Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A thought about thought crime.
A thought about thought crime.
So, if thinking about adultery is the same as actual adultery in the eyes of god, if your thoughts and intents can convict you to hell, shouldn't that work both ways? If my thoughts are so potent then shouldn't just thinking about praying and being saved be enough to get me into heaven? Thinking
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
RE: A thought about thought crime.
Thank god this isn't a thread saying mere thoughts should get you into jail
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(August 30, 2014 at 5:46 pm)Esquilax Wrote: So, if thinking about adultery is the same as actual adultery in the eyes of god, if your thoughts and intents can convict you to hell, shouldn't that work both ways? If my thoughts are so potent then shouldn't just thinking about praying and being saved be enough to get me into heaven? Thinking

It does work both ways.. But it's not just thought, but the lust in ones heart that make lust after another woman adultery.

If you want to find God in your heart He will meet you 1/2 way.
Drich, your heart is an organ that doesn't have anything in it except blood. The only place such considerations are going on is in the brain, so theoretically all I have to do to be saved is just think really hard about it. Then I'll have salvation "in my heart," and it'll all be cool.

I mean, that's the only logically consistent execution of this thought crime thing. Dodgy
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
Let's hope it works with paying rent as well Tongue

I thought about doing it, hopefully my landlord will think that's fine
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R Tolkien
(August 30, 2014 at 7:02 pm)Tobie Wrote: Let's hope it works with paying rent as well Tongue

I thought about doing it, hopefully my landlord will think that's fine

I tried that with my tuition once.

They withheld registration till I paid. I got stick with a 7am class. Who teaches fluid dynamics at seven in the morning?!?
But I mean, if god is in your heart (brain), then thinking about prayer really is the same thing as prayer because he can hear you. The thing is if has to be genuine or it probably wouldn't count.
It seems to me that making this imaginary adultery as bad as actual adultery encourages adultery rather than discouraging it.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
(August 30, 2014 at 8:42 pm)Losty Wrote: But I mean, if god is in your heart (brain), then thinking about prayer really is the same thing as prayer because he can hear you. The thing is if has to be genuine or it probably wouldn't count.

You don't have to genuinely be considering adultery for it to count as real adultery to Jesus, though. Angel

Quote:It seems to me that making this imaginary adultery as bad as actual adultery encourages adultery rather than discouraging it.

In for a penny, in for a pound, and all that. Tongue

Actually, that might explain why we see so many religious leaders cheating on their wives, sometimes with members of the same sex. Thinking

(August 30, 2014 at 6:44 pm)Esquilax Wrote: Drich, your heart is an organ that doesn't have anything in it except blood. The only place such considerations are going on is in the brain, so theoretically all I have to do to be saved is just think really hard about it. Then I'll have salvation "in my heart," and it'll all be cool.

I mean, that's the only logically consistent execution of this thought crime thing. Dodgy

Uh, no.

: the emotional or moral as distinguished from the intellectual nature: as
a : generous disposition : compassion <a leader with heart>
b : love, affection <won her heart>
c : courage, ardor <never lost heart>
: one's innermost character, feelings, or inclinations <knew it in his heart> <a man after my own heart>
a : the central or innermost part : center
b : the essential or most vital part of something
c : the younger central compact part of a leafy rosette (as a head of lettuce)

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/heart
(August 30, 2014 at 7:35 pm)Natachan Wrote: Who teaches fluid dynamics at seven in the morning?!?
Sadists, clearly.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists don't commit as much crime as the religious? RichardP 6 3494 December 19, 2012 at 9:15 pm
Last Post: Tea Earl Grey Hot
  "In any crime - follow the money" Minimalist 9 4286 September 29, 2012 at 7:27 pm
Last Post: IATIA