Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Frank Burns is today's right wing.
Frank Burns is today's right wing.
I used to love the TV MASH. Yes it had religious overtones. But the empathy in it despite the horrors of war, is a lesson all humans can learn from.

His character represented an unhealthy blind nationalism and paranoia. Whereas Hawkeye and Trapper and later BJ saw humanity as that no matter where they were from.

Frank would scream if an NK soldier with life threatening injuries were put before an American with minor injuries. I bring up this show and concepts like this because it really needs to be pointed out every so often.

I hate Rush Limbaugh. I think that sick fuck makes his living preying off the gullible and selling fear to get it. Rush is Frank Burns. But in reality if Rush ran a red light in traffic and got t boned and was in need of medical aid, at that moment it would not be any human's job to be judge and let him die because I hate his behavior or actions.

Why do I think this way? Because I know there are believers who hate me and hate what I say, I would not want someone to say "Let that evil atheist die because I don't like what he says".

I promise to my fellow human being, that while I will blast claims I think are absurd, and blast actions of others that are bigoted or oppress, I will not censor you merely because I hate what you might say. I will also lend aid even to those I may not like if the moment requires it.

Frank is a reflection of our species narcissism and selfishness. No, not just Christians, but in all of our species history. He is a reflection of our anthropomorphic utopia think. It takes a wider view of humanity to override our tribal instincts reflected by the compassion of Hawkeye.
RE: Frank Burns is today's right wing.
Frank Burns was also portrayed as an adulterer, despite his conservative political bent.

Or, perhaps, because of it.

Tongue
(October 5, 2014 at 10:13 am)vorlon13 Wrote: Frank Burns was also portrayed as an adulterer, despite his conservative political bent.

Tongue

Well Houlahan did have very hot lips.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

I think all 4 of Rush Limbaugh's wives were disproportionately gifted in the looks department beyond Rush's.

The Joel/Brinkley thing, IOW.
Funniest line EVER on M*A*S*H:

Frank Burns: 'Sir, I have reason to believe the Chinese have captured Major Houlihan.'

Col. Potter: 'I see. So, naturally, you shot Captain Hunnicutt.'

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
My favorite line from MASH was from Maxwell Klinger " May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your yogurt"

My favorite line from that series was from Maxwell Klinger "May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your yogurt!"

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
M*A*S*H had some great lines. One of my favourites was Hawkeye's response to an Ethiopian soldier whose life he saved and who thanked him in Ethiopian: "Well, that's Haile Selassie of you."

Or when Hotlips wanted to talk to BJ about something she was nervous about: "So, talk." (embarrassed silence) "Louder."

And of course, who could forget Radar's line after Colonel Blake told him to slip a message under the door: "It's a verbal message - I'll get my mouth dirty."

But my all-time favourite has to be the little scene ad-libbed by the actors. After an episode of pranking Major Winchester by swapping his uniform for smaller and smaller sizes, making him believe he's putting on weight and start exercising (then increasing the sizes to make him think he's losing weight), this:

Hawkeye: "So, what do we do to him now?"

BJ: (after a moment's thought) "Tomorrow, he gets taller."
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Frank Burns: 'How DARE you wear that hat to inspection??'

Klinger: 'It's spring, sir.'

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(October 5, 2014 at 10:13 am)vorlon13 Wrote: Frank Burns was also portrayed as an adulterer, despite his conservative political bent.

Tongue

There's a lot of that going around with those fuckers.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do you know today that you didn't know yesterday? BrianSoddingBoru4 3670 201271 Today at 4:38 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  How's the weather treating you today? Foxaèr 69 1031 April 20, 2024 at 10:29 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  What did you know yesterday that you don't know today? Gawdzilla Sama 14 1098 December 4, 2023 at 9:43 am
Last Post: brewer
  Awfully quiet today. arewethereyet 29 2284 April 9, 2023 at 6:34 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  Happy Birthday to all the members who were "born" today! Jehanne 7 692 January 4, 2023 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  So much for going to town today. onlinebiker 11 1132 February 19, 2021 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  My uncle died from COVID19 today. Jehanne 17 1109 November 26, 2020 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: Losty
  I heard from Rob today! ReptilianPeon 2 522 March 29, 2020 at 4:36 pm
  Today was a good day...why? arewethereyet 35 3561 March 5, 2020 at 5:14 pm
  I just found out today. Brian37 2 647 February 12, 2020 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: Brian37