Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 2:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Get rid of sports
Get rid of sports
I can't think of a more wasteful, pointless, and idiotic activity as sports. Billions of dollars spent every year. Money that could be spent to help the poor. Stadiums, leagues, and sports equipment corporations.

I always saw sports as a form of gambling, but they have transformed into the best job an inner city black kid can get. As a way for those who literally cannot read to get into college. For what? Is it so nations can compete and say proudly their nation is the best at skiing?

Why do you adore sports and competitiveness so much? Are you an athelete if so why? Why do you think its appropriate, too waste billions teaching kids how too play basketball?
RE: Get rid of sports
Is this a troll?
(November 18, 2014 at 10:10 am)simplemoss Wrote: I can't think of a more wasteful, pointless, and idiotic activity as sports. Billions of dollars spent every year. Money that could be spent to help the poor. Stadiums, leagues, and sports equipment corporations.

I always saw sports as a form of gambling, but they have transformed into the best job an inner city black kid can get. As a way for those who literally cannot read to get into college. For what? Is it so nations can compete and say proudly their nation is the best at skiing?

Why do you adore sports and competitiveness so much? Are you an athelete if so why? Why do you think its appropriate, too waste billions teaching kids how too play basketball?

Yeah, sports is a colossal waste of time IMO, but a lot of people need sports to get them through the day.
Sports are a very important pass time. Both as exercise and entertainment. People play sports because they see them on tv and want to give them a go. Without sports we would all be fat, lazy and extremely unhealthy.
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
Sports have many benefits - at the professional level they provide entertainment and a social setting for the viewers. And at other levels it encourages fitness, healthy competitiveness, teamwork, again a social activity ...
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
(November 18, 2014 at 10:10 am)simplemoss Wrote: I can't think of a more wasteful, pointless, and idiotic activity as sports. Billions of dollars spent every year. Money that could be spent to help the poor. Stadiums, leagues, and sports equipment corporations.

How many inner city kids go on to compete internationally in skiing?

Why do you suppose it is a waste of time to teach kids to do what they evidently enjoy doing?

If you disapprove, but participant enjoy it, it is a waste of money, and if you approve, but participants hate it, it is not a waste of money?
I find it extremely hard to believe that the OP doesn't enjoy any sports of any kind.

Guy must look like Jabba the fuckin' Hutt.

So you want to get rid or organized competition? How about video games? How many billions of dollars are wasted on PS4s and building ridiculous gaming rigs so people can play WOW for 22 hours a day? How about TV shows/movies? How many billions of dollars are spent on visual entertainment that could be helping the poor? Why would we ever spend money to entertain ourselves when there are poor and needy people who could use that money even more? Where do you stop? I don't need to buy expensive high-grav beer from my local liquor store. Am I immoral for not donating that money to charity?

Could it be that maybe entertainment is a critical need we have as social animals? Could it be that entertainment brings people together and provides diversion from our everyday lives, which allows us to cope with our jobs and our troubles, which allows us to be more productive and possibly make more money so we can do both of those things? (Entertain ourselves and give back to society?)

ETA: to take a note from Cato, I too love sports and own a PS4 and love TV/movies.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Let's see if this makes anymore sense. My changes should be obvious.

Quote:I can't think of a more wasteful, pointless, and idiotic activity as music. Billions of dollars spent every year. Money that could be spent to help the poor. Concert venues, record labels, and instrument manufacturers.

I always saw music as a form of work avoidance, but they have transformed into the best job an inner city black kid can get. As a way for those who literally cannot read to skip college and get rich and famous. For what? Is it so nations can compete and say proudly their nation is the best at yodeling?

Why do you adore music and composition so much? Are you a musician if so why? Why do you think its appropriate, too waste billions teaching kids how too play the clarinet?

For the record, I love sports and music. Just my attempt to demonstrate the absurdity of the OP.
(November 18, 2014 at 10:51 am)Napoléon Wrote: I find it extremely hard to believe that the OP doesn't enjoy any sports of any kind.

Guy must look like Jabba the fuckin' Hutt.

I think trying to be polemical on an anonymous website is what passes for a sport for him.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lets get rid of primary elections when electing our president GODZILLA 79 8800 July 2, 2018 at 7:46 pm
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  Well FOX Will Have To Get Rid Of This Guy Minimalist 14 1875 May 5, 2018 at 2:47 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Saudi Arabia to legalise sports clubs for women Something completely different 1 992 March 30, 2013 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: Joel