Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 25, 2024, 4:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The world united...
The world united...
I would love if we could start making baby steps towards a peaceful Earth... and I'm intrigued as to how this might be possible.. sanctions against Putin and Kim Jong-Un for example would not make much impact long term..

And then there's Islam... how the hell are we going to get millions of people to stop killing, torturing, abusing and enslaving other humans in the 21st century of our Lor.....ffs in the 201 thousandth century of evolution?

Does the UN need to start creating a new document/convention of peace?

For example, is Islam peaceful...? that's the wrong question.... it can be both...
RE: The world united...
If you want peace and harmony kill off all of your enemies and potential enemies before they kill off you. It's Biblical.
(November 15, 2014 at 6:38 pm)lifesagift Wrote: I would love if we could start making baby steps towards a peaceful Earth... and I'm intrigued as to how this might be possible.. sanctions against Putin and Kim Jong-Un for example would not make much impact long term..

And then there's Islam... how the hell are we going to get millions of people to stop killing, torturing, abusing and enslaving other humans in the 21st century of our Lor.....ffs in the 201 thousandth century of evolution?

Does the UN need to start creating a new document/convention of peace?

For example, is Islam peaceful...? that's the wrong question.... it can be both...

People want there own bit of the world. You should see how the scots are belly aching at the moment.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

You'd probably get more traction if you bred it out of us (rather than wrote up documents...how are those documents working atm....?). Good luck, however you go with it.

-as some additional info which may help to bring some light here - specifically in the case of islam (or any religion/social structure). The exportation of violence to "the outside" or "the other" serves an important social function. It minimizes internal tension and conflict, providing an acceptable outlet for our destructive energies (sometimes a desired outlet...think of all of the honor and respect military service grants seemingly by default). One of my favorite examples of this is that even in what we might see as incredibly peaceful cultures, at least ideologically - such as NE Native American tribes (wherein gifting was the highest "moral good" and killing the lowest "moral evil")- without the potential for violence and conflict an important mechanism for social advancement and identity is removed. So maybe providing some other outlet would nudge us in the direction you want to see us go?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I'm skeptical of man's ability to peacefully coexist so long as greed and the urge for power exist.

The best way to unite is to have a common goal, and since the best trigger for any of our actions is our need to survive, humankind can probably only unite when we have a common enemy putting our survival in danger. So if a disease, a natural disaster, islam or another religion fulfills that role and becomes a global threat, the world just might be able to unite together.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(November 16, 2014 at 12:18 pm)Aoi Magi Wrote: The best way to unite is to have a common goal, and since the best trigger for any of our actions is our need to survive, humankind can probably only unite when we have a common enemy putting our survival in danger. So if a disease, a natural disaster, islam or another religion fulfills that role and becomes a global threat, the world just might be able to unite together.

Talking Islam, their 'peaceful' expeditionary force already has a good foothold in the West, and, although they're not causing a great deal of trouble (apart from a few beheadings, a few hundred thousand child rapes etc), their presence will make it harder to criticise, or act against their more radical brothers in the Middle East...

Plus we have no flag with which to unite under... the medieval Islamic army called IS has a fragmented, directionless enemy, made safe only by a bit of water..
Developing technology that would eliminate our need for finite resources.

The main issue as I see it is that supply in all things is finite but demand is unlimited (theoretically). So we need to even the curves.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
(November 16, 2014 at 3:53 pm)Fidel_Castronaut Wrote: Developing technology that would eliminate our need for finite resources.

The main issue as I see it is that supply in all things is finite but demand is unlimited (theoretically). So we need to even the curves.

Surely that's solvable in the future with a small nuclear engine which could power a car for a year on a cup of water.. no more oil needed.
Meh, it would shift conflict to the next point of scarcity and contention. We'd be fighting over cups of water (hell, it's happened before).
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  United Arab Emirates wants to go to space but... ReptilianPeon 15 3944 May 12, 2015 at 5:26 pm
Last Post: Prince