Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 8:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bill Maher on PC atheists.......
Bill Maher on PC atheists.......

RE: Bill Maher on PC atheists.......
As tends to be the case with Bill Maher, I both agree and disagree with him. Yes, the kind of stuff that goes on in these Islamic theocracies is pretty unreal. That such actions as genital mutilation and "honor" killings should be be routine in these places is deeply disturbing. It's wrong and there is nothing relativistic about it. I see nothing there to be PC about. It isn't OK that people be treated like that just because that is what happens in their culture, and we shouldn't judge. Bullshit. Wrong is wrong. The rest of the planet is living in the twenty first century, they need to do so also.

But there isn't a lot about it that we can do of a practical nature. If people are going to insist on living with these barbaric ancient values, what can other nations really do about it? They can have whatever laws they want. And in the backwater tribal areas people are going to do as they always have until they themselves decide different. We can get outraged all we want, but I rather think that they could not care any less.

Some of the PC stuff he mentioned was a bit much, but you will always have those who try too hard I suppose. But such issues as getting served by this or that business? Yes, that does count. Used to be in this country once you could not get served a cup of coffee in this country if your skin was the wrong color. It took a quite a lot of doing to get that changed. The LGBT community should not have to settle for second class status in this society. Maher should not belittle that. Those are our issues, fortunately we live in a country that does not have the problems of "honor" killings and genital mutilation others do. Does that mean we should not address what issues we do have? I don't think he'd want us to. They are real, and they do matter, and they are ours so we can actually address them.
“To terrify children with the image of hell, to consider women an inferior creation—is that good for the world?”
― Christopher Hitchens

"That fear first created the gods is perhaps as true as anything so brief could be on so great a subject". - George Santayana

"If this is the best God can do, I'm not impressed". - George Carlin

(September 27, 2014 at 5:15 pm)Raven Wrote: As tends to be the case with Bill Maher, I both agree and disagree with him. Yes, the kind of stuff that goes on in these Islamic theocracies is pretty unreal. That such actions as genital mutilation and "honor" killings should be be routine in these places is deeply disturbing. It's wrong and there is nothing relativistic about it. I see nothing there to be PC about. It isn't OK that people be treated like that just because that is what happens in their culture, and we shouldn't judge. Bullshit. Wrong is wrong. The rest of the planet is living in the twenty first century, they need to do so also.

But there isn't a lot about it that we can do of a practical nature. If people are going to insist on living with these barbaric ancient values, what can other nations really do about it? They can have whatever laws they want. And in the backwater tribal areas people are going to do as they always have until they themselves decide different. We can get outraged all we want, but I rather think that they could not care any less.

Some of the PC stuff he mentioned was a bit much, but you will always have those who try too hard I suppose. But such issues as getting served by this or that business? Yes, that does count. Used to be in this country once you could not get served a cup of coffee in this country if your skin was the wrong color. It took a quite a lot of doing to get that changed. The LGBT community should not have to settle for second class status in this society. Maher should not belittle that. Those are our issues, fortunately we live in a country that does not have the problems of "honor" killings and genital mutilation others do. Does that mean we should not address what issues we do have? I don't think he'd want us to. They are real, and they do matter, and they are ours so we can actually address them.

Pretty sure you largely missed his point.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
Quote:Yes, the kind of stuff that goes on in these Islamic theocracies is pretty unreal.

It's the 'rearrange-the-deckchairs-on-the-Titanic' analogy, Raven.

The damage control team looks at the situation and says:

1. We can't stop the flooding.
2. There aren't enough lifeboats.
3. We can rearrange the deckchairs. Let's get busy.

You are correct. We can't do much to make backwards tribal morons less tribal or less moronic. That does not mean we should not denounce it in the strongest possible terms.
He said nothing that could be remotely construed as belittling the efforts and victories acquired in expanding civil liberties and equality before the law. He was pointing out the hypocrisy that is prevalent with many of the same "liberals" who champion Islam as a religion of peace and suppress the critical voices.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
(September 27, 2014 at 5:15 pm)Raven Wrote: fortunately we live in a country that does not have the problems of "honor" killings and genital mutilation others do.
Oh? What, praytell, is circumcision...... or a "crime of passion"?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I agree with Bill, do not get angry at the wrong people for getting angry at the right people.

Now he does have a case about minorities too. Yes, go after the bigots, but use your own voice, but don't forget that making demands of silence and setting up taboos is not the way to solve issues of bigotry.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fire Marshall BILL, Inspired by another thread. Brian37 20 4984 July 16, 2020 at 6:38 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Preview of GOP ACA replacement bill.... Brian37 0 310 June 21, 2017 at 9:59 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Part Troll: Best Bill Bailey Stand Up Edwardo Piet 0 667 January 18, 2016 at 4:27 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Universe Bill Nye brewer 0 559 July 7, 2015 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Bill Maher on Religion... ThePrimeSingularity 2 953 December 7, 2013 at 11:57 pm
Last Post: Raeven
  Bill Maher New Rules...10-11-2013 Minimalist 4 1265 October 13, 2013 at 5:35 am
Last Post: Captain Colostomy
  bill o'reilly favorite moments justin 6 2407 February 28, 2013 at 9:45 am
Last Post: Something completely different
  Bill Maher on America. Dotard 1 1122 January 23, 2011 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: TheDarkestOfAngels