Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Avoid android 5 update!
Avoid android 5 update!
Just a warning to users of android phones and tablets, avoid updating to version 5. (at least for now)
I updated my nexus 7 a few days ago and it turned from a useful piece of equipment into a pile of junk! Others have had similar problems
http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/573614/20...llipop.htm
Apps crash on starting, I can't download anything new because the app store crashes!
I tried a factory reset, this removed everything, but now I can't get things back Devil
I hope Google issue a fix, but wonder, if they do, will I be able to download and install it?
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

RE: Avoid android 5 update!
I have to agree - I let it upgrade my Nexus 5 (a fucking Google flagship product) from 4.4 to 5.0 several days ago. While I haven't experienced the same problems zebo has, I have had a lot of screen tearing, and when idle, the battery drains fast.

Can I roll it back? Noooooooo......

Wait for at least the first update.
Every time I update android the battery drains fast for a few days but clears back up.
My Droid Razr hasn't 'liked' any software upgrade.

And it's really annoying everyone of them has blown away my customized spelling corrections. New phone in January, it won't be Droid anything, and it might not even be a 'smart' phone.

I just want a phone and texting capabilities.
I got a windoze phone a few months ago as my "work phone" (no choice, I get whatever the IT geeks decide) I didn't want to like it.... but I do!
It works well, good battery life, links to our exchange server for email. the only problem is when using the on screen keyboard it is too easy to touch the button for bing search, not what I want in the middle of an email, no way I can see to disable it.
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(November 22, 2014 at 2:56 pm)zebo-the-fat Wrote: Just a warning to users of android phones and tablets, avoid updating to version 5. (at least for now)
I updated my nexus 7 a few days ago and it turned from a useful piece of equipment into a pile of junk! Others have had similar problems
Apps crash on starting, I can't download anything new because the app store crashes!
I tried a factory reset, this removed everything, but now I can't get things back Devil
I hope Google issue a fix, but wonder, if they do, will I be able to download and install it?

Thanks for this. My son has a Nexus 7 I shall pass this along.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(November 23, 2014 at 1:10 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote:
(November 22, 2014 at 2:56 pm)zebo-the-fat Wrote: Just a warning to users of android phones and tablets, avoid updating to version 5. (at least for now)

Thanks for this. My son has a Nexus 7 I shall pass this along.

My Nexus 7 updated with no issues, but I'm using Apex Launcher & not the default.
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
Has anyone with a windows 8.1 phone installed the new update?
After the android fiasco I am a bit nervous.

Yeah, good luck with THAT, DBP.
(November 24, 2014 at 2:18 pm)LastPoet Wrote: Yeah, good luck with THAT, DBP.

Ok now I'm really worried.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Avoid cryptocurrencies neil 13 654 March 4, 2024 at 9:18 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Why isn't Android more serious contender to Windows? Fake Messiah 8 891 June 20, 2019 at 6:21 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Question about Android rado84 17 1924 August 24, 2017 at 1:24 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Android bug fear in 900 million phones account_inactive 0 606 August 8, 2016 at 6:31 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  Music caching for Android RozKek 13 2251 May 10, 2016 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: RozKek
  rooted my android to install modded spotify Marsellus Wallace 11 2498 April 10, 2016 at 8:45 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Anyone into Android programming? emjay 97 18329 September 20, 2015 at 6:50 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Windows 8 update: Touchscreen mode without touchscreen Metis 7 1782 June 25, 2015 at 12:05 am
Last Post: Ravenshire
  My android app on google play ! Back up your contacts to Email WinterHold 6 2122 January 4, 2015 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: fr0d0
  Android tablets Jackalope 8 3695 September 21, 2012 at 6:52 pm
Last Post: Tino