Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:04 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's a guy to do?
What's a guy to do?
Hi all,

I'm a teacher in central Nebraska and one of the classes I teach is Sociology. I try my best to be as unbiased as a good teacher can, but I'm afraid some of my colors have shown when discussing topics like religion and a few of my students may have an inkling as to where I stand with my beliefs. This doesn't really bother me, even though this area of the country is about as anti-secular as it gets. What does bother me, however, is the fact that some of my students have started to mention that they have beliefs similar to mine and are even asking for help/advice. Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for advocating the secular movement to the average adult joe/jane, but I hesitate to share such thoughts with my students. As far as I know, I'm the only educator in the district that thinks this way, so the kids don't have anyone else to talk to and I don't have anyone who can give me any advice other than "repent, idiot". Any thoughts, advice, etc are very much appreciated.

Thanks
RE: What's a guy to do?
Do you have tenure?
As a teacher you might just have to say you can't discuss things like that at school, but the Internet can teach them all they want to know.
(September 17, 2014 at 11:49 pm)thatyoungteacherguy Wrote: Hi all,

I'm a teacher in central Nebraska and one of the classes I teach is Sociology. I try my best to be as unbiased as a good teacher can, but I'm afraid some of my colors have shown when discussing topics like religion and a few of my students may have an inkling as to where I stand with my beliefs. This doesn't really bother me, even though this area of the country is about as anti-secular as it gets. What does bother me, however, is the fact that some of my students have started to mention that they have beliefs similar to mine and are even asking for help/advice. Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for advocating the secular movement to the average adult joe/jane, but I hesitate to share such thoughts with my students. As far as I know, I'm the only educator in the district that thinks this way, so the kids don't have anyone else to talk to and I don't have anyone who can give me any advice other than "repent, idiot". Any thoughts, advice, etc are very much appreciated.

Thanks

First up, welcome.

Secondly it's difficult. If asked directly point them towards various secular groups without too much advocating on your part. There's enough trouble with Christian teachers pushing their beliefs on students, you don't want to be accused of doing the same.

Perhaps your non believing students could set up a Secular Students' Alliance group?
Dying to live, living to die.
(September 17, 2014 at 11:52 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Do you have tenure?

I am not tenured, I've just entered my third year of teaching. I'm unsure if being tenured would impact how I handle this, though.
(September 17, 2014 at 11:49 pm)thatyoungteacherguy Wrote: Hi all,

Thanks

Good day, I live in South Dakota and I am an atheist.

How might a Christian parent see it when they see their children being taught to be atheists?

Many atheists are fighting to keep religion out of the classrooms, do not be the one who crosses the line by bringing atheism into the classroom. You have a responsibility as a teacher to not take advantage of your students.
Good day, I live in South Dakota and I am an atheist.

How might a Christian parent see it when they see their children being taught to be atheists?

Many atheists are fighting to keep religion out of the classrooms, do not be the one who crosses the line by bringing atheism into the classroom. You have a responsibility as a teacher to not take advantage of your students.
[/quote]

I appreciate your thoughts and concerns, but you're a little of base.

1) I never "brought" atheism into my classroom. Karl Marx did.

2)I don't teach them to be atheist, I share the theories of religion as instructed by my curriculum.

3)My students are asking me for advice. I am in no way "taking advantage of them".

I was expecting sound advice from reasonable people.

Thanks.
(September 17, 2014 at 11:59 pm)Celestine Wrote: How might a Christian parent see it when they see their children being taught to be atheists?

Did you even read the post? Dodgy

As to advice... that really depends on your situation, OP. Morally I'd say the better course would be to at least show your atheist students that they aren't alone, but pragmatically I'd do what's necessary to keep your job. You can't help the students if you're not there, after all.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(September 18, 2014 at 12:07 am)thatyoungteacherguy Wrote: I appreciate your thoughts and concerns, but you're a little of base.

1) I never "brought" atheism into my classroom. Karl Marx did.

2)I don't teach them to be atheist, I share the theories of religion as instructed by my curriculum.

3)My students are asking me for advice. I am in no way "taking advantage of them".

I was expecting sound advice from reasonable people.

Thanks.

Then stay within your curriculum, if they ask for advice as you have said simply offer them books or other forms of media where they might get answers or questions from.

From your post you made it sound like you were hinting at having personal discussions with them about religion. Which I think given your status as a teacher would be a very bad idea... at least for you.
(September 17, 2014 at 11:59 pm)thatyoungteacherguy Wrote:
(September 17, 2014 at 11:52 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Do you have tenure?

I am not tenured, I've just entered my third year of teaching. I'm unsure if being tenured would impact how I handle this, though.

Depends on how super christy the administration is.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If Social Darwinism is good, then why does this guy look so unhappy Reymonad 7 1573 November 25, 2013 at 11:20 pm
Last Post: Polaris
  A guy just messaged me this on youtube Znedrow4 16 5547 October 7, 2010 at 9:30 am
Last Post: Jaysyn