Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 8:11 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Isn’t pantheism the same thing as atheism?
Isn’t pantheism the same thing as atheism?
Allo all,
I call myself an atheism since it is clear that certain gods do not exist, most notably the jewish god (The tanakh claims that this universe/Earth is 6000 y old, that the Earth is fabricated before the Sun, that the Earth is fabricated on day 1, etc.
The various domains of science say no and I go with the science.)

I also call myself an ignotist. The word god has no particular meaning. No sample has been observed. The word god means many things to many people.

Back to pantheism:
Some people call it Spinoza’s god. Based on what I read, it looks like they are labeling the “sum total of the universe” as the god.

So, they are calling the universe a god?
It look like they accept that the universe is a brainless thing, just like me.

So, what is the difference between a pantheist and me?

I do recall that Seax wrote that
“the universe having fundamental purpose and meaning”

but how can a brainless entity have purpose and meaning just out of the blue?
A brain is required to build something, for example a watch, a VHS player, a telegraph, a walkie-talkie, a sheet of glass, indium foil, a diode made of lead sulfide.
Even if the device is simple, such as a sheet of glass, the brain has a use for it in its everyday life.

Albert Einstein has said that he believes in Spinoza’s god but I think back then, it was harder to come out of the closet.
At least he was clear enough when he said that he doesn’t accept the anthropomorphic god that is the jewish god.
(I only mention the above since it comes up often in conversations.)

--Ferrocyanide
RE: Isn’t pantheism the same thing as atheism?
Why does a god have to have a brain?
(March 14, 2021 at 12:38 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Why does a god have to have a brain?

Because those ascribing a brain to his don’t?
This reminds me of the component of Alcoholics Anonymous where one must identify a "higher power" - some people choose the number 9 bus, others their favourite potted plant etc....some people are happy to call anything "God" it seems - not me however. God (singular) is the sole preserve of Judaeo-Christian monotheism. Whenever anybody asks me "do/don't you believe in God?" I reply "which God?" partly for this reason (also to make them think, hopefully "yeah...why don't I believe in Thor/Ganesh/Apollo etc etc etc"). I see no more reason to call "the entirety of the universe God" than to call a bowl of Cheerio breakfast cereal God.
Quote:Isn’t pantheism the same thing as atheism?

Short answer: No
Cetero censeo religionem delendam esse
(March 14, 2021 at 12:58 pm)Lawz Wrote: This reminds me of the component of Alcoholics Anonymous where one must identify a "higher power" - some people choose the number 9 bus, others their favourite potted plant etc....some people are happy to call anything "God" it seems - not me however. God (singular) is the sole preserve of Judaeo-Christian monotheism. Whenever anybody asks me "do/don't you believe in God?" I reply "which God?" partly for this reason (also to make them think, hopefully "yeah...why don't I believe in Thor/Ganesh/Apollo etc etc etc"). I see no more reason to call "the entirety of the universe God" than to call a bowl of Cheerio breakfast cereal God.
It's just a dodge, a way to say "god" without saying "god". The AA religion failed while Scientology actually made some money.
(March 14, 2021 at 12:38 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Why does a god have to have a brain?

Or a penis.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
These are all excellent questions.

The claims in Genesis are even more absurd than a 6,000 year old earth & the earth existing before the sun. That the earth is around four and a half billion years old is not really intuitive, nor is it apparent from most men's daily experience that we live on a rapidly spinning sphere orbiting the sun. These things have only relatively recently become apparent, from radiocarbon dating & astronomy. The really absurd claims are the Garden of Eden, which early Christian apologists like Origen defended as allegorical, rather than literal, truths. The story was ridiculous to most even in a time when things like ceremonial magic went unquestioned.

But to the main point.

Pantheism is not, strictly speaking, a monolithic thing. It comes in many forms, and my explanation may not fit every form of pantheism. Pantheism is generally associated with idealism, but some forms are materialistic. Most are naturalistic, but some are more supernatural or animistic. I will explain my own personal views.

To really grasp pantheism, you have to grasp the difference between dualism and monism. Dualism is the idea (applied to anything, be it metaphysics, ethics, God, the soul, ect.) that there are two fundamental kinds of elemental things that cannot be reduced to each other or to a common thing. Monism is the idea that only one kind of fundamental thing exists, to which all others can be reduced. Materialism, which most atheists here probably hold to, or the belief that everything can be reduced to matter, including the mind, is a form of substance monism.

Christianity is essentially dualistic in most ways, though many Christians, especially Catholics, hate the term. They believe that God is separate from nature & regard much that is natural, and in my view healthy, as ungodly. While Christianity doesn't condemn reproduction, all traditional Christian sects believe that complete celibacy is morally and spiritually better. The Pagan Greeks saw lust, hunger, pride, ect. as natural healthy impulses which could get out of hand, and believed that good lay in healthy exercise of them; between the extremes of wantonness and total denial. Moderation and selfcontrol; enjoying food without overeating, sex without becoming a letcher, wine without overdrinking, feeling anger without becoming a slave to rage; this was the Pagan ideal. The Christian view is that these impulses are inherently sinful and wicked, and that while moderating them is fine and well, avoiding them completely is even better. The Christian God is thus opposed to nature, and Christianity sees nature as base, if not outright evil. Christianity has to keep God separate from nature, otherwise He would be violating their idea of what God ought to be. Christianity has to maintain all the supernatural hockuspockus & divine intervention, because otherwise the Christian God necessarily seems to have abandoned the world. In early modern France many of the more sensible and educated took exactly this view, and believed that God had created the world but never intervened in it (deism). Antony Flew held a similar view after he embraced deism, though he did believe that the earliest forms of life had been intelligently designed. (I personally find Flew's arguments not very persuasive, but I respect him for his convictions that lead to him being denounced by atheists & endlessly pestered by Christians.)

Pantheism is a monist conception of God. It is logical and coherent. God would not create a universe with laws opposed to His Will. So we must assume that all of nature, the entire universe, is in accord with God. Once this is understood, we can away with supernatural interventions, because God acts through natural laws, which are His Will. If naturals laws and actions are the Will of God, then it follows that everything is an act of God and everything is part of God. The dualistic distinction between God & nature is meaningless. Everything from vertebrates outcompeting the giant arthropods of the Carboniferous to the development of highly cognitive mammals and the biological evolution of human morality has been the Will of God, and everything that will happen will be the Will of God. Those that are ungodly are dealt with through natural laws; the Christians that reject nature & believe sex is evil & never reproduce are punished with genetic extinction, as are the secular anti-natalists & other anti-natural nutcases. If we continue to destroy our planet we too will be punished severely for it with ecological catastrophes. Maladapted animals are eliminated through natural selection, and when extinction creates a gap, speciesification quickly fills it. Nature always triumphs.

Both pantheism and materialism-atheism are monist theologies. Both are naturalistic insofar as they rely on natural explanations over the supernatural. The difference is that atheist monism rules out God, while pantheist monism rules out everything else. The atheists looks at the trees, the stars, outer space & says 'I don't see any God.' The pantheist sees nothing but God. Atheism sees the universe and its laws as meaningless, pantheism sees them as the Will of God. As for how a brainless thing can have meaning, I see not why we should assume that anything with a brain has meaning out of the blue either. I hold that meaning comes from God, from nature.

(March 14, 2021 at 11:45 am)Ferrocyanide Wrote: Allo all,
I call myself an atheism since it is clear that certain gods do not exist, most notably the jewish god (The tanakh claims that this universe/Earth is 6000 y old, that the Earth is fabricated before the Sun, that the Earth is fabricated on day 1, etc.
The various domains of science say no and I go with the science.)

I also call myself an ignotist. The word god has no particular meaning. No sample has been observed. The word god means many things to many people.

Back to pantheism:
Some people call it Spinoza’s god. Based on what I read, it looks like they are labeling the “sum total of the universe” as the god.

So, they are calling the universe a god?
It look like they accept that the universe is a brainless thing, just like me.

So, what is the difference between a pantheist and me?

I do recall that Seax wrote that
“the universe having fundamental purpose and meaning”

but how can a brainless entity have purpose and meaning just out of the blue?
A brain is required to build something, for example a watch, a VHS player, a telegraph, a walkie-talkie, a sheet of glass, indium foil, a diode made of lead sulfide.
Even if the device is simple, such as a sheet of glass, the brain has a use for it in its everyday life.

Albert Einstein has said that he believes in Spinoza’s god but I think back then, it was harder to come out of the closet.
At least he was clear enough when he said that he doesn’t accept the anthropomorphic god that is the jewish god.
(I only mention the above since it comes up often in conversations.)

--Ferrocyanide

Einstein took a lot of flack for his pantheism, Dawkins writes about it in the early part of The God Delusion. He certainly didn't express pantheistic views because he thought it would protect his reputation. He called himself a 'deeply religious nonbeliever.'
I'm gonna call atheism pantheism, pantheism atheism, and call God "the universe" and screw everybody up.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

How else is this god (or gods) going to think?

Because there are only 3 choices:
1. Some thing is designed and assembled by a thinking being, capable of logic and mathematics and perhaps has "good taste".
2. Some thing simply exists.
3. Some thing gets assembled via the intrinsic properties of nature: For example, 2 protons join. This duo has an excess amount of energy. Eventually one proton converts to a neutron and a neutrino and position gets emitted at high speed.

--Ferrocyanide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A thing about religious (and other) people and the illusion of free will ShinyCrystals 265 11445 December 6, 2023 at 12:21 am
Last Post: Harry Haller
  One cool thing about Christianity and Islam Edge92 55 3362 June 4, 2021 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  We are all the same species.. Brian37 32 3186 July 22, 2019 at 2:50 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Being Catholic isn't an ethnic thing. Joods 0 788 March 12, 2018 at 8:36 am
Last Post: Joods
  So why did the hook nose "become a thing" in discriminatory appearance? Roberto 12 3564 January 23, 2018 at 5:52 am
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  The most beautiful thing to me about the world. Mystic 24 4038 November 13, 2017 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Isn't it funny... pabsta 189 55839 August 21, 2017 at 12:11 am
Last Post: Astonished
  I don't understand pantheism Der/die AtheistIn 26 6534 July 26, 2017 at 3:24 pm
Last Post: Gearbreak
  Christianity is the same as Scientology Alex K 37 5625 April 9, 2017 at 8:46 am
Last Post: Alex K
  I don't exactly feel the same way I once did. Ryantology 18 2695 January 26, 2017 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain