Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:00 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
US Teachers have trouble teaching evolution (Oct 27th, 2008)
US Teachers have trouble teaching evolution (Oct 27th, 2008)
http://www.qi.com/news/item.php?id=790
Quite interesting.
RE: US Teachers have trouble teaching evolution (Oct 27th, 2008)
I'm glad someone is taking a stand down there. Just from talking to people of faith about evolution, I can tell that trying to teach religious kids would not be the easiest thing in the world.
(November 11, 2008 at 7:33 pm)lukec Wrote: I'm glad someone is taking a stand down there. Just from talking to people of faith about evolution, I can tell that trying to teach religious kids would not be the easiest thing in the world.
Indeed. Its a hard job. Its hard to reason with unreason. In other words its hard to reason with 'faith'.
(November 17, 2008 at 10:41 pm)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote:
(November 11, 2008 at 7:33 pm)lukec Wrote: I'm glad someone is taking a stand down there. Just from talking to people of faith about evolution, I can tell that trying to teach religious kids would not be the easiest thing in the world.
Indeed. Its a hard job. Its hard to reason with unreason. In other words its hard to reason with 'faith'.

Hypothetically speaking what would you do if science found a way to prove that the earth was created and there was no evolution?
I would change my mind, absolutely! If there was evidence to support a creator (not scriptural evidence) I would have to change my views. That's the essence of a scientific point of view, in my mind. I can't think of who said it at the moment, sorry, but I remember a quote by a creationist going something like, "Even if all the evidence in the world supported evolution, I still would not believe it, because that is not what the bible tells me." Of course, that is not an exact quote, but the gist is there.
(November 17, 2008 at 11:42 pm)Daystar Wrote:

Hypothetically speaking what would you do if science found a way to prove that the earth was created and there was no evolution?

I'd pick up my jawbone from the floor and change my mind.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(November 18, 2008 at 12:21 am)lukec Wrote: I would change my mind, absolutely! If there was evidence to support a creator (not scriptural evidence) I would have to change my views. That's the essence of a scientific point of view, in my mind. I can't think of who said it at the moment, sorry, but I remember a quote by a creationist going something like, "Even if all the evidence in the world supported evolution, I still would not believe it, because that is not what the bible tells me." Of course, that is not an exact quote, but the gist is there.

But then what if they changed their mind again. Suddenly there was something else other than creation, and then they went back to evolution and then they said they had no idea read the Bible? What then?
(November 18, 2008 at 7:10 am)leo-rcc Wrote:
(November 17, 2008 at 11:42 pm)Daystar Wrote:

I'd pick up my jawbone from the floor and change my mind.

You had better not leave it laying around, they will stamp "Missing Link" on it and send it out with Dawkins on the Talk Show Circuit. You could buy Tee shirts and buttons.
That's a lot of what if's. And what if they said read the Shruti and Smritis?
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(November 18, 2008 at 11:50 am)leo-rcc Wrote: That's a lot of what if's. And what if they said read the Shruti and Smritis?

Sure! All of it. And they are at least creative enough to make up complicated theories about those as well, if they changed the format so as to be sponsered by those guys as well.

Scientist could be the next gurus and get published and grants and be invited to all the right parties.
(November 17, 2008 at 10:41 pm)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: Indeed. Its a hard job. Its hard to reason with unreason. In other words its hard to reason with 'faith'.

The vast majority of teachers in the US graduated at the very bottom of their class. You want to see how hard it is to reason with unreason? Go here and watch me try to explain to the atheists there how the Bible calls Heli Joseph's father because that is the way they did it back then. I was called a liar and banned for refusing to apologize.
(November 17, 2008 at 11:42 pm)Daystar Wrote: Hypothetically speaking what would you do if science found a way to prove that the earth was created and there was no evolution?
If science found a way to prove the earth was created and the evidence was there to back it up, I would of course be naturally skeptical but would eventually be persuaded. That is the scientific method at work.

If they changed again, I would of course go back, because science has a remarkable way of correcting itself. So I really don't care about the ultimate truth, just what appears to be the ultimate truth Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evolution "fails" AKA "where god seems to have got it wrong" Duty 44 2124 February 6, 2022 at 8:56 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Miami school bars vaccinated teachers from seeing students zebo-the-fat 8 995 April 28, 2021 at 4:04 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Aw, More Trouble For Creationism... BrianSoddingBoru4 10 1597 December 27, 2016 at 9:41 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Trouble waking up Exian 46 5405 September 8, 2015 at 11:43 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Intelligent design type evolution vs naturalism type evolution. Mystic 59 30301 April 6, 2013 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Teaching Evolution in OK thesummerqueen 21 6551 February 25, 2012 at 2:38 am
Last Post: passionatefool