Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why the stigma with Pantheism?
Why the stigma with Pantheism?
I flirted with the idea of pantheism and I lean more in that direction, than atheism. It's totally backed by scientific logic. "A star died, so you can exist" is not disputable. Our physical world is made out of the same stuff and are bound by the same physics. There's really no controversy until the G-Bomb is dropped. Then the fugly can of stigma is cracked open.

Dawkins calls it sexed up atheism like it's a bad thing. In all fairness, nobody wants to see Dawkins all sexed up, so I don't blame him. What is the opposite of sexed up anyways? I'll just be polite and call it abstinent.

Carl Sagan seemed to lean towards pantheism, more than atheism. Einstein and Mark Twain also leaned in that direction.
god is supposed to be imaginary
RE: Why the stigma with Pantheism?
Yes I lean that way also, you don't need others to agree or not to agree with your belief, people like Dawkins, throw out the baby with the bath water.
Too much woo.
Aren't patheists basically atheists who label the universe as god to give life a higher sense of wonder and awesomeness?

I don't have a problem with pantheists at all, I just don't see much point in identifying the universe as being god
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Whatever you want to call it, it doesn't matter, all I know its bigger than you and I could ever imagine, and yes there is wonder and awesomeness in it all.
I don't see much point in calling all of existence god. Though personally I have little problems with it. Much like deism. Just don't push anything on me, you know? The biggest issue was the abrahamic religions is the convert or burn mentality. Well maybe not so much the jewish one.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(August 24, 2014 at 10:00 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Too much woo.
You see. It's a stigma for the sake of stigma. There is no pseudo-science involved.

(August 24, 2014 at 10:21 pm)Chad32 Wrote: The biggest issue was the abrahamic religions is the convert or burn mentality. Well maybe not so much the jewish one.
Have you read the old testament or seen how they decorated the Gaza strip?
god is supposed to be imaginary
I don't like the word god also, but I do use words like, super-consciousness or the source, there not so loaded as the word god is.
I could see panentheism before pantheism. The universe is God — what does that even mean?
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Saying the universe is God doesn't achieve anything but a semantic conflation. It does not have any useful implications, unless you define either the universe or God in a way to merit the use of both terms.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Isn’t pantheism the same thing as atheism? Ferrocyanide 177 10548 January 1, 2022 at 2:36 am
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  I don't understand pantheism Der/die AtheistIn 26 6577 July 26, 2017 at 3:24 pm
Last Post: Gearbreak
  Why, why, why? Little Rik 39 11543 June 14, 2013 at 9:27 am
Last Post: Little Rik