Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alien Question for Atheists
Alien Question for Atheists
So I started this thread as an off shoot from Tiberius' thread which is a question for Christians.

The scenario on the other thread is this: 

Quote:Peaceful aliens (i.e. intelligent non-humans from another planet, let's say outside of our solar system) make first contact. After getting to know them, the subject of religion comes up. They have a concept of religion, but none of their religions are compatible with Christianity. On top of this, their species made all the advancements that humans did (e.g. invention of writing, the wheel, agriculture, etc.) millennia before we did.

My question is, how would you react, especially with regard to their intelligence, and that their religions are incompatible with Christianity. Would it make you doubt Christianity, or that humans are "special" and made in God's image? 
https://atheistforums.org/thread-55158.html

So I wanted to ask you guys. If it was the other way around, how would you react to it? The other way around as in, we made contact with these intelligent beings and found out that the predominant religion in their planet is very compatible with Christianity, like it's basically the same thing. They talk about God having lived as one of them, they talk about the trinity, salvation, Heaven and Hell, etc. Would it make you doubt your position as atheists, or would it make you more open to exploring Christianity?
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
RE: Alien Question for Atheists
Burden of proof remains the same. Testimony just won't cut it.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I’d definitely be interested in knowing what evidence this smarter species has. But if it’s the Christianity from the Bible that they’re believing...or anything very similar to that book I’d be having none of it. Honestly, even if Christianity were proven beyond all doubts, the best you’d get from me is pretending to love god in hopes that he wouldn’t send me to hell.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
(May 28, 2018 at 7:07 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Burden of proof remains the same. Testimony just won't cut it.

I guess the "evidence" in this case would be the crazy coincidence that an alien species from another solar system has the same predominant religion as us. Would that not give you pause at all?
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(May 28, 2018 at 7:03 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: So I wanted to ask you guys. If it was the other way around, how would you react to it? The other way around as in, we made contact with these intelligent beings and found out that the predominant religion in their planet is very compatible with Christianity, like it's basically the same thing. They talk about God having lived as one of them, they talk about the trinity, salvation, Heaven and Hell, etc. Would it make you doubt your position as atheists, or would it make you more open to exploring Christianity?

That would be super weird.

I'd say I didn't know why it was that way... but I'd sooner believe we were living in a simulation and the simulation is being run by Christians in the distant future, and this is a simulation of the past, than I'd actually believe that there was a supernatural being that lived outside the universe itself. Which is just completely incoherent for me.

An alternative belief would be that there is a supreme alien that is pranking the rest of the universe.

Or if it's just the one other planet with the same beliefs maybe they sent over an alien at 0.AD and Jesus was actually an alien from that planet. Maybe that would explain the miracles. Maybe turning water into wine is perfectly normal for that alien species Tongue

Maybe Jesus is an immortal alien that lives on that planet that they all worship, lol.
I wouldn't worry I already know all other intelligent life forms out there follow the one true path of Pastafarianism.
"For the only way to eternal glory is a life lived in service of our Lord, FSM; Verily it is FSM who is the perfect being the name higher than all names, king of all kings and will bestow upon us all, one day, The great reclaiming"  -The Prophet Boiardi-

Conservative trigger warning.
[Image: s-l640.jpg]

Depends on the level of compatibility.

It would certain be interesting.

And how well does that compatible religion treat the Space Jews?
Dying to live, living to die.
(May 28, 2018 at 7:23 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Depends on the kevel of compatibility.

It would certain be interesting.

She says it would basically just be Christianity.

I imagined them all praying to Jesus and building churches exactly like the same ones on earth. With the same images of Jesus and crucifixes and the belief that he died on a cross and resurrected and the virgin birth, etc.

Would be super weird, right?
[Image: 11958883_f520.jpg]
Quote:The other way around as in, we made contact with these intelligent beings and found out that the predominant religion in their planet is very compatible with Christianity, like it's basically the same thing. They talk about God having lived as one of them, they talk about the trinity, salvation, Heaven and Hell, etc. Would it make you doubt your position as atheists, or would it make you more open to exploring Christianity?

Since I've always held that the progress of a civilization happens in spite of religious belief and not because of it, I don't think it would change my views.  That a lot of human civilizations made wonderful progress before Christianity was even a rumour has never made me think there might be something to worshipping Ishtar or Marduk that made more sense than being an atheist.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A very clever alien.. R00tKiT 85 7585 January 4, 2021 at 10:10 am
Last Post: RozzerusUnrelentus
  Question to atheists Alexmahone 34 4581 July 31, 2018 at 2:00 am
Last Post: Aroura
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2176 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  A Question From Atheists nosferatu323 200 55839 July 4, 2017 at 12:37 am
Last Post: Astonished
  A question to all atheists! Gestas 190 19907 January 30, 2017 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Question For Fellow Atheists... Autolite 218 21222 January 28, 2017 at 9:50 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Question for Atheists: Is coming out as an atheist as hard as coming out as gay? Blackrook 46 11849 May 2, 2015 at 2:38 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Question for Atheists tonyc4444 158 22441 March 26, 2015 at 11:47 am
Last Post: Thackerie
  A question to atheists EccentricAlien 29 9367 February 15, 2015 at 5:26 pm
Last Post: Metis
  Atheists Only Please: Serious Question About Love naimless 50 11147 September 10, 2014 at 7:32 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4