Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 11:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Obesity
Obesity
I saw a family today, parents and 2 pre-teen children, all of them shockingly obese. They were walking, or rather waddling, along the road stuffing their mouths with yet more food. They were British, too.

Now, I'm a believer that adults are entitled to do pretty much what they want with their bodies: drink, smoke, extreme sports etc. I post on a rugby forum and some of the injury anecdotes there are pretty bad. But that's adults. (Who pays for it is a different issue.)

But it seems to me that allowing your children to get that obese, in the knowledge - if they understand it - that the child will likely have multiple health problems, and die young, represents child abuse. If it wasn't for the fact that the care system in Britain is terrible, with very poor outcomes, I'd suggest that the children should be taken into care. As it is, I guess there's not very much that can be done. Maybe social services could intervene.

Very disturbing.Angry
RE: Obesity
Yes, I think part of taking care of your kids is also managing their health. It's great that these parents are adequately feeding their kids, but they also need to try not to go too far.

On the other hand, if you're not very responsible about your own diet, you're less likely to be responsible with other people's diet.

If only eating wasn't such a fun activity to do.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

[Image: b8w44.jpg]
We can't have all of those delicious food stamps and free immigrant healthcare going to waste, can we?
Cruelest thing I can think of to do to a child. Render the unable to enjoy most of the fun stuff we did as kids!

Yes, I'm fattist. Comes from too many 30 stone people expecting me to have a solution to their burned out knees (which does not involve "stop eating all the pies!").

(August 17, 2014 at 6:40 pm)ShaMan Wrote: We can't have all of those delicious food stamps and free immigrant healthcare going to waste, can we?

Seriously?! You wanna make this a welfare issue?!
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
It is difficult for parents to raise their kid differently from how they were raised. The family you (OP) mentioned is an example of this. If I constantly eat a lot I will automatically feed my kid a lot. If I'm a chain smoker I don't give a shit if my kid inhales the fumes, so my kid will end up smoking too most likely. This is also, ultimately, with beliefs. If I'm a devout christian, my kid will most likely become christian too, without him/her actually having a choice.

I'm not saying that it is right of course, but it is normal that the parents' habits will be passed onto their kid. Thus, in this case, resulting into horrible health conditions from such a young age.
Can't disagree with the OP. Making your children obese is not really any different than giving them a pack of lucky strikes each week, knowing the outcomes of both.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
(August 18, 2014 at 3:25 am)Jacob(smooth) Wrote:
(August 17, 2014 at 6:40 pm)ShaMan Wrote: We can't have all of those delicious food stamps and free immigrant healthcare going to waste, can we?
Seriously?! You wanna make this a welfare issue?!
Not the entire obesity issue, no. However, the city in which I currently reside is overwhelmed with morbidly obese immigrants and their equally obese children who buy unhealthy food with EBT and WIC. The sad fact is that the most affordable food is also the most unhealthy, and my neighborhood has more than it's share of obese welfare recipients.
(August 18, 2014 at 5:02 pm)ShaMan Wrote:
(August 18, 2014 at 3:25 am)Jacob(smooth) Wrote: Seriously?! You wanna make this a welfare issue?!
Not the entire obesity issue, no. However, the city in which I currently reside is overwhelmed with morbidly obese immigrants and their equally obese children who buy unhealthy food with EBT and WIC. The sad fact is that the most affordable food is also the most unhealthy, and my neighborhood has more than it's share of obese welfare recipients.

Fair play. That's often true, especially in urban areas.
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
What about cripples, retards, and people with an incurable diseases? Tell us mein fuhrur how they make you sick as well. Tell us what your final solution would be to cure the world of this plague... Oh and dont forget about das udens as well. Tell us how the world would be at peace if not for das udens.

Just curious, how many generations are you from wwii? Who's side did your grandfather fight on?
(August 17, 2014 at 3:40 pm)Diablo Wrote: Very disturbing.Angry
You think that's disturbing…
[Image: th_093.gif]

Mexico, With World's Top Obesity Rate
[Image: obesidad.jpg]
Mexico now has a higher rate of overweight people than the United States, and it also has the highest prevalence of diabetes among the 34-nation Organisation of Economic Co-operation and Development.

Every time I leave my house it's like if I step inside a obesity commercial.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Maher/Corden and obesity brewer 83 3201 September 27, 2019 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Obesity: five facts Aractus 94 11670 November 30, 2014 at 4:21 am
Last Post: fr0d0