Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 9:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The workings of woo
The workings of woo
There are times that I have witnessed the wonderful ways of woo. Of course there are some explanations like confirmation bias, coincidence, hallucinations, hoaxes, etc.

What would be the definition of woo if it existed?
How can woo exist and elude scientific investigation?

I don't understand physics, but sometimes I think about those questions. Does anybody have any ideas?
RE: The workings of woo
[Image: large_woZKqR2UwulFQKvuyfZv1w2ZmNK.jpg]
(December 9, 2014 at 10:57 am)watchamadoodle Wrote: There are times that I have witnessed the wonderful ways of woo. Of course there are some explanations like confirmation bias, coincidence, hallucinations, hoaxes, etc.

What would be the definition of woo if it existed?
How can woo exist and elude scientific investigation?

I don't understand physics, but sometimes I think about those questions. Does anybody have any ideas?

Difficult... Usually I'd say woo is by definition something which does not really exist, but is merely an artefact of our partial ignorance,imperfect perception and lack of critical thinking.

The supernatural is a related problem: I'd say if there is something supernatural consistently going on, it is basically just a newly discovered part of nature, and thus not supernatural any more. If such a thing is however so complex that it seems to elude rational analysis from our side, it could have the same effect as woo even though one would formally - as with any actual phenomenon affecting our world - include it in the definition of the natural world after it is discovered.

An example of what I roughly mean is given in the novel SOLARIS, where the sentient ocean is a perfectly natural materialistic object, but in its intellect and complexity so unfathomable that mankind fails in grasping it, possibly forever.

An opposite example is radio waves: they fulfill the criteria of a supernatural phenomenon as seen by mankind a few hundred years ago, yet it was both included into our understanding of nature after the discovery and proved to be simple enough to be described and understood by us.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Couldn't have put it better.

I'd also say it's projecting what you want to be true.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(December 9, 2014 at 11:40 am)robvalue Wrote: Couldn't have put it better.

I'd also say it's projecting what you want to be true.

I'd say it's half a euphemism for a vagina... of which there appear to be many.

Woo-woo, Froo-froo (fru-fru), Hoo-hoo, Front-bum (UK), Apricot, Mini, Penny, mapatazi, muff, growler, down-beard, velvet (as in tipping), Jack 'n' Danny (Rhyming slang)... and so on.

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
So...

If you are involved in woo, you're a bit of a twat?
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
(December 9, 2014 at 11:51 am)robvalue Wrote: So...

If you are involved in woo, you're a bit of a twat?

See how the Universe naturally comes together...

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
I think that was the best one-two punch joke I've ever been a part of Big Grin Nice follow up too. A real alley oop dunkatron.

Index of my best videos
(December 9, 2014 at 11:24 am)Alex K Wrote: Difficult... Usually I'd say woo is by definition something which does not really exist, but is merely an artefact of our partial ignorance,imperfect perception and lack of critical thinking.

The supernatural is a related problem: I'd say if there is something supernatural consistently going on, it is basically just a newly discovered part of nature, and thus not supernatural any more. If such a thing is however so complex that it seems to elude rational analysis from our side, it could have the same effect as woo even though one would formally - as with any actual phenomenon affecting our world - include it in the definition of the natural world after it is discovered.

An example of what I roughly mean is given in the novel SOLARIS, where the sentient ocean is a perfectly natural materialistic object, but in its intellect and complexity so unfathomable that mankind fails in grasping it, possibly forever.

An opposite example is radio waves: they fulfill the criteria of a supernatural phenomenon as seen by mankind a few hundred years ago, yet it was both included into our understanding of nature after the discovery and proved to be simple enough to be described and understood by us.

Imagine if the universe is a computer simulation that can receive input from the computer operators. Could you say the computer simulation is the natural world and the computer operators are the supernatural world? What would that look like from the perspective of an artificial scientist inside the computer simulation? Would these inputs look like observations collapsing probability waves in QM or something? (Like I mentioned I don't understand QM. Don't be too hard on me. Smile )

Maybe a different form of the same question: in Cartesian dualism, some speculated that the pineal gland was the interface that allowed a soul to pilot the body. I guess my definition of woo is based on the dualism of religions like Christianity. Does physics have anything that could provide the inferface between supernatural and natural?

There are also issues like free will, determinism, causality, etc. Maybe some of those concepts would help define woo?

The examples you mentioned like the sentient ocean is only woo from the perspective of humans. Another sentient ocean would not consider it woo. I'm trying to imagine the true woo. Wink
The best thing I could think of in known physics that could provide an interface to some deeper controlling level of reality, if you will, would be the randomness of quantum measurements. They look uncorrelated and truly random in all experiments, but a god-like being could use them to subtly influence the way of the world without violating the physical laws themselves. I think this was the favourite hypothesis of people like ken miller, who is a catholic evolutionary biologist who played an important role fighting ID in Kitzmiller vs. Dover
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Science - as woo as you want little_monkey 1 792 June 2, 2013 at 11:46 pm
Last Post: Dragonetti