Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:53 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What actually is Islamophobia?
What actually is Islamophobia?
by definition it means a fear of Islam, but it's increasingly used to suggest a hatred or intolerance of Islam, but could it be a defensive tool used by islam in order to lessen the validity of its critics?
RE: What actually is Islamophobia?
(November 8, 2014 at 6:15 pm)lifesagift Wrote: by definition it means a fear of Islam, but it's increasingly used to suggest a hatred or intolerance of Islam, but could it be a defensive tool used by islam in order to lessen the validity of its critics?

Both, not either or.

There are people who are bigots who cannot separate people like Malala or Muslim Congressman Kieth Ellison from the likes of those from the east who migrate to the west and spout hate and threats of word domination.

But then there are liberal Christians and liberal Muslims or even liberal atheists who use the term Islamophobia to unwittingly shut down criticism of bad ideas and bad behaviors and hide behind the idea of protecting multiculturalism.
I define it as when you learn that someone is Muslim you worry if they're going to blow you up.

There's a couple of them here. They're busy patting themselves on the back for being rational folk, right now.

(November 8, 2014 at 7:12 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: I define it as when you learn that someone is Muslim you worry if they're going to blow you up.

There's a couple of them here. They're busy patting themselves on the back for being rational folk, right now.

Really? you're suggesting an islamophobe is someone who is rude and generalises around true fears of extreme muslim fundamentalists?

So why didn't you say that?
It means fear of Islam. That's it. Hatred and intolerance are just manifestations of that fear.
(November 8, 2014 at 7:21 pm)Lao Shizi Wrote: It means fear of Islam. That's it. Hatred and intolerance are just manifestations of that fear.

Rubbish !!

I fear heights, but I don't hate the notion of height !

And it's possible that some muslims are using islamophobia to promote there cause..
Don't know much about human nature, do you? Instead of heights, try something like, oh, I don't know, Communism.
(November 8, 2014 at 7:20 pm)lifesagift Wrote: Really? you're suggesting an islamophobe is someone who is rude [...]

No. I'm a rude motherfucker myself, when the time is right.

(November 8, 2014 at 7:20 pm)lifesagift Wrote: [...] and generalises around true fears of extreme muslim fundamentalists?

No, because generalizing "extreme Muslim fundamentalists" to all Muslims is not only sloppy thinking unbecoming a self-proclaimed rationalist -- I'm looking at you, Minimalist -- it's also bigotry, rather than "true fears".

Don't like it? Tough shit.

(November 8, 2014 at 7:20 pm)lifesagift Wrote: So why didn't you say that?

Pretty sure I did, for them as have a brain. Present company seems to have excused itself.

(November 8, 2014 at 8:00 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote:
(November 8, 2014 at 7:20 pm)lifesagift Wrote: Really? you're suggesting an islamophobe is someone who is rude [...]

No. I'm a rude motherfucker myself, when the time is right.

(November 8, 2014 at 7:20 pm)lifesagift Wrote: [...] and generalises around true fears of extreme muslim fundamentalists?

No, because generalizing "extreme Muslim fundamentalists" to all Muslims is not only sloppy thinking unbecoming a self-proclaimed rationalist -- I'm looking at you, Minimalist -- it's also bigotry, rather than "true fears".

Don't like it? Tough shit.

(November 8, 2014 at 7:20 pm)lifesagift Wrote: So why didn't you say that?

Pretty sure I did, for them as have a brain. Present company seems to have excused itself.
Rude, but you're allowed to be of course... And most of what you've ranted about I didn't say...

For example I have a brain, but your school playground attempt at an insult is pathetic!
Islamophobia is a made up expression used to describe rational fear and disapproval of Islam. It's a tool used by muslim activists to silence the rights of non muslims.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pork Is Actually Halal...Sort Of....Maybe? ReptilianPeon 8 3335 March 7, 2015 at 8:57 am
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
Question Is Islamophobia Justified? Mental Outlaw 43 17939 January 12, 2015 at 8:03 am
Last Post: ManMachine