Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 1:53 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bibles in school
Bibles in school
So, just to be clear, I don't have a problem with my peers reading their own personal bibles in class. I don't care about that, as long as they aren't preaching. But today, in my Science[/i] class, my teacher said that at the end of the year, if we had time, we would read Genesis, as a class. Is she actually allowed to do this?
"I trust my own reason and my own capacities to think and educate myself and to reach greater levels of knowlege and status through learning and work. To me, wishing for a god is like wishing to be a slave, it is like declaring that one is too incompetent to handle one's own affairs." - the germans are coming
RE: Bibles in school
It depends on how much pointing and laughing is involved.
I'd raise the biggest fucking stink there ever was. I'd send emails to various secular organizations, emails to the school board... Basically anything I could to stop it. But I'm me, and you're you... By the time I was in high school, I was already singled out as "the weird atheist/witch/devil worshipper girl," I did my utmost to live up to that reputation. But you may not want to be the focus of that kind of attention, and that's perfectly acceptable as well. You could simply ask the teacher to be excused from those classes. Now if the teacher refuses... That's a different matter.
What kind of a school is this?
(May 2, 2013 at 8:28 pm)festive1 Wrote: By the time I was in high school, I was already singled out as "the weird atheist/witch/devil worshipper girl," I did my utmost to live up to that reputation.

I would've totally wanted to bang you back then, but would've felt far to guilty about it thanks to my christianity to even talk to you.

(May 2, 2013 at 8:46 pm)Minimalist Wrote: What kind of a school is this?

Clown college?
[Image: Evolution.png]

Sounds like this teacher needs an intervention.

Get a hold of Zack Kopplin or Secular Student Alliance for assistance.

SSA has lawyers!
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan
Professional Watcher of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report!
It's a public school. Yes. I shit you not
"I trust my own reason and my own capacities to think and educate myself and to reach greater levels of knowlege and status through learning and work. To me, wishing for a god is like wishing to be a slave, it is like declaring that one is too incompetent to handle one's own affairs." - the germans are coming
(May 2, 2013 at 9:06 pm)TromboneAtheist Wrote: It's a public school. Yes. I shit you not

Contact the SSA.

http://www.secularstudents.org/

They can help you put a stop to the teacher.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan
Professional Watcher of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report!
So, this is definitely not ok? I'll see how it goes down, or if she even ends up doing that particular "lesson", and then I'll take what action I see fit.
(May 2, 2013 at 7:11 pm)TromboneAtheist Wrote: So, just to be clear, I don't have a problem with my peers reading their own personal bibles in class. I don't care about that, as long as they aren't preaching. But today, in my Science[/i] class, my teacher said that at the end of the year, if we had time, we would read Genesis, as a class. Is she actually allowed to do this?

Depends upon why it is read. Some state laws require it and real science teachers hang on "IF there is time" which there never is. Wait until the end of the year and see what happens.

Way back before the latest Supreme Court decisions some used Genesis as an exercise in critical thinking meaning sort of like here, if you believe it defend it with science.

So maybe a heads up to the local ACLU is in order but don't lose any sleep over it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Athiest parent sending child to Catholic school EchoEllis 36 5274 December 2, 2021 at 10:24 am
Last Post: brewer
  What should I do if I'm being forced to go to a Christian School? Socratic Meth Head 51 11628 June 10, 2016 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: abaris
  So, my son attends school at the church Easy Guns 44 9009 January 11, 2016 at 6:14 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Daughter objects to prayers at school TubbyTubby 48 7560 July 10, 2015 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Going to a Roman Catholic school and expressing my opinion. piterski123 7 3364 April 28, 2015 at 8:54 pm
Last Post: Iroscato
  Hotel Rooms and Toxic Waste (Bibles, BoM, etc) JesusHChrist 45 11129 October 24, 2014 at 8:04 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Anyone else an atheist while going to a Christian school? KentuckySkeptic224 7 3065 October 16, 2014 at 7:49 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  So my high school teacher is on the front page of the Huffington Post today... Mudhammam 22 5150 July 28, 2014 at 11:26 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Secularism in School Bob Kelso 24 5856 April 4, 2014 at 3:42 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  A new member. A Catholic school teacher. Mr. Moncrieff 105 20915 February 25, 2014 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda