Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 5:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Abbey Road crossing webcam.
Abbey Road crossing webcam.
The live-feed camera trained on the zebra crossing outside Abbey Road Recording Studios in London, made famous by The Beatles. Watch dumb-ass tourists risk their lives with the London traffic trying to capture that replica 'Album Cover' shot. It's often fun and occasionally hilarious.

Abbey Road Crossing Cam

MM

And what happens when it goes wrong... (the accident victim fully recovered)

"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
RE: Abbey Road crossing webcam.
Was it a hit and run? The van that hit her left the scene but maybe it just pulled over. At least other people stopped to help her.

Right before the woman runs into the crosswalk, another group used it safely. Why didn't the victim wait? She could have still recreated the Abbey Road crossing and been safe if she had just waited a few minutes.
(December 10, 2014 at 8:36 am)Nope Wrote: Was it a hit and run? The van that hit her left the scene but maybe it just pulled over. At least other people stopped to help her.

Right before the woman runs into the crosswalk, another group used it safely. Why didn't the victim wait? She could have still recreated the Abbey Road crossing and been safe if she had just waited a few minutes.

The car stopped just out of camera shot.

"Despite many thinking the driver of the vehicle fled the scene, according to staff at the recording studio, they pulled over to help." - Liverpool Echo

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
She got some impressive air there.

But seriously, you're entering a zone where big metal boxes are coming at you at (near) fatal speeds. Maybe take a look around first, love.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
I've never seen that walkway 'live' before. That looks like it's a pretty major intersection.
Has it always been like that, or is it like some streets around here that 40+ years ago was fairly quiet but got used more and more with urban sprawl?

And second question.... the zig-zagging lane lines, are those to accommodate the drunk drivers? Tongue
(December 10, 2014 at 10:15 am)LostLocke Wrote: I've never seen that walkway 'live' before. That looks like it's a pretty major intersection.
Has it always been like that, or is it like some streets around here that 40+ years ago was fairly quiet but got used more and more with urban sprawl?

And second question.... the zig-zagging lane lines, are those to accommodate the drunk drivers? Tongue

The camera is actually looking at the crossing from the other side, the picture for the famous album cover was taken with the photographer atop a step ladder next to the memorial (more or less centre of the image) looking back down Abbey Road towards the position of where the webcam is now. As you look at it in the webcam view the Beatles would have seen walking from right to left.

Here a brilliant montage of outtake photos, you can see one where they are lined up waiting to cross back (opposite to the album cover) stood in front of the low wall you can still see in the camera view. You can also see a photograph with traffic waiting for them to cross so yes, it's always been fairly busy.

Abbey Road Outtake Photographs

The zigzag lines mark out a prohibition zone where drivers can't stop or park at the side of the road, that's so pedestrians can clearly see vehicles coming down the road.

MM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Road trip playlist - looking for suggestions Jackalope 20 1295 August 11, 2021 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Crossing into Canada EgoDeath 5 578 November 22, 2019 at 10:00 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Road Rules and jerks..... Brian37 72 5100 March 5, 2019 at 8:31 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  TRJF's 4,000-Mile Road Trip!!! TheRealJoeFish 28 3160 September 16, 2016 at 1:13 am
Last Post: c172
  The stuff you find on the side of the road... Socratic Meth Head 17 2261 June 3, 2016 at 8:21 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain