Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adivice
Adivice
I think someone I know to be an atheist, how can I confirm that? How can I test the waters? And how can I make sure they know that I'm okay with atheists? (Don't worry, worst case scenario is they'll preach)
I don't want to out myself.

And how can I improve my writing skills?
RE: Adivice
(August 18, 2014 at 10:59 am)czúzyt ylgájla Wrote: I think someone I know to be an atheist, how can I confirm that? How can I test the waters? And how can I make sure they know that I'm okay with atheists? (Don't worry, worst case scenario is they'll preach)

Get them out in the sun, real atheists don't cast shadows.

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
(August 18, 2014 at 11:20 am)ManMachine Wrote:
(August 18, 2014 at 10:59 am)czúzyt ylgájla Wrote: I think someone I know to be an atheist, how can I confirm that? How can I test the waters? And how can I make sure they know that I'm okay with atheists? (Don't worry, worst case scenario is they'll preach)

Get them out in the sun, real atheists don't cast shadows.

MM

We also don't have reflections. Which is good...I'd crack the mirror anyway.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
Offer them a baby.

If they eat it, atheist.
If they were interested in it up to the point it was born then don't give a damn til military age, right wing America christian
If they f**K it, roman catholic
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
Feel under their fringe for the horns? Cut them in half and look for the big red A that goes right through their trunk? Throw holy water at them and look for an unimpressed reaction? Listen for a heartbeat: if you don't hear one, you've got yourself an atheist. Tongue
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(August 18, 2014 at 10:59 am)czúzyt ylgájla Wrote: And how can I improve my writing skills?
Read, read, read...
Seriously guys I'd like to get friends, cause I don't have any.

(August 18, 2014 at 11:56 am)ShaMan Wrote:
(August 18, 2014 at 10:59 am)czúzyt ylgájla Wrote: And how can I improve my writing skills?
Read, read, read...

Suggestions? (Preferably for free but not pirated)
Stick a thumb up their pooper. If it's cold as ice--atheist. Anybody knows this is the only real way to tell.

Seriously, though... you have to ask. No way to surreptitiously tell. Think about what you're asking for a minute, and you'll see why everyone responded with a joke. There's no way to outwardly tell, no "atheist test" other than having a conversation with this person. Drop hints that you have doubts and see if he bites.

As for your second point, Amazon always has free audiobooks that you can get. I peruse their free section regularly. Recently I got one of my favorite books ever "A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man," by James Joyce. Highly recommended.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Then how can I stop being nervous? (this is the first time I have butterflies or maybe I overateBig Grin)
What topic is good to start with? Thinking

He made fun of something we were taught in Islamic education, that's why I'm asking.
(August 18, 2014 at 11:56 am)ShaMan Wrote: Read, read, read...
(August 18, 2014 at 11:59 am)czúzyt ylgájla Wrote: Suggestions?
Anything that fascinates you. Choose from any genres that capture your interest. Diversity in reading choices is highly recommended. Poetry, history, business, science, fiction, non-fiction... Take it all in.
(August 18, 2014 at 11:59 am)czúzyt ylgájla Wrote: Seriously guys I'd like to get friends, cause I don't have any.
Write a story. Devise characters that will entertain you. Seriously.