Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does the New Testament contain sexism?
Does the New Testament contain sexism?
There are a number of verses in the New Testament that seem to subjugate women in both their role and status in the Church and in private life. Some of these include the following:
------------------------------------------
“It is well for a man not to touch a woman. But because of the temptation to immorality, each man should have his own wife and each woman her own husband.” 1 Corinthians 7:1-2

“But I want you to understand that the head of every man is Christ, the head of every woman is her husband, and the head of Christ is God…. any woman who prays or prophesies with her head unveiled dishonors her head …For if a woman will not veil herself, then she should cut off her hair …For a man ought not to cover his head; since he is the image and glory of God; but woman is the glory of man. (For man was not made from woman, but woman from man. Neither was man created for woman, but woman for man.)” 1 Corinthians 11:2-10
The text in bold seems to imply ontological inferiority whereas many Christians would argue that women are distinct from men in their roles but not in their equality (though, when a role is continually portrayed as one of lesser authority or prominence, I wonder to what extent insisting on "equal but different" is really of any consequence). A few more:
“Wives, be submissive to your husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, and is himself its Savior. As the church is subject to Christ, so let wives also be subject in everything to their husbands.” Ephesians 5:21-24

“…the women should keep silence in the churches. For they are not permitted to speak, but should be subordinate, as even the law says. If there is anything they desire to know, let them ask their husbands at home. For it is shameful for a woman to speak in church.” 1 Corinthians 14:34-35

“Let a woman learn in silence with all submissiveness. I permit no woman to teach or have authority over men; she is to keep silent. For Adam was formed first, then Eve; and Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor. Yet woman will be saved through bearing children, if she continues in faith and love and holiness, with modesty.” 1 Timothy 2:11-15

“Wives, be subject to your husband, as is fitting in the Lord. Husbands, love your wives, and do not be harsh with them. Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord. Fathers, do not provoke your children, lest they become discouraged. Slaves, obey in everything those who are your earthly masters, not with eyeservice, as men-pleasers, but in singleness of heart, fearing the Lord.” Colossians 3:18-22

“….and so train the young women to love their husbands and children, to be sensible, chaste, domestic, kind, and submissive to their husbands, that the word of God may not be discredited…. Bid slaves to be submissive to their masters and to give satisfaction in every respect…” Titus 2:4-9

“No one could learn that song except the hundred and forty-four thousand who had been redeemed from the earth. It is these who have not defiled themselves with women, for they are chaste…” Revelation 14:3-4
There are, however, also a number of verses that seem to elevate women to a position of equality with men that was unprecedented in the surrounding cultures in which Christianity took shape. Furthermore, women are mentioned in various capacities that would seem to imply prominence in the early Church (Romans 12:1-11), again, contrary to the norms of the surrounding Roman and Jewish cultures:
"There is no longer Jew or Greek, there is no longer slave or free, there is no longer male and female; for all of you are one in Christ Jesus." Galatians 3:28

"Nevertheless, in the Lord woman is not independent of man or man independent of woman. For just as woman came from man, so man comes through woman; but all things come from God." 1 Corinthians 11:11-12
There are more verses that seem to prefer gender equality as well as those which promote women's inferiority; for a more thorough list, see http://www.religioustolerance.org/nfe_bibl.htm

As a secularist, my view is that Christianity indeed deserves credit for giving women a more respected position in the Church than what was typically accepted in their culture. However, some of the above passages are also not tolerable in lieu of modern sensibilities and secular ethics which is able to progress and has done so a great deal since ancient times. In other words, the New Testament, while it contains some of this progression, is not the end-all-be-all of moral instruction that we would expect it to be if it was the infallible word of God. In such case, as we should with any outdated mode of ethics, keep the good, throw out the bad.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
RE: Does the New Testament contain sexism?
The first quote is not sexist in am way. I don't think it was sexist as God gave man and women roles in the household, for instance women give birth because man can't.

(October 10, 2014 at 2:47 pm)C4RM5 Wrote: The first quote is not sexist in am way. I don't think it was sexist as God gave man and women roles in the household, for instance women give birth because man can't.

Deciding someone's role in life based on which private parts they have - that is the definitions of sexism.
So saying women can get pregnant and have babies is sexist?

(October 10, 2014 at 2:57 pm)genkaus Wrote:
(October 10, 2014 at 2:47 pm)C4RM5 Wrote: The first quote is not sexist in am way. I don't think it was sexist as God gave man and women roles in the household, for instance women give birth because man can't.

Deciding someone's role in life based on which private parts they have - that is the definitions of sexism.

You basically said exactly what I was going to say.

C4RM5, sexism isn't limited solely to being negative toward women. Any unnecessarily different treatment would count.
(October 10, 2014 at 3:00 pm)C4RM5 Wrote: So saying women can get pregnant and have babies is sexist?

Saying that their roles are determined because they can get pregnant and have babies is sexist.

Different roles - the man is the boss and the woman is his bitch. Go on then! Git me a sammich!

You may think that C4RM5, but my GF used to be married to a Christian man and he told his daughter once, god loves men more than women. Can you imagine telling your daughter something so awful/stupid/ridiculous? He also expected women to keep quiet and he would make the important decisions. Unfortunately, he wasn't too great in the decision making department.

Where do you suppose he got such ideas?

Oh I know. Jesus!
No, I believe God loves everyone equally there are just assigned roles

So wait it is sexist to say women can get pregnant even thought they can.

(October 10, 2014 at 3:12 pm)C4RM5 Wrote: No, I believe God loves everyone equally there are just assigned roles

So wait it is sexist to say women can get pregnant even thought they can.
No, but it's sexist to say that because your genitals are biologically female your role is to submit to the authority of man in matters private and public.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
Ugggghhhhh

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did Jesus call the Old Testament God the Devil, a Murderer and the Father of Lies? dude1 51 8501 November 6, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Old Testament Prophecy Proof of Jesus Nihilist Virus 45 6293 August 12, 2016 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  The Immorality of God - Slavery in the Old Testament athrock 307 35948 January 31, 2016 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  Richard Dawkins and the God of the Old Testament Randy Carson 69 16818 October 8, 2015 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: orangedude
  The Historical Reliability of the New Testament Randy Carson 706 108279 June 9, 2015 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  The Utter Irrelevance of the New Testament Whateverist 66 10469 May 24, 2015 at 6:59 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Question of the Greek New Testament Rhondazvous 130 22538 May 19, 2015 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Jimmy Carter leaves Southern Baptists to stew in their own sexism. Whateverist 28 5734 April 24, 2015 at 12:56 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  New Testament arguments urlawyer 185 21982 March 24, 2015 at 5:26 pm
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  Jews and the old testament Vivalarevolution 40 6901 October 21, 2014 at 5:55 am
Last Post: Vivalarevolution