last 7 years. We (Atheist) are definetley discriminated and looked down upon in the Bible Belt. I know it wouldn't help my career to bring it up with friends at work, so I don't. Still a huge faker or at least that's the way it seems. I have 3 daughters the oldest and youngest attend church with their mother. My middle one is the question asker, She is also an Atheist. I've never did anything but answer her questions and ask her to use her brain to research what she's being told. Just want her to ask questions and think for herself, would want the same if she was buying a house,car or into religion. This is deeply unpopular with mine and my spouses family. Guess I created an account to know that I'm not alone and that others feel the way I do. I'm a proud family man, veteran and Atheist. Unfortunately I just can't say all 3 out loud sometimes. I enjoy fishing, boating and OU Sooner football. I'm looking forward to hearing others experiences. Different beliefs have put a great deal of stress on my marriage. I fear that once the kids are out of the house the wedge, her fears of not being together in the afterlife will be too great. I feel it's a losing battle, just feel more and more like I have to be me and able to express my own beliefs. Thanks in advance for reading.
RE: Hello
Welcome to the forum, Jimmy. You'll find plenty like-minded people to talk to here.

That's a tough position to be in, I must say. Living in largely-secular Europe as I do makes life much easier. Hang in there.

Welcome

Diablo
Welcome!
Many bible-belters around, so you'll fit right in.
me? I'm from across the pond in Portugal, where, despite it being touted as a traditionally catholic country, people are so relaxed about religion that most the sub-40 (or even sub-50) are, at least, non-practicing believers. We couldn't care less what people believe about after they die.
It's while they live that counts... tell that to your wife.
Make your lives count, not your wishes about what comes after... for all we know, nothing comes after.
Welcome
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Welcome Jimmy!

Sorry about your state. It seems to be on of the worst for idiotic backwards bigotry. I would listen to Seth Andrews of The Thinking Atheist podcast. His story is very much like yours. Lives in OK, raised pentecostal, and left the church some time ago and is a vocal atheist, to his family's chagrin.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/blog/8...ouragement
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Welcome, Jimmy Smile
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
Thanks for the welcome everybody! Steel Curtain, I'll for sure check out Seth's podcast. Thanks for the info!
[Image: fABk4.gif]
Front row! Pack yer shit son Thumb up
(August 15, 2014 at 3:44 am)JimmyM35 Wrote: Hello All! My name is Jimmy, I'm 35 and from Oklahoma. I was raised Pentecostel. I never really bought in to the church or even asked to become a member or be saved. I was still a huge faker until my early 20's, I would go with my girlfriend whose now my wife. At this point in life I'd start to question family and friends beliefs. I would point out errors in the bible or problems with creationism. In Oklahoma this is never warmly received. It's even ignored by my own family and explained off as I'll come around. I can't even express or debate at work my own beliefs. I hear how atheist are talked about and only recieve bible verses or snarls if I make a sarcastic Jesus comment here or there. I'm successful and have worked for an energy company the last 7 years. We (Atheist) are definetley discriminated and looked down upon in the Bible Belt. I know it wouldn't help my career to bring it up with friends at work, so I don't. Still a huge faker or at least that's the way it seems. I have 3 daughters the oldest and youngest attend church with their mother. My middle one is the question asker, She is also an Atheist. I've never did anything but answer her questions and ask her to use her brain to research what she's being told. Just want her to ask questions and think for herself, would want the same if she was buying a house,car or into religion. This is deeply unpopular with mine and my spouses family. Guess I created an account to know that I'm not alone and that others feel the way I do. I'm a proud family man, veteran and Atheist. Unfortunately I just can't say all 3 out loud sometimes. I enjoy fishing, boating and OU Sooner football. I'm looking forward to hearing others experiences. Different beliefs have put a great deal of stress on my marriage. I fear that once the kids are out of the house the wedge, her fears of not being together in the afterlife will be too great. I feel it's a losing battle, just feel more and more like I have to be me and able to express my own beliefs. Thanks in advance for reading.

I have quite a few christian family that don't know I'm atheist yet, so I understand.

Here you can openly talk about your atheism. Enjoy.

Welcome Hi
[Image: graphics-rain-426733.gif]
Hi Jimmy. You seem to know how to compromise to keep the majority happy.
You're a good man. Just keep playing the game.
Why fight over nothing? That's really all it is at the end of the day? Nothing!

Take care...

You'll fit right in here.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Hello Hello loush 17 5965 December 13, 2010 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: theophilus
  Hello hello! DgyJff 8 3632 August 30, 2010 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: RachelSkates