Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:42 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Islamophobia Justified?
Question 
Is Islamophobia Justified?
I pretty much just want to get your opinions here, I think its completely rational to be islamophobic, although I myself am not Islamophobic. Islam is a religion started by a barbaric war monger known as Mohammad. Islam says in the Quran to kill or convert non believers. Muslims worship a god who says that he will punish people in hellfire for not believing in him, being gay, eating pork etc... Many Muslims themselves kill people for not believing in their bullshit, of course not all Muslims do this, however the terrorist that do are able to cite excerpts from the Quran to justify their actions. Islam is a misogynist religion, and thats not even by extreme feminist standards either. And to top it all off Islam is built on one of the principles that it must spread to all corners of the earth and convert every living human to Islam, which is probably one of the reasons Muslims tend to be more zealous than Christians. Because of these things it is completely reasonable to fear Islam and therefore its not a phobia, its just a rational fear, such as fear of Nazi's fear of serial killers, fear of high taxes, etc...
RE: Is Islamophobia Justified?
I'm a bit opposite. I think being Islamophobic is a irrational and certainly unfair to the vast majority of Muslims who would never consider terrorism or murder as being endorsed by their religion. Most of the people I love most in the world are Christians of one sect or another, and I would never consider regarding them a danger to anyone based on the murderous activities of Christianity, both past and present.

And yet, every time I read of another atrocity committed by some group claiming Islam as its justification for their actions, it is hard to keep from dumping Islam into the same category I used to reserve for just Nazi Germany and N. Korea. It is hard for me not to think of Islam as a completely degenerate world view without a single redeeming feature; one that the world would be much better off without.
Quote: Muslims worship a god who says that he will punish people in hellfire for not believing in him, being gay, eating pork etc.

So do the jesus freaks and the jews.

Oh wait. I can't stand those fuckers either.
Hold on. Let's start at the beginning, with the word 'islamophobia'. This is part of a class of words associated with bigotry and discrimination, but for some reason (!) the English language can't find a systematic way of creating words of this type, so we get such nonsense as 'Islamophobia' which is actually a back construction based on 'homophobia'. It's a little linguistic trick, whereby 'Islam' gets lumped in with us friendly homos as something you're not supposed to hate - but Islam and homos get along like a house on fire, so we can't have that. Anti-Islamic works fine, nice and concise.

BTW, it's pro-abortion and anti-abortion. And McSpeak is the devil.
My book, a setting for fantasy role playing games based on Bantu mythology: Ubantu
Islamaphobia would imply that you're irrationally afraid of someone for identifying with Islam. That's an unnuanced and, yuk yuk, irrational position to take.

Most Christians and Muslims don't go out bombing others.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
If you live in Mosul, then Isilphobia would be justified. Other than that, not so much. I live in LA, and there's a mosque down the street. I don't sneak by it, or run really fast or anything. Haven't heard any gunfire, ( well, from the mosque anyway), or any IED's going off so......
Being the anal little twat I am, I have to analyse the word. A phobia is an irrational fear of something that poses little or no actual threat. Put like that, I'm not islamaphobic. I am shit scared of islam as a whole, but rationally so. I fear it's going to cause a world war.

I guess the word is more commonly associated with unwarranted prejudice. I'd say I am not prejudiced against someone just because they are islam, any more than I dislike the fact that anyone publically displaying religious beliefs validates the whole stupid idea of faith. I am prejudiced against the radicals, but I recognize this is a subgroup of Islam.

I hate Islam, I hate all religions. They are holding us back and bring about lots of harm, some in obvious ways and some in deviously subtle ways.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Quote:the word 'islamophobia'. This is part of a class of words associated with bigotry and discrimination, but for some reason (!) the English language can't find a systematic way of creating words of this type,

Quote:The word phobia comes from the Greek: φόβος (phóbos), meaning "aversion", "fear", or "morbid fear".

They don't go out of their way to make themselves loveable...not that any other religious fuckwits do.
I do also have a certain distaste for anyone who worships a God that they think will torture me forever just for using my brain.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
There's a guy who's kid trains at my dojo. I've talked to him quite a bit, and other than the fact that he's REALLY into guns, he seemed pretty normal. One day, a Muslim guy brought his kids, 2 boys, in for a lesson. The guy I've been referring to makes a weird face at me, so I ask him what's up. He starts going on about Muslims infiltrating the country, and that they're all terrorists, slowly taking over everything.

I don't talk to him anymore.

THAT"S Islamophobia.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What actually is Islamophobia? lifesagift 19 3835 November 10, 2014 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Pitsligo