Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 11:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thread Pages
Thread Pages
I was just curious if you guys could change the settings on how the "Last Page" is opened up.

I'm sure you already know that it takes you to a "Blank" page when you click on the "Last Page" option, when a comment is posted last on the page before.

I don't know the inter-laying of your setup for this forum, but most php forums have the option to carry over and/or bring you to the last page commented on....

Just a suggestion of course..Smile
Intelligence is the only true moral guide...
RE: Thread Pages
Do you mean an option to bring you on the last page that you've read? For example:

You read a thread to the last page and then leave. 20 people post new comments in the thread, giving the thread an extra 2 pages. When you return, you want to read from where you left off.

You can do that by clicking the "First Unread Post" link (in bold before the thread title in search results / forums).

Or do you mean something else?
No, some times when going to the latest post in a thread and when the previous page has no more room to reply, it takes you to an empty page containing no posts (ie where the next reply would be) rather than the page that had the latest post.

It's slightly irritating but not serious.
Really? Can you give me an example thread where this happens? I've never encountered it...
It's not a specific thread, it's any thread that meets those conditions.

From memory it happens only when you click the 'last' link (1,2,3,4... Last).

At the moment i can't find any that end on a full page, but i'm sure we could make one.
Do you know the conditions needed?
More than 4 pages (to get the ...Last link)
The last page has to be full (ie if it's page 4 next post would be on page 5)

I think that's it, Clicking the ...Last link will now take you to empty page 5 rather than the last post on page 4.
From what I understand, when a thread has a number of replies ending in a 9 (9, 19, 29, 39,...) then the thread is "full" (i.e. it takes up a specific number of pages, and there are 10 posts on each of those pages).

Then when you click "last page" it takes you to a blank page rather than the "last page". However I've found quite a few threads with x9 replies, and they don't do this at all :S

There are various such threads in the science forum: http://atheistforums.org/forum-6.html

I'd really need a specific thread in order to see what is happening.
I don't know what the conditions are then, it hasn't happened to me for quite some time so i'm trying to remember hazy details.
Ok, I found a thread that had 49 replies, and when I clicked 'last page" it took me to the first page of the thread since it had counted wrong. It didn't take me to a blank page though...

Anyway, the problem is due to the thread counter. It only updates the cache every 15 minutes or so, and so the last page link is generated wrong. I'll see what I can do.