Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 2:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TRJF's 4,000-Mile Road Trip!!!
TRJF's 4,000-Mile Road Trip!!!
Hey everyone! Today is the first day of my 28-day, 4,000-mile road trip through the eastern third of the United States!!! I figured I'd start a thread to serve as a bit of a travelogue and give me a spot to post pictures of the different places I've been and things I've seen!!!

So, here's the trip:
Day 1: Pittsburgh, PA
Day 2: Charleston, WV
Day 3: Cincinnati, OH
Day 4: Louisville, KY
Day 5: Indianapolis, IN
Days 6-7: Chicago, IL
Day 8: St. Louis, MO
Days 9-16: Memphis, TN
Days 17-18: Natchez, MS
Days 19-20: New Orleans, LA
Day 21: Pensacola, FL
Days 22-24: Jacksonville, FL
Day 25: Savannah, GA
Day 26: Columbia, SC
Day 27: Greensboro, NC
Day 28: Washington, DC

At every new stop, I'll post some pictures and musings, so, if that's the kind of thing you'd find enjoyable, check back here over the next 4 weeks!

A few notes on the trip:

I plan on going to three MLB games: Cardinals @ Reds, Tigers @ White Sox, and Brewers @ Cardinals!
My brother lives just outside of Memphis, and I haven't gotten to him in the 2.5 years he's been down there, so that's why I'm staying in (the suburbs of) Memphis for a week!
In addition to my brother, I have friends I'm staying with in Natchez, New Orleans, Jacksonville and Columbia!
Amazingly, the longest single drive of my trip is the only one within a state: Pensacola to Jacksonville!

I'll post my Pittsburgh page soon!
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
RE: TRJF's 4,000-Mile Road Trip!!!

Starting at my family home in central PA, I drove about 200 miles west to Pittsburgh! One of the few cities on my trip I've been to before, I took a leisurely stroll around the city, met my brother (who's going to college in the city), and went to the Andy Warhol museum (Andrew Warhola was born in Pittsburgh in 1928).

Here's some pictures:

Let me know if this is a good format!

Unfortunately, the Pirates were off today, or I'd have surely gone to a game. I'm in the hotel now, may go for a drink later, but tonight is going to have a lot of relaxing and planning for the next three days. I've never been to Charleston, Cincinnati or Louisville, and want to experience as much as I can!!!

Check back later for more fun stuffs!

Good stuff, TRJF.
Looking forward to the next instalment.
Yes, that building does kick arse. :-)
Cool, a road trip, you're so lucky!

My favorite part of traveling is encountering unexpected mini-stories and people-watching. And the food of course. So tell us some anecdotes about the people and places you see.

Have fun!
Great pics.
(September 1, 2016 at 6:06 pm)TheRealJoeFish Wrote: Hey everyone! Today is the first day of my 28-day, 4,000-mile road trip through the eastern third of the United States!!! I figured I'd start a thread to serve as a bit of a travelogue and give me a spot to post pictures of the different places I've been and things I've seen!!!

So, here's the trip:
Day 2: Charleston, WV
Day 3: Cincinnati, OH
Day 4: Louisville, KY
Day 5: Indianapolis, IN
Days 6-7: Chicago, IL
Day 8: St. Louis, MO
Days 9-16: Memphis, TN
Days 17-18: Natchez, MS
Days 19-20: New Orleans, LA
Day 21: Pensacola, FL
Days 22-24: Jacksonville, FL
Day 25: Savannah, GA
Day 26: Columbia, SC
Day 27: Greensboro, NC
Day 28: Washington, DC

At every new stop, I'll post some pictures and musings, so, if that's the kind of thing you'd find enjoyable, check back here over the next 4 weeks!

A few notes on the trip:

I plan on going to three MLB games: Cardinals @ Reds, Tigers @ White Sox, and Brewers @ Cardinals!
My brother lives just outside of Memphis, and I haven't gotten to him in the 2.5 years he's been down there, so that's why I'm staying in (the suburbs of) Memphis for a week!
In addition to my brother, I have friends I'm staying with in Natchez, New Orleans, Jacksonville and Columbia!
Amazingly, the longest single drive of my trip is the only one within a state: Pensacola to Jacksonville!

I'll post my Pittsburgh page soon!

That sounds extremely exhausting. I flew to Japan once back in 2000, that wiped me out. You really must love driving, I hate driving. But, everyone is different so enjoy it.
(September 1, 2016 at 9:55 pm)Brian37 Wrote:

That sounds extremely exhausting. I flew to Japan once back in 2000, that wiped me out. You really must love driving, I hate driving. But, everyone is different so enjoy it.

Ah I do love driving! I always volunteer to drive, although my friends aren't always keen on riding with me (I live by Interstates 80, 81, and 84, so that means you go 80, 81, and 84 mph on them, right?) I kept having dreams where I would drive way out west very far and such. No drive is longer than 5 hours; it's about 70 hours of driving spread out over 18 days or so

(September 1, 2016 at 10:15 pm)TheRealJoeFish Wrote:
(September 1, 2016 at 9:55 pm)Brian37 Wrote:

Ah I do love driving! I always volunteer to drive, although my friends aren't always keen on riding with me (I live by Interstates 80, 81, and 84, so that means you go 80, 81, and 84 mph on them, right?) I kept having dreams where I would drive way out west very far and such. No drive is longer than 5 hours; it's about 70 hours of driving spread out over 18 days or so

Not speaking about you personally. But in general humans are extremely impractical. The desire to speed is simply an appeal to risk taking, and there is necessary risk taking, like getting to the moon, and ego. I used to like sports cars, but hate them now. Not only is there more risk to injury the faster you go, but because we have raised the national speed limit, we go through tones more oil, on top of stupidly still being stuck on it.  I stick to just under the speed limit to avoid a ticket and I keep my distance from the vehicles in front of me. I figure it this way, I really don't give a fuck where someone needs to go, they aren't going to pay my ticket if I get pulled over. And if they tailgate me, that to me shows they have no concern for the safety of others on the road.
That pigeon could definitely kick the ass of that building... ooh shiny Tongue
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Day 2: Charleston, West Virginia (Part 1: History and State Capitol)

Day two of my trip was a 200-mile drive southwest from Pittsburgh to Charleston, the Capitol of West Virginia. West Virginia is a very rural state: although its population is 1.9 million, Charleston is its largest city at only 50,400 (that would be the 11th-largest city in my home state of Pennsylvania), and among the fifty states only Vermont's largest city is smaller. West Virginia is known as "the only state born of the civil war": while Virginia seceded, the northwestern portion of the state was more aligned with the Union (and, importantly, of course, was secured by Union soldiers for all but 6 weeks of the war). Lincoln declared it a separate state by presidential decree in 1863.

The town of Charleston is located on the Kanawha River, and was actually pretty nice!

Here are some pictures of the State Capitol and the historical monuments on the grounds:

Pictures from Downtown are coming next!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Road trip playlist - looking for suggestions Jackalope 20 1286 August 11, 2021 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Road Rules and jerks..... Brian37 72 5092 March 5, 2019 at 8:31 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Goin on a trip... Joods 16 2012 March 25, 2018 at 12:34 am
Last Post: Joods
  Let's get Aegon to 1,000,000 reps! Aegon 14 1629 September 28, 2017 at 6:54 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Help TRJF name his NEW KITTY!!!!! TheRealJoeFish 52 4413 September 20, 2016 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: account_inactive
  The stuff you find on the side of the road... Socratic Meth Head 17 2261 June 3, 2016 at 8:21 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  My day trip to Daylesford ignoramus 11 2888 January 11, 2016 at 5:25 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Surprise trip to Mt. Evans Ravenshire 3 1065 September 21, 2015 at 12:34 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  People at church excluding and avoiding me on church trip ashasha1212 14 3371 August 25, 2015 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: Exian
  Mom wont let me go to church trip ashbagashba 17 3634 August 7, 2015 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb