Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 4:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zombie Apoc. and the Military
Zombie Apoc. and the Military
So, here is an interesting thing I noticed. In most zombie fiction, the military is always underestimated. No counting the air force and high explosives. They would have automated defenses with chain guns that shoot well over 1000 rounds a min. What do you all think?
[Image: grumpy-cat-and-jesus-meme-died-for-sins.jpg]

I would be a televangelist....but I have too much of a soul.
RE: Zombie Apoc. and the Military
I believe this is why some zombie apocalypse shows happen after everything has gone down, because honestly the military should be able to deal with the problem. So they either have to get that out of the way, or have it before they actually show up.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

This is usually true, I honestly hate it when the military is usually down played. Hence I think a zombie outbreak needs to have short ranged airborne pathogen in it. In either case, there is always this strange bit of hardware amnesia.
[Image: grumpy-cat-and-jesus-meme-died-for-sins.jpg]

I would be a televangelist....but I have too much of a soul.
The military in zombie films seem to be completely incompetent. The traditional slow moving zombie should be no problem for a soldier with atleast some target practice, yet they seem to be easily over run.

The end of Shaun of the dead shows how easily small groups of soldiers can gun down hordes of the undead, clearing block by block leading to normality within week. (Also the best zombie film in my opinion)

The faster moving zombie i could see being a much bigger problem, slow zombies you shoot some..reload...shoot some more repeat several times since they are still a fair distance away...stop for break....shoot again if you get bit it's your own fault for not walking at a brisk pace. Fast ones you shoot...reloa...and i've been bitten. High casualties but still a semi competent military should be able to get on top of it.

For the military to be almost completely useless, the infection would need to be like bladevalant546 said, airborn and highly infectious. Most of the population is killed or infected leaving only a small number of soldiers alive. Not enough to make much of an impact.

tl;dr the military in zombie films are incompetent and couldnt tell their arse from their elbow. Pre zombie infection is the way to go.
I Can't see anything being a major problem if it can be thwarted with bite proof clothing.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(September 7, 2014 at 8:29 am)downbeatplumb Wrote: I Can't see anything being a major problem if it can be thwarted with bite proof clothing.

That's why I always think head north and wear layers. I recently saw part of a zombie movie where the zombies were ripping chunks of flesh off as if they had shark teeth or something.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

I recently saw World War Z for the first time (I assume the infected beings were zombies but I was out of it when I was watched it and don't remember them saying the term itself)

Anyway, the military in that film seemed to deal with them pretty well, despite their incredibly fast transitioning and ability to move quickly. In other words, the military wasn't downplayed in that scenario.
"Yes, I am a Free Lover. I have an inalienable, constitutional and natural right to love whom I may, to love as long or as short a period as I can; to change that love every day if I please, and with that right neither you nor any law you can frame have any right to interfere. And I have the further right to demand a free and unrestricted exercise of that right, and it is your duty not only to accord it, but as a community, to see I am protected in it. I trust that I am fully understood, for I mean just that, and nothing else."
— Victoria Woodhull, “And the truth shall make you free,” a speech on the principles of social freedom, 1871
Y'all are missing the important part:

Zombies are a power-fantasy for preppers and "gun-nuts". Of course these people are going to fantasize about the military being useless, it gives credence to their grass-roots survivalist, anarchic ideals and lets them play cowboy,
Seriously, folks?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I think the capabilities of zombie movie analysts are overestimated.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Hymn to Zombie Jesus JesusHChrist 0 570 April 18, 2014 at 6:07 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Jesus Was A Zombie Tiberius 6 2867 April 8, 2012 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy