Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 10:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another What If Thread: Vampires
Another What If Thread: Vampires
Suppose the traditional blood sucking vampire who can create new vampires exists. It has superhuman strength and is immortal. It can only be killed by beheading, fire, a wooden steak through the heart or sunlight. It is allergic to holy water, crosses, and garlic. It can't enter a home unless invited.

1) So how long do you think it would take humans to kill off all vampires, presuming everyone got the memo and believed in them?

Wooden bullet machine guns, curfews, holy water pump guns, garlic curtains, and flame throwers are all on the table. And anything else you might plausibly invent.

2) Would the effectiveness of holy water and crosses make you rethink the god question? I'm thinking I might really consider it.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
RE: Another What If Thread: Vampires
I saw a shlocky movie once where they snagged vampires with a meat hook attached to a cable and winch, and pulled them outside into the sunlight.

Inventive, but funny too.
(October 23, 2014 at 11:57 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: I saw a shlocky movie once where they snagged vampires with a meat hook attached to a cable and winch, and pulled them outside into the sunlight.

Simpler to just burn the house down. Fire plus sunlight.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(October 23, 2014 at 11:53 pm)Jenny A Wrote: Suppose the traditional blood sucking vampire who can create new vampires exists. It has superhuman strength and is immortal. It can only be killed by beheading, fire, a wooden steak through the heart or sunlight. It is allergic to holy water, crosses, and garlic. It can't enter a home unless invited.

1) So how long do you think it would take humans to kill off all vampires, presuming everyone got the memo and believed in them?

Wooden bullet machine guns, curfews, holy water pump guns, garlic curtains, and flame throwers are all on the table. And anything else you might plausibly invent.

2) Would the effectiveness of holy water and crosses make you rethink the god question? I'm thinking I might really consider it.

given the human response to predators? We would be more unified then ever and probably do it inside the week.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
Really, I prefer the "unclean spirit" slavic Vampir... a lot more interesting than the christianity-heavy iteration vampires. Still, plenty interesting, to a point... Mircalla, Dracula, Alucard... there are some damn fine vampires out there.

I only hope that I can do it justice... not every day you see a half-Jinn Vampir bound to a blade, and later fused with a living human that's currently 'dating' a Sidhe of the Unseelie court. Thinking

Yeah, I got this Smile

(October 24, 2014 at 2:21 am)Lemonvariable72 Wrote: given the human response to predators? We would be more unified then ever and probably do it inside the week.

Shiki would suggest otherwise. We become paranoid... we rip our bonds apart in fear... we desperately fight to kill the monsters...

But we are, ourselves... the monsters.

(October 23, 2014 at 11:53 pm)Jenny A Wrote: 2) Would the effectiveness of holy water and crosses make you rethink the god question? I'm thinking I might really consider it.

It is faith they fear, not the object of the faith. This is why they undermine confidence wherever and whenever it is visited upon them, adopting a derisive and mocking stance in every argument: their dominance must be absolute, else it be irresolute.

If you do not fear, for your faith is absolute, then no vampire can hurt you. Symbols of faith are dangerous only insofar as they show the possibility of faith in what should be their prey... if they do not fear your faith, it is because your faith is inconsequential. Leave your doubts behind you, or perish with them, mortal.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day

That's kinda what I was thinking. To have a plot with vampires, people have to be ridiculously secretive about them. Otherwise, given their vulnerabilities, there wouldn't be vampires long.
(October 23, 2014 at 11:53 pm)Jenny A Wrote: Suppose the traditional blood sucking vampire who can create new vampires exists. It has superhuman strength and is immortal. It can only be killed by beheading, fire, a wooden steak through the heart or sunlight. It is allergic to holy water, crosses, and garlic. It can't enter a home unless invited.

Wooden steak? I know, I'm nitpicking.

(October 23, 2014 at 11:53 pm)Jenny A Wrote: 1) So how long do you think it would take humans to kill off all vampires, presuming everyone got the memo and believed in them?

Hmm. In the scenario you supply, the only way they can be detected is their allergies and inability to enter homes without invitation. The government could certainly systematically sort out the vamps with the sunlight test during the day and the garlic test at night. If, in addition, they don't reflect in mirrors, it would be easy to devise an optical device that shows who doesn't have a reflection. I'm thinking it would be easy to separate the humans from the vamps with a little due diligence, though there would certainly be failures due to human error or vampire trickiness.

(October 23, 2014 at 11:53 pm)Jenny A Wrote: Wooden bullet machine guns, curfews, holy water pump guns, garlic curtains, and flame throwers are all on the table. And anything else you might plausibly invent.

A lot depends on details. If they have to feed every night, they'll have to risk the flamethrowers a lot more often than if they have to feed weekly. Can they survive on bagged blood or do they have to drink from the source? Can they live off of animals? How often can they transform someone into a new vampire?

I think they would be very hard to root out if they can wait a week between feedings yet create a new vampire every night. One vamp could become sixty in a week, while concentrating on avoiding destruction. Half of them could be killed a the end of each week, and there would still be around a thousand after two weeks. It's hard to fight an enemy who can so easily turn your own soldiers and gear against you. If they have powers of mental domination, it would be even worse.

(October 23, 2014 at 11:53 pm)Jenny A Wrote: 2) Would the effectiveness of holy water and crosses make you rethink the god question? I'm thinking I might really consider it.
[/quote]

The uncanny powers and weaknesses of the vampire would be evidence of the supernatural, particularly if only the icons of a particular religion worked on them, even if the vampire was a different religion before they were turned. I would have to have a good think about the implications of that.

(October 24, 2014 at 12:02 am)Jenny A Wrote:
(October 23, 2014 at 11:57 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: I saw a shlocky movie once where they snagged vampires with a meat hook attached to a cable and winch, and pulled them outside into the sunlight.

Simpler to just burn the house down. Fire plus sunlight.

It was John Carpenter's Vampires; based on the book Vampire$. The protagonists were vampire hunters for pay; and looted their lairs, so there was actually a good reason not to burn their houses down.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
Are these the nosferatu or the Edward who sparkles in the sun light vampires?
(October 25, 2014 at 12:17 am)Drich Wrote: Are these the nosferatu or the Edward who sparkles in the sun light vampires?

Edward is bad dream, just not a scary one.

Traditional vampires, thus the sunlight problem.
Even the sparkley vamper's were some what traditional.. Is there vamp/blood supplement avaiable or can they drink animal blood or only human?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Another Gump Thread BrianSoddingBoru4 9 753 May 17, 2019 at 12:25 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Another Gnu Thread BrianSoddingBoru4 3 686 May 15, 2019 at 10:48 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Another Nug Thread BrianSoddingBoru4 4 734 May 15, 2019 at 9:57 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Link us to your intro thread, first post and/or first thread Whateverist 35 4155 October 21, 2018 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  Even another all about you thread. Little lunch 17 835 September 13, 2018 at 12:17 am
Last Post: Seraphina
  (Yet Another) Tell Us About You Thread BrianSoddingBoru4 40 2690 September 12, 2018 at 6:25 am
Last Post: Lucanus
  Take another look at your initial introduction thread to this forum Foxaèr 55 8637 May 17, 2018 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Answering one thread's title with that of another Whateverist 8 959 February 5, 2018 at 12:39 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  It's time for another Rep Whore thread by Joods Joods 40 3844 January 5, 2018 at 11:09 pm
Last Post: Joods
  JFC! Not another rep whoring thread!?! Joods 56 17547 June 14, 2017 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Joods