Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 9:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Toxoplasmosis of Rage :: Analysis of the activism of lies
Toxoplasmosis of Rage :: Analysis of the activism of lies
I was forwarded this by a friend of mine and I found it most enlightening.

It is called "Toxoplasmosis of Rage"

http://slatestarcodex.com/2014/12/17/the...a-of-rage/

One thing I've found persistently horrendous about people who believe similarly to myself is the proclivity to outrage and stupidity, as well as the tendency in general for people to close ranks at the drop of a hat.

A powerful example would be over the seriousness of rape and the cause to investigate it as fully as one can. Most, if not the overwhelming majority, of Americans believe that rape is a crime. However, given a small set of conditions and we can split the majority into disparate camps.

Consider the rape allegations shamefully put forth by Rolling Stone, illustrating a dubious (and long-cold) case of campus sexual battery and reshaping it into a narrative of conspiracy, improper procedures with the boogeymen many people hate: "fraternities".

As it happens, "Jackie" (the name of the woman puppeteered by Rolling Stone) changes her story from time to time and her close friends (who have come forth) are outraged and hurt. They dispute her claims heavily. And as the facts of the case came out, it becomes increasingly unlikely that the narrative cannot be -- there was no fraternity event, the claimed assailant was not part of said fraternity or even near the place at the date of the alleged crime, etc,.

Here, the spectre is raised that it may all be a fraud. With increasingly weak evidence and claims, the general public should pull back from conclusions. After all, in the lack of evidence, even ordinary claims cannot be considered credible.

That didn't happen, and predictably polarization set in.

I wondered why. Why didn't Rolling Stone, if they were so serious about tackling rape, pick a more credible person? Granted, many rapes, like most crime, aren't full of drama and conspiracy, but they still deserve justice.

Slate Star Codex puts forth the metaphor of Moloch, an anthropomorphic representation of division and chaotic interactions between groups.

Quote:Under Moloch, everyone is irresistably incentivized to ignore the things that unite us in favor of forever picking at the things that divide us in exactly the way that is most likely to make them more divisive. Race relations are at historic lows not because white people and black people disagree on very much, but because the media absolutely worked its tuchus off to find the single issue that white people and black people disagreed over the most and ensure that it was the only issue anybody would talk about. Men’s rights activists and feminists hate each other not because there’s a huge divide in how people of different genders think, but because only the most extreme examples of either side will ever gain traction, and those only when they are framed as attacks on the other side.

Given the discussion being had on "privilege" (such a hard to define word...), I figured this may better shed light onto:

1. Why we get this polarizing shitfests
2. Why Tumblr sucks by design
3. Why our political system and civil discourse is punctuated by fabrications instead of banal but illustrative cases of injustice
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
RE: Toxoplasmosis of Rage :: Analysis of the activism of lies and polarization
Well, shit. Maybe I should've said something polarizing.
Pretty sure it was the thread title, Moros. Toxoplasmosis is not a word that screams "exiting conversation to ensue!" Tongue
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
"exiting" yes, "exciting" no
I can't even edit it now, it'd be obvious. Dodgy
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Seriously though, another place where we've seen this was with recovered memory syndrome from twenty years ago and still continuing.

Freudian slip?
RE: Toxoplasmosis of Rage :: Analysis of the activism of lies
(December 28, 2014 at 9:38 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: Pretty sure it was the thread title, Moros. Toxoplasmosis is not a word that screams "exiting conversation to ensue!" Tongue

I suppose so. I find the more I work, the less capable of effective diction I become. One would think that routine interaction would hone that skill, not dampen it. Perhaps a better title is in order?

(December 28, 2014 at 9:55 pm)whateverist Wrote: Seriously though, another place where we've seen this was with recovered memory syndrome from twenty years ago and still continuing.

Yes, that would be an excellent example, as represented by the "Satanic day care!" panic.

REF: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day-care_s...e_hysteria
Yeah, two of my wife's sisters 'recovered' memories and cut contact with their mother and father. At first we assumed there was something to it and figured we'd need to help her father get through it. But then nothing more was forthcoming from either of them. Just be with us or you're against us. We soon realized they were off their rockers. Now they won't have anything to do with us either and haven't for twenty years. It probably hurts them more than us, but it was much worse for their parents who both died without any resolution.
As someone who lived in SoCal during the McMartin preschool witch-hunt, I learnt early to distrust media representation in the same proportion as it mimicked a steamroller. The more I heard one line of argument, the more I want to hear the other sides.

Sorry PETA, but I'm gonna beat a dead horse.

My daughter is 9 now, so some of the feminist issues are a little more important to me than they were, say, 10 years ago. As a result, I have my ear to the ground for any information on the issue. While I agree with equality for all (the logic behind it being "because duh"), I can't really get behind the movement because the people acting as the mouthpiece are so unpleasant.

I know its some logical fallacy to say "Well, they lack the foresight and tack to see that acting this way will turn people away, so they must be wrong", and that's not my feeling. I would just not want to be around some of these people, it's as simple as that. Now, when I do educate myself a little, it's less to do with statistics and more to do with watching some train wreck video.

Since being repulsed my the moden extreme feminists, I've looked into some of the men's rights stuff. Being the mugwump that I am, I can understand a few of their points, but I remain on the fence, and I'll likely never make up my mind further than just "equality for all" (I know, I'm so brave).

A difference in argument styles that I see between the extremists on both sides and the moderates is that the moderates seem to draw on personal experience, while the extremists seem to be taking on the problems of the perceived community, like a non-centralized position that they couldn't point to. On the whole, it seems entirely unhealthy to live that way.

I will say that if it wasn't for these extremists I wouldn't be aware of some of these issues, so there's that.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lgbtq+ Activism FrustratedFool 12 964 August 13, 2023 at 4:07 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Ghost Guns - one of the left's lies. onlinebiker 33 2139 June 23, 2021 at 5:11 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Creepy future lies ahead nessahanalita 6 760 February 8, 2021 at 3:07 pm
Last Post: no one
  Solid Analysis From Someone Who Lived There Minimalist 3 961 June 30, 2017 at 1:22 am
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  Libertarianism as Method of Analysis Jenny A 3 872 June 11, 2016 at 5:50 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  Lies don't work with young American women! God of Mr. Hanky 5 1704 February 14, 2016 at 1:36 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Compilation of lies told by Hillary Clinton ReptilianPeon 41 8116 January 6, 2016 at 11:48 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
  Campaign Lies Foxaèr 3 1001 April 22, 2014 at 1:40 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Interesting Analysis Minimalist 12 3348 March 4, 2014 at 1:14 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Awsome pro cannabis legalisation activism! Something completely different 5 1970 July 15, 2013 at 10:09 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye