Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taqiyya
Taqiyya
What are peoples' thoughts? Taqiyya is the notion in islam that it's ok to lie in order to promote Islamic values.

So we have jihadis, and extreme muslims, and then hardliners.... but taqiyya is written in the quran, so how far can we believe the "moderates"? Are they toeing the party line? or are they truly moderate in a western sense?

You can't blame me for asking, because Islam itself has a built in lying system... and I don't want to be lied to !
RE: Taqiyya
Umm in Christianity, God himself lied , and sent his "evil spirits" to force others to lie. In Hinduism, one of the supreme deities, Vishnu, lied all the time, and so did his avatar Krishna. In Buddhism Goutama Buddha said "When one feels no shame in telling a deliberate lie, there is no evil".

So it seems lying is part of most major religions and might be a basic criterion for being religious besides "ignorant" and "shameless".
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

I remember that lying lesson but we didn't give it it's own name just lying.
I thought taqiyya is pretending to be a non-Muslim in fear of persecution
Nah taqiyya means making friends with people from a different religion and hiding behind them while you are the minority, and backstab them when you have spread enough to claim the majority position.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

It's allowed to lie in Sunni Islam:
To compliment thy wife.
To end a vendetta.
To defeat thy enemy

I thought taqiyya meant being in the closet. I think there's a debate on what it means between sects.

Quote:Nah taqiyya means making friends with people from a different religion and hiding behind them while you are the minority, and backstab them when you have spread enough to claim the majority position.

I think that's the Shia kind of Taqiyya. I think
Nothing new here. All religions suck.

The title of Eusebius' Evangelical Preparation, Book XII

Quote:XXXI. That it will be necessary sometimes to use falsehood as a remedy for the benefit of those who require such a mode of treatment

They are all fucking liars. Keeps up the profit margin.
Atheists don't do taqiyya!!
Big Grin

What would an 'atheist lie' be? That there is a god?
(October 4, 2014 at 6:40 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Big Grin

"I respect your religion"
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
(October 4, 2014 at 6:50 pm)Chas Wrote:
(October 4, 2014 at 6:40 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Big Grin

"I respect your religion"

That would be it.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.