Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello
Hello
Hi, everybody. I just found these forums tonight so I decided to check you guys out. I'm a forty year old former Southern Baptist, now an atheist, and I am trying to find a larger network of atheists to chat with/ learn from.

Becoming an atheist has been one of the best things to ever happen to me, but it's been difficult in the sense that I have lost some friends and some of my family members treat me very coolly where before they didn't.

I'm looking forward to checking out the forums. Smile

Jen
RE: Hello
Hello Jen...
My dad was my dad but as a human being, I wouldn't give him the time of day!
He was an old school tyrant towards the whole family...
The worst part was he wasn't even religious!
The world really is a mixed bag!

Good luck with everything and a big welcome.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Welcome to the forum.

If your family can't be bothered, then tell them to come and see me!

Welcome
Diablo
Hi Jen and welcome! If people treat you coldly because of your atheism, they don't care about what you truly are. They don't deserve to be around you.

Have a nice stay Big Grin
"Every luxury has a deep price. Every indulgence, a cosmic cost. Each fiber of pleasure you experience causes equivalent pain somewhere else. This is the first law of emodynamics [sic]. Joy can be neither created nor destroyed. The balance of happiness is constant.

Fact: Every time you eat a bite of cake, someone gets horsewhipped.

Facter: Every time two people kiss, an orphanage collapses.

Factest: Every time a baby is born, an innocent animal is severely mocked for its physical appearance. Don't be a pleasure hog. Your every smile is a dagger. Happiness is murder.

Vote "yes" on Proposition 1321. Think of some kids. Some kids."
Welcome aboard.
Enjoy your stay.
Our cookie lady will be around shortly with your complimentary cookies! Wink
Hey Jen, welcome to the forums. Smile Hope you stick around.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
Welcome
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Welcome Jen!
Congrats on your freedom, sorry to hear about the family. Just continue to be you, and they'll see that being an atheist doesn't make you different in a bad way.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Wilkommen!
Be sure to barbecue kittens, record the NFL without their permission and rip the tags off of your mattress.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Hello Hello loush 17 5978 December 13, 2010 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: theophilus
  Hello hello! DgyJff 8 3646 August 30, 2010 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: RachelSkates