Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 8:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Antares short flight
Antares short flight
I've been bombarded with this Antares rocket countdown from NASA, for days now...
And then...

Oh, NASA, you so silly!
RE: Antares short flight
Early Guy Fawkes?
Dying to live, living to die.
(October 28, 2014 at 8:16 pm)Beccs Wrote: Early Guy Fawkes?

Early?
Remember, remember, the 5th of November.
(October 28, 2014 at 8:24 pm)Beccs Wrote: Remember, remember, the 5th of November.

Ah.... that Early.... I was thinking... Guy was a few ... centuries ago.
(October 28, 2014 at 8:25 pm)pocaracas Wrote:
(October 28, 2014 at 8:24 pm)Beccs Wrote: Remember, remember, the 5th of November.

Ah.... that Early.... I was thinking... Guy was a few ... centuries ago.

They still celeberate it in england and newfoundland. Mostly an excuse to get drunk around a fire.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
(October 28, 2014 at 8:32 pm)Lemonvariable72 Wrote:
(October 28, 2014 at 8:25 pm)pocaracas Wrote: Ah.... that Early.... I was thinking... Guy was a few ... centuries ago.

They still celeberate it in england and newfoundland. Mostly an excuse to get drunk around a fire.

You say that as though it's a bad thing!

Wink Shades
This is kind of sad. I know no loss of life, but I had been thoroughly enjoying watching United Launch Alliance's (Boeing/Lockheed Martin) launches on their website and looking forward to 2017, when human is again supposed to reach space. But I look at this and can't help but think "There could have been people on that".

A bit worrisome.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
Yeah, this is very sad to see.
What kinda irks me is this paragraph in The Guardian:

"The technology has been ridiculed by commercial rivals but used regularly by Orbital to resupply the ISS in recent years, despite growing criticism in Congress of Nasa’s reliance on commercial partners to maintain a human presence in space."

Hey, Congress, NASA wouldn't have to rely on private companies if you gave them a damn budget to work with. Angry You used to do that, remember?
It looks like shortly after the rocket cleared the tower, the first stage motor exploded and burned. The rocket, without thrust and on fire, then fell backwards onto the launch pad and exploded on impact.

This is normally where one would point out the fact that Antares actually uses 50 year old NK-33 rocket motors manufactured by the Soviet Union in the 1960s for her own aborted lunar landing program, Held in storage after the program's cancellation, and finally purchased and refurbished by Aerojet in California, and snicker at the wisdom of using allegedly crappy cast off soviet made junk.