Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 7:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hotel Rooms and Toxic Waste (Bibles, BoM, etc)
Hotel Rooms and Toxic Waste (Bibles, BoM, etc)
Recently my GF and I returned from another trip - 3rd one this year.

We tend to stay at Marriotts to consolidate points. As most anyone knows who has stayed at a Marriott and many other hotels - they include a Bible, a Book of Mormon (in Marriott's case) and sometimes, other religious propaganda.

I'm curious what the forum thinks is the best way to deal with this unwelcome religious crap.

On our last trip, my GF wrote a note of warning and placed it in the Bible. She also took the BoM and disposed of it "safely" in a trashcan at the beach.

No intended discrimination between one crappy book and the other crappy book. It just worked out that way. One got the note; the other got the trash.

We had several conversations about it and I mentioned some of us devil-worshipers put warning stickers on the cover:

[Image: BibleWarningLabel2.jpg]

or this one is funny:

[Image: biblefacts.jpg]

What does the room think is the best way to handle unwelcome propagandizing in hotel rooms?

Throw them away -- I like the idea of increasing the distributor's costs, even in a small way. If enough people did this, it could have an impact.

Stickers -- I like the idea of representing an opposing view point and maybe it will trigger someone to think for a moment. Maybe the viewer might look up a fact or two.

Leave them be -- Only recently, in my more anti-theistic phase have I considered taking action. Now, I consider these books toxic and they shouldn't fall into the wrong hands.

Complain to hotel management and ask for a bible-free room?

What do you do?
RE: Hotel Rooms and Toxic Waste (Bibles, BoM, etc)
I just put them in the nightstand drawer and forget about them.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
I just looked in the drawers here in my hotel room, and no religious propaganda! Dammit... I was kinda hoping to do something fun with it :p
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
Aren't hotels expensive?

I propose recycling them

Edit: putting them to good use in general

Like CD have done ↓
(October 7, 2014 at 3:25 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote: I just looked in the drawers here in my hotel room, and no religious propaganda! Dammit... I was kinda hoping to do something fun with it :p

Odd - usually they have a bible lurking somewhere. Is it a chain or a one-off?
Last time I found a bible in a hotel room, I used it to administer an erotic spanking on my girlfriend. Big Grin
(October 7, 2014 at 3:28 pm)JesusHChrist Wrote:
(October 7, 2014 at 3:25 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote: I just looked in the drawers here in my hotel room, and no religious propaganda! Dammit... I was kinda hoping to do something fun with it :p

Odd - usually they have a bible lurking somewhere. Is it a chain or a one-off?

I think it's a one-off. It's a lodge in Tahoe. There are a lot of churches around here too.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
(October 7, 2014 at 3:29 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote: I think it's a one-off. It's a lodge in Tahoe. There are a lot of churches around here too.

Maybe a prior resident already disposed of it.

You could ask for one and put a note in it. Or take it for further "review".
(October 7, 2014 at 3:29 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Last time I found a bible in a hotel room, I used it to administer an erotic spanking on my girlfriend. Big Grin

Did your girlfriend get an infection?
If you don't like the smell of shit, then don't put your nose in the toilet. Would you like theists to "deal with" all of the worldly TV programs offered on hotel room TVs by bashing the TV set? If you don't like the bible then don't read it, but destroying someone else's property because you disagree with it seems rather immature.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A question about atheistic “beliefs” (opinions, guesses, etc.) Frank Apisa 252 15617 June 30, 2021 at 6:51 pm
Last Post: Rahn127
  Life's meaning when you are an atheist - reality, struggle, etc. bussta33 11 4363 December 11, 2015 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Christian poster to an Atheist "You are a waste of a life" MJ the Skeptical 52 10723 July 22, 2014 at 3:15 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Bibles in school TromboneAtheist 24 7936 May 4, 2013 at 11:35 am
Last Post: A_Nony_Mouse
  Family christenings, weddings etc Intimae_Hasta 15 6206 August 9, 2010 at 7:41 am
Last Post: Super Cynic
  'Not labeling ourselves' Vs 'Bright' Vs just plain good old 'Atheist', etc. Edwardo Piet 21 9938 May 14, 2009 at 5:24 pm
Last Post: Kyuuketsuki