Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fundies
fundies
Islamism and terrorism is starting to drive Muslims away from islam (not me, I left islam for other reasons) in countries like Saudi Arabia and Egypt.

What do you think we can do to stop fundamentalism,? And you can rant about fundamentalists if you'd like.

By the way, my "friend" at lectures is the most religious crazy person I know at college (he forced me to go to a mosque, twice. And he hates non Muslims, even the good ones). How can I deal with him? I skipped many lectures because of him (partly, I'm bad at physics, there's no point of sitting there confused. the other lecturers didn't have challenging material)
RE: fundies
Mass education.
Establish stable secular government would be one way. Egypt got rid of the Muslim Brotherhood and have gone in that direction. Hopefully the new government in Iraq will be inclusive of all the various ethnic/sectarian groups and may head in that direction. If the West really wanted to go that route then they would support Bashar al-Assad, end the civil war in Syria, stabilise the region, and make it impossible for groups like IS to exist.

Don't hold your breath though.
Lol education? You guys must be kidding, people who are now fundies are so delusional and brainwashed that nothing would change their mind, education will suffice to children still unaffected by fundamentalist doctrines, but what about the current fundies? They'd still commit terrorist acts, executing them works better, all of them, no exceptions Wink
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(August 17, 2014 at 7:42 am)Blackout Wrote: Lol education? You guys must be kidding, people who are now fundies are so delusional and brainwashed that nothing would change their mind, education will suffice to children still unaffected by fundamentalist doctrines, but what about the current fundies?
What do you suggest then? I can't think of a single way that doesn't involve violence, unfortunately.

Quote:They'd still commit terrorist acts, executing them works better, all of them, no exceptions ;)
Not all fundamentalists are terrorists.
Baqal, I don't actually think we should execute fundies, notice the irony on my former reply Wink It's hard to give education to someone who doesn't want it, would we force them onto it?
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(August 17, 2014 at 5:25 am)Baqal Wrote: Mass education.

That'll just turn them Catholic. Wink

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(August 17, 2014 at 9:09 am)Blackout Wrote: Baqal, I don't actually think we should execute fundies, notice the irony on my former reply ;) It's hard to give education to someone who doesn't want it, would we force them onto it?
But isn't forcing education violence as well?
(August 17, 2014 at 9:14 am)Baqal Wrote:
(August 17, 2014 at 9:09 am)Blackout Wrote: Baqal, I don't actually think we should execute fundies, notice the irony on my former reply Wink It's hard to give education to someone who doesn't want it, would we force them onto it?
But isn't forcing education violence as well?
Exactly my point. If they don't want education, how would we change them? It would be preferable if it was before they blew up a building or stoned a woman for adultery

Secular governments with free speech, free press and no censorship of the internet would go a long ways. The ideas of Islam are wrong and thinking people exposed to that will realize it. We'll never be rid of fundamentalism completely but the allowing people to be exposed to different ideas (or to apostate without fear of being killed by the state) would go a long ways. This is not an easy fix though. It's really impossible to bomb someone into freedom (as our various attempts have shown.) I think it's best to uphold these ideals ourselves and hope that people will want to emulate out system.

(August 17, 2014 at 9:52 am)Blackout Wrote:
(August 17, 2014 at 9:14 am)Baqal Wrote: But isn't forcing education violence as well?
Exactly my point. If they don't want education, how would we change them? It would be preferable if it was before they blew up a building or stoned a woman for adultery

The leaders of these countries don't want education for the people. I think the stonings, etc are more a result of lack of education than anything. People will want education, if for no other reason to have a better life for their children. One near-universal human trait is to want what's best for your children.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lions and fundies and fearmongers OH MY Brian37 5 1802 July 29, 2012 at 5:05 am
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused