Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:02 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists Only Please: Serious Question About Love
Atheists Only Please: Serious Question About Love
1. Does love exist?
2. Have you experienced love?
3. What is love?
Baby don't hurt me,
Don't hurt me
No more...

Okay sorry I admit I just threw that last one in for funsies before anyone else could. Srsly tho reply plz. Kthxbai xox.
RE: Atheists Only Please: Serious Question About Love
1. Love is a label that we attach to chemical reactions in the brain that produce a type of pleasing emotional response. Various neurotransmitters in the brain (oxytocin, vasopressin, etc.) act together and are released via interactions with other people and the resulting feeling we experience is often called love, though each person can have their own definition and personal experience with it.

2. Yes.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
http://atheism.about.com/od/atheismathei...eliefs.htm

Try reading this and then perhaps you'll answer that question for yourself, instead of asking us such silly things.
Luke: You don't believe in the Force, do you?

Han Solo: Kid, I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other, and I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen *anything* to make me believe that there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. 'Cause no mystical energy field controls *my* destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.
1. No idea.
2. Nope
3. I don't know.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. A dog from hell
(September 8, 2014 at 3:03 pm)StealthySkeptic Wrote: http://atheism.about.com/od/atheismathei...eliefs.htm

Try reading this and then perhaps you'll answer that question for yourself, instead of asking us such silly things.

I need to objectively gauge the ordinariness.

But okay, from the article:

"It is indeed normal for an atheist to believe in the existence of things like love, values, beauty, and so forth. Perhaps there are few who don't, but they are in a small enough minority that it's justifiable to ignore them here."

Now, would you say it would be an ordinary or extraordinary claim to believe in the existence of love?
(September 8, 2014 at 3:08 pm)naimless Wrote:
(September 8, 2014 at 3:03 pm)StealthySkeptic Wrote: http://atheism.about.com/od/atheismathei...eliefs.htm

I need to objectively gauge the ordinariness.

But okay, from the article:

"It is indeed normal for an atheist to believe in the existence of things like love, values, beauty, and so forth. Perhaps there are few who don't, but they are in a small enough minority that it's justifiable to ignore them here."

Now, would you say it would be an ordinary or extraordinary claim to believe in the existence of love?

You're starting off on a flawed base here, Naimless. Love is extremely subjective, defined and confined by the one who experiences it. It's the experience of an emotion, not an entity or agent or law. Some people may experience something they call love, others may not experience something they would call love.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(September 8, 2014 at 2:55 pm)naimless Wrote: 1. Does love exist?
3. What is love?
Baby don't hurt me,
Don't hurt me
No more...

Okay sorry I admit I just threw that last one in for funsies before anyone else could. Srsly tho reply plz. Kthxbai xox.

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. A chemical reaction
Dying to live, living to die.
(September 8, 2014 at 2:55 pm)naimless Wrote: 1. Does love exist?
3. What is love?
Baby don't hurt me,
Don't hurt me
No more...

Yes, it exists as a concept. Yes I've experienced it. It's a strong connection between two people. Stronger than that between two friends. It can be different things, like loving your family, your wife, and your children.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

1. Yes.

2. Oh yes x 1000,000,000,000.

What do we win?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Local woman says only way she has survived during COVID is faith Tomatoshadow2 41 2788 December 21, 2020 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
Photo Only 10% of the Nobel prize winners are atheist ? Now I am a Believer 90 6779 January 28, 2020 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: notimportant1234
  Only 10% of the Nobel prize winners are atheist ? Now I am a Believer 0 564 January 18, 2020 at 9:58 am
Last Post: Now I am a Believer
  [Not Even A Little Bit Serious] Why AREN'T You An Atheist? BrianSoddingBoru4 28 3410 December 28, 2019 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Question to atheists Alexmahone 34 4646 July 31, 2018 at 2:00 am
Last Post: Aroura
  Alien Question for Atheists Catholic_Lady 99 13760 May 30, 2018 at 5:54 am
Last Post: robvalue
  The only human being to have won 2 unshared Nobel Prizes was an atheist. Jehanne 29 6631 March 14, 2018 at 10:35 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Fear of hell, advice please orthodox-man 120 24422 March 10, 2018 at 10:08 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Just a bit of advice please MattyVigilante 17 2522 March 1, 2018 at 4:09 am
Last Post: SaStrike
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2197 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet