Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 7:19 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Albums of 2014?
Best Albums of 2014?
I listened to a lot of music during the year, so I thought I'd do a list. I'd like to hear what other people thought of 2014.

My list:
10) Indian - From All Purity
9) Aphex Twin - Syro
8) Botanist - VI Flora
7) Run The Jewels - Run The Jewels 2
6) Ice Age - Plowing Into the Field of Love
5) Clipping - CLPPNG
4) The Wytches - Annabel Dream Reader
3) A Silver Mount Zion - Fuck Off, Get Free, We Pour Light on Everything
2) White Suns - Totem
1) Swans - To Be Kind

Honourable Mentions:
Jack White - Lazaretto
The Black Keys - Turn Blue

What about other people? Thoughts on 2014?
RE: Best Albums of 2014?
I can't give a valid opinion.

Since I got a portable Android device, most of 2014 was spent downloading music from the 80s and 90s.... Tongue
My new reference in dark metal: Triptykon's Melana Chasmata
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

The Black Keys are, arguably, my favorite band, but Turn Blue is a flop, IMO, for the most part.

I nominate Arctic Monkeys AM.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
I'm diggin Hozier, Lazaretto, and Arctic Monkeys lately. I think Kimbra's last album came out in 2014, if so, that's up there too.

I'm really lookin forward to Alabama Shakes new album.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
I haven't listened to a lot of albums that came out in 2014, but I just discovered that new Aphex Twin album yesterday. I have no doubt that no matter how many albums I had listened to, it would be the number one.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
@LostLocke:
Hey, that's totally okay. Lots of good music from those decades. Any recomendations?

@Alex K:
I might check that out. Looks pretty damn good.

@Rexbeccarox:
Turn Blue was much less compulsively listenable and doesn't really add a lot to the genres that it's working on. Song are longer, hooks are weaker etc.
But it does a good enough job at it. I'd like to see the new direction being pursued. First song totally rips off pink floyd, though.

Oh, btw, I saw them in concert a while ago Wink

@Exian:
Was AM in 2014? Or have they done a new thing since then?
Thoughts on how AM compares to something like Favourite Worst Nightmare?

I really like some of the tracks on Lazaretto, but I had trouble embracing some of the more country songs. But that's my problem rather than Jack's. Still waiting for him to work on another Dead Weather album. Fingers crossed for 2015!

@Faith No More
Apex Twin is one of my fav electronic artists.
I would've cut two or three track from Syro, but there is still enough to love to make my list. Plus, y'know, it's like, more Aphex Twin, man.
(January 10, 2015 at 10:10 pm)DeadChannel Wrote: @Rexbeccarox:
Turn Blue was much less compulsively listenable and doesn't really add a lot to the genres that it's working on. Song are longer, hooks are weaker etc.
But it does a good enough job at it. I'd like to see the new direction being pursued. First song totally rips off pink floyd, though.

Oh, btw, I saw them in concert a while ago Wink

Like I said, they're arguably my favorite band. Turn Blue is way over-produced, and they lose themselves in it because DangerMouse is a control freak. It worked for them in Attack and Release, Brothers, and El Camino, but I felt they gave him WAY too much control on Turn Blue. I've seen Black Keys live seven times, and live is definitely their forte. My favorite album is Magic Potion, which, IMO, is raw but still refined and has no stupid extras like Danger Mouse as a producer. They don't need him.

The BlakRoc album is fucking amazing, too.
Magic Potion needs to get more love. Good stuff.

Oh, and BlakRoc kicks ass.
Yeah, I guess I have to scratch AM off the list. I only heard if them in 2014. I faintly remember hearing stirrings of them earlier than that in the states, but last year was when I finally gave in to see what everyone was talking about.

I'm such a damn fanboy of Jack White's that I'm probably the least credible critic of his music. I love the country, blues, and delta blues influences he's able to work in. I will say Lazaretto wasn't as strong as Blunderbuss, but time has a way of strengthening music. Particularly with odd musical ideas. Like I said though, I'm always willing to give him a chance. He's untouchable. Although, Brittany Howard, if she keeps it up, is gonna give him a run for his money as my personal music god.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  12 New Harry Potter Stories for December 2014 ManMachine 0 624 December 18, 2014 at 9:19 am
Last Post: ManMachine
  Most streamed single in 2014 Foxaèr 2 914 December 13, 2014 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen