Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 9:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hello
hello
Hello all.

I go by goodwithoutgod in forums. I am an active duty military officer with 29 years of service thus far. I have a degree in religious studies with specialization in christianity from saint leo university, and I am finishing my masters in criminal justice with specialization in critical incident management. I am happily married with 4 kids. A little bit about me below..

I came about my atheism from a different angle then usual. I went from christian, to spiritualist, to agnostic to atheist, the more I learned the less I believed. I have spent my life learning, I have much to learn yet, as we all do. I freely admit my biggest challenge these days is to neutrally review new information without bias, it is a struggle. Especially after over 30 years of research. In my humble opinion, the problem isnt even religion per se, the true problem is faith...because when you ask people why they believe, the answers are surprising...I try to use that as the stepping stone to assist them in slowly learning more about themselves, why they believe, what belief is, opening up the myth for them so that they can do an internal analysis, and hopefully gain the courage to learn more, and believe less. Again, I dont know the answers, I just know that faith, especially for me, is a failed epistemology.

For many years I was of the "I don't believe, live and let live, why would I care what someone else believes" type of outlook. But I feel that religion slithers its way into politics and shapes the laws of this land which affect everyone, it uses fear to brainwash people, and even more despicably, children into believing absolute BS. It is evil to the core, and the ultimate pyramid scheme..money goes up, nothing of value comes down. it preys on the sick, the gullible, the ignorant, the elderly and the uneducated. Its supporters financially and politically use their organized power to block stem cell research that could lead to the curing of deadly diseases, to block a woman's right to abort, to teach creationism in public schools, etc etc..

This is the reason why as an educated intelligent human being it is my moral responsibility to fight the corrosive creep of religion where ever I find it. To look the other way is to imply by inaction that it is ok, and religion is anything but ok. The moderate religious followers who go to church, seek out fellowship, civil community outreach and support of the homeless and poor are great factors of religion, but we don't need religion to have those in society. There are secular organizations that do the same thing...like foundation beyond belief. Just my opinion of course. But this is why i have been self jarred into more assertive action versus religion.

So that's me. Smile
You, not a mythical god, are the author of your book of life, make it one worth reading..and living.
RE: hello
Hey, GWG. Actually I don't think your journey is all that unusual. Learning makes for poor church goers. The ones who most studiously avoid learning anything make the best parishioners. I think that is an old catholic saying but it applies for most of the sob's. Enjoy yourself here.
Welcome GWG Smile
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Welcome. Thank you for your service.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
Thanks all for the kind words and warm welcome, I hope to contribute in anyway I can.
You, not a mythical god, are the author of your book of life, make it one worth reading..and living.
(January 12, 2015 at 9:33 pm)goodwithoutgod Wrote: Especially after over 30 years of research. In my humble opinion, the problem isnt even religion per se, the true problem is faith...because when you ask people why they believe, the answers are surprising...I try to use that as the stepping stone to assist them in slowly learning more about themselves, why they believe, what belief is, opening up the myth for them so that they can do an internal analysis, and hopefully gain the courage to learn more, and believe less. Again, I dont know the answers, I just know that faith, especially for me, is a failed epistemology.

Welcome GWG!

Have you read Peter Boghossian's "Manual for Creating Atheists"? The central premise is as you say, that faith is a failed epistemology and the root of the problem. It's a good read. He's a philosophy professor at Portland State, in Portland of all places.

In any case, stick around and see what you can find. Lots of critters fair and vile to be found.
(January 13, 2015 at 6:14 pm)JesusHChrist Wrote:
(January 12, 2015 at 9:33 pm)goodwithoutgod Wrote: Especially after over 30 years of research. In my humble opinion, the problem isnt even religion per se, the true problem is faith...because when you ask people why they believe, the answers are surprising...I try to use that as the stepping stone to assist them in slowly learning more about themselves, why they believe, what belief is, opening up the myth for them so that they can do an internal analysis, and hopefully gain the courage to learn more, and believe less. Again, I dont know the answers, I just know that faith, especially for me, is a failed epistemology.

Welcome GWG!

Have you read Peter Boghossian's "Manual for Creating Atheists"? The central premise is as you say, that faith is a failed epistemology and the root of the problem. It's a good read. He's a philosophy professor at Portland State, in Portland of all places.

In any case, stick around and see what you can find. Lots of critters fair and vile to be found.

Yes I have that one, love it, I have quite the personal library. We have a library in our home with over 6,000 books, vast majority of which are antiques, but I have a shelf full of hitchens, beirlein, pessin, boghossian, barker, mills, crossan etc. Smile
(January 13, 2015 at 6:52 pm)goodwithoutgod Wrote: Yes I have that one, love it, I have quite the personal library. We have a library in our home with over 6,000 books, vast majority of which are antiques, but I have a shelf full of hitchens, beirlein, pessin, boghossian, barker, mills, crossan etc. Smile

That was the last book I read. Since I don't travel for business much anymore, I don't get much reading time in. Great way to kill time during air travel.

6000 is quite a library!
(January 13, 2015 at 6:55 pm)JesusHChrist Wrote:
(January 13, 2015 at 6:52 pm)goodwithoutgod Wrote: Yes I have that one, love it, I have quite the personal library. We have a library in our home with over 6,000 books, vast majority of which are antiques, but I have a shelf full of hitchens, beirlein, pessin, boghossian, barker, mills, crossan etc. Smile

That was the last book I read. Since I don't travel for business much anymore, I don't get much reading time in. Great way to kill time during air travel.

6000 is quite a library!

yeah the wife collects antique books and has since she was 12 yo....she is an old soul Smile course, that is probably why she married this ol man hehe, as she is 15 years my junior Smile

Love to read, something about holding a book...
(January 13, 2015 at 6:56 pm)goodwithoutgod Wrote: course, that is probably why she married this ol man hehe, as she is 15 years my junior Smile

Hmmm, another cradle robber. My man! My GF is 8 years my junior.

It does mean we get to tease them about our existence before television, microwave ovens or the movable type printing press. I do miss the occasional brontosaurus burger now and again.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Hello Hello loush 17 6016 December 13, 2010 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: theophilus
  Hello hello! DgyJff 8 3650 August 30, 2010 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: RachelSkates