Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 1:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Persuasive speech help
Persuasive speech help
I have to give a 10 minute persuasive speech in my public speaking class and I'd like some help on my topic. We were given free range when picking our topic, so naturally I picked why a person shouldn't be religious. I'm trying to be as cautious as I can and avoid presenting arguments that are subject to fallacies, as that is a focal point in our class. I live in the bible belt, so I'm going to be talking about a subject that will likely offend the majority of my classmates. To put it into perspective, a girl in my class said that she would rather vote for a person that is Hindu than a person that is atheist, because the Hindu person would likely have at least some morals. What would be some good arguments/focal points for my presentation? Also, the topic can be narrowed down if need be. I've considered narrowing my focus to why a person shouldn't be christian, as that would be more relevant to my audience. There is also a chance for my classmates to refute my arguments after the speech, so I have to be prepared to defend my arguments.

Thanks in advance!
RE: Persuasive speech help
Rather than shouldn't, I'd approach "needn't" be. Our world and our needs are the same whether we are religious or not.
(November 4, 2014 at 1:10 pm)TreeSapNest Wrote: Rather than shouldn't, I'd approach "needn't" be. Our world and our needs are the same whether we are religious or not.

I agree, dont tell people what they should and should not do, it repels them. Just look at the christians postings on this site for an example. Explain to them why it makes sense to NOT believe in the story book or the Loving/Mad/Jealous/Omnipotent/Free will loving/Sending everyone to hell for no reason person in the sky.

There are a lot of people much smarter than me that will give you scientific reasons, just thought I would suggest using honey to attract them!
Philo,
You might pick a topic which is a little easier to prove.
People like myself see atheists with no foundation for morality other than, "If it feels good- do it."
Or, "Don't get caught."
Well fuck you too prof.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
-Persuasive- speech, Proff. He doesn't have to uncover any mystery of the cosmos - he doesn't actually have to possess any special knowledge or proof. You should know all about that.......Wink Shades
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I'm not sure that's a topic I would choose unless you are already a known atheist. Think the consequences through first.

If you must stick to your topic consider starting with why Hinduism isn't persuasive and move along through other less controversial religions (in the Bible Belt anyway) before applying the same techniques to Christianity.

Or, better yet, because there's a fair amount of data out there, you might simply argue that atheists are generally good citizens, parents, students, etc. --- an anti-atheist discrimination speech.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
Persuasion isn't so much about content as it is about charisma, and the ability to manipulate human psychology.

Seriously, sales pitch them. 'Give some bitch a cannon. Bitches *love* cannons.' Oh, and above all? Have a good time Smile Relax!
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(November 4, 2014 at 2:18 pm)professor Wrote: Philo,
You might pick a topic which is a little easier to prove.
People like myself see atheists with no foundation for morality other than, "If it feels good- do it."
Or, "Don't get caught."
Just because I don't believe there is a guy up there with a whip to A) teach me a lesson B) discipline me C) let the satan mess with me does not mean I dont have morals. Take a sociology class...morals generally are formed by society...last I checked atheists are in society too, you don't corner that market.
(November 4, 2014 at 2:18 pm)professor Wrote: People like myself see atheists with no foundation for morality other than, "If it feels good- do it." Or, "Don't get caught."
Case and point.

People needn't be religious because people still want a good world in which to live. Even people who don't believe in right and wrong.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ayaan's recent Yale speech...cant find it. Brian37 7 2382 September 19, 2014 at 7:51 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Freedom of Speech in the UK Gooders1002 9 3174 March 28, 2013 at 11:11 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Use of religious language in every day speech rubikscube 24 6920 January 20, 2012 at 3:00 am
Last Post: Blam!
  Food for The Eagle - Adam Savage speech leo-rcc 3 2669 April 20, 2010 at 2:07 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  Obama covers up religious symbol for speech moodydaniel 0 1604 April 17, 2009 at 5:14 am
Last Post: moodydaniel