Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 5:32 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some advice, perhaps?
Some advice, perhaps?
From those of you who understand computers much better than I do.

For the average person, when downloading something (a movie or even windows updates) the game experiences high ping.

I seem to have high ping (and by high ping I do not mean 300ms like some people complain about. Mine usually never drops below 1000ms and usually hovers around 2400ms) when there is nothing else running except the game, but then my ping lowers to what I consider normal (300ms) when I download something.

I was wondering if anyone could explain what is happening with my computer and/or internet connection and if it could be explained what I should do in order to ensure my game always has low ping.

For one thing, I have no way of directly connecting via ethernet. I can only use wifi, though my connection is five bars strong and technically wifi should not be an issue from what I have read. The internet is not mine, but a friend's, and other people also use the connection (I'm thinking this is the problem, though I am not entirely certain).

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: Some advice, perhaps?
Are you being throttled? Could be an isp issue. What games?
(most people don't know how to throttle users on a home network....but you could ask whoever you're plugging into, of course)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
It might be that actually too many people are using the connection at the same time. When everyone start to download / upload something then your ping gonna be nasty.
If you have an opportunity, try to test and play a game late at night when everyone is sleeping. If your ping is gonna be better, then you have your answer.
Hope it helps.
Do you know if wired would be better? 300ms sounds unplayable. 1000 is dead stop lol
Depending on the game, 300ms can work fine, but 1000 is really a bit too much.

With wifi when multiple devices are connected, some can gain priority over others depending on the applications and processes running on them. Even if they are not downloading/uploading files, but running something like an IM, it still can prevent you from accessing a portion of the available net speed. There are net speed boosters out there which basically helps you utilize the complete speed of your network that isn't actually being used by any other processes. I haven't tried these in a WiFi setup, but they might be able to help in your case.
Advice... Thinking

Unplug your computer and take a stroll outdoors. It's the best drive cleaner and reboot I've found. Whenever I plug in to the outdoors, my 'connection' is always much better. Good luck - hope it helps.
I live in a rural backwater. Any internet at all is fantastic, I'm not too prone to griping if it's slow.

Tongue
Depends on the hardware and the driver too. When you say you can't plug in directly, what do you mean? Can you get mains power adaptors or a wireless extender for example?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Had my first Magic: The Gathering games yesterday: Any advice for newbie? ReptilianPeon 18 3381 May 10, 2016 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  Advice on Hardware thesummerqueen 38 4318 December 26, 2014 at 8:46 pm
Last Post: Tonus
  New pc specs, need advice? R-e-n-n-a-t 23 9627 September 11, 2011 at 7:25 am
Last Post: Santewi